Kimber Talk Forums banner

Colt AR 15 News

3K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  motormac 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Colt capitulated to the left years ago too. They were going to stop selling to the public back then. Other than an AR-15, (purchased long ago, when Colt was the only real choice o the market), I have never owned a Colt firearm. With their penchant to abandon their base market, at the drop of a hat, I see no reason to change. I prefer Rugers anyway.

Reactions: JC45
#4 · (Edited)
I had read the article a couple of weeks ago. They are going to move their resources to the military sector of their business, as they are slow in consumer products delivery, and behind in their military contracts. More military contracts are coming into the system. Maybe, fewer are buying Colt products. Now that Springfield, S&W, etc. have come out with new products... is Colt is playing second fiddle? I went to Barrett, and I picked up a pre-owned M-15 Armalite.

#6 ·
I worked for many years for Colt Industries in a branch called Holley Carburetors. When I completed 10 Years I received a tie pin with the Colt Emblem on it. When I wanted my retirement that I was vested in I had to call Colt HRO to get it started. Who would have thought?

#11 ·
BigDog is correct. When I was shopping for my first AR I passed on buying a LE6920 and bought the $700 Bushmaster Carbon 15 instead.
Now days almost every sellers table at gun shows has at least 2 or 3 AR's for sale and 80% of people walking around selling has one or two hanging on there shoulder.

IMO Colt's departure from the AR market will not be missed.
Would I like to own one yeah kind of but I'm certain prices will inflate even more than they already are so I probably won't buy a Colt AR.

Reactions: motormac and JC45
#15 ·
BigDog is correct. When I was shopping for my first AR I passed on buying a LE6920 and bought the $700 Bushmaster Carbon 15 instead.
Now days almost every sellers table at gun shows has at least 2 or 3 AR's for sale and 80% of people walking around selling has one or two hanging on there shoulder.

IMO Colt's departure from the AR market will not be missed.
Would I like to own one yeah kind of but I'm certain prices will inflate even more than they already are so I probably won't buy a Colt AR.
I agree Arland, there are plenty of other companies making ARs. I picked up a Stag Model 2 at a gun show when Obama got into office. It's a great AR that hasn't once missed a beat.

#16 ·
What I think?

I know - Colt cut their union labor force from 500 to less than 300. That resulted in a union lawsuit that is ongoing.

I think - Colt secured government contracts and was faced with a choice of either increasing their union workforce or halting commercial sales to meet government contract orders.

-------------

I know - Colt LE6920 is a well built base rifle at a reasonable price.

I think - Few gun owners understand nor care about what goes into an AR and don't see much value in a Colt versus any other rifle that looks similar but is cheaper. And really... the cheapest rifles will serve the majority of consumer uses anyway, particularly the most common use of holding down the safe 365 days a year. ;)

#18 ·
I have looked at the Colt LE6920 several times, but walked away. Later, I bought the Armalite M-15, so I didn't need the new Colt. I have had the Barrett GI REC-7 for many years, as it was a government contract overrun offered to previous Barrett owners. I have a custom carbon fiber upper, that I picked up at a reasonable price. I may still look for a Colt. I had a Colt Trooper Mk III 4inch .357mag, that I sold. It had a very bad trigger, both SA, and DA.

#20 ·
Toy Trigger Machine Font Air gun

Like I said earlier, if they're not going to be selling to the public anymore, I'm glad I've got mine. I don't think I would sell it for twice what I paid for it. It's only going to go up in value just because of that little pony stamped on the receiver. This photo is not of mine. My LE 6920 sports and EOTech with a flip over magnifier.

And Phil, I'm not talking about the Colt/Walther/Umarex/Mattel 22 M4.

#22 ·
I have three Colt 1911's, 1 Colt Agent that was my Dad's, 1 Python I bought a long time ago.

1911 Wiley Clapp Stainless is on a list but not high priority.

#26 ·
With this just being announced-

Announced by the US Department of Defense for 19 September, 2019.

Colt's Manufacturing Co. LLC, West Hartford, Connecticut, was awarded a $41,924,594 firm-fixed-price Foreign Military Sales (Afghanistan, Bahrain, Djibouti, Federated States of Micronesia, Hungary, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Macedonia, Marshall Islands, Palau, St. Vincent and Grenadines, and Tunisia) contract for production for the M4 and M4A1 carbines. One bid was solicited with one bid received. Work locations and funding will be determined with each order, with an estimated completion date of Sept. 18, 2024. U.S. Army Contracting Command, New Jersey, is the contracting activity (W15QKN-19-D-0116).

On the heels of this-

18 Nov 2018 Army contract.

Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC, West Hartford, Connecticut, was awarded an $88,607,109 modification (P00008) to contract W15QKN-15-D-0102 for M4 and M4A1 carbines. Work will be performed in West Hartford, Connecticut, with an estimated completion date of Sept. 25, 2020. Fiscal 2019 and 2020 operations and maintenance, Army funds in the amount of $88,607,109 were obligated at the time of the award. U.S. Army Contracting Command, New Jersey, is the contracting activity.

-----------------

Maybe Colt just didn't have the capacity to continue commercial sales without adding more union employees.

#27 ·
Just read this AM that a LGS in Tempe, AZ held a "Beto Special" sale on AR 15s as a result of his comment "I will take your AR15s.
As a result the LGS sold out all their ARs.
NRA called Beto the best AR salesman of the year.

I bought a couple of Colt Le 6920's a few years back when Hillary promised to take ARs when she was elected.
Guess I'll just hang on to those.

#28 ·
I was at the Split Rock show today, and I looked for Colt ARs. I did not see any, and I walked the show four times. Maybe, I missed them. Last year, at a different show, there were over a hundred Colt ARs. This show was smaller than expected, and had only a small crowd, due to great weather. I saw a few dealers who were stacked deep with customers, but most of the show was gawkers.

#30 ·
If you find a Colt AR be prepared for sticker shock.

Colt AR prices have already gone up or maybe they have been higher prior to the big announcement.

Reactions: motormac and JC45
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.