...new Marlin 1894 :-) - Page 3 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Other Firearms

Like Tree74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2019, 04:43 PM   #21

Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Nice score there, Mark!

I just returned from a week in Alaska and saw your post. Did you say "lever guns"?

Like you, I've got a fondness for lever guns also. My modest collection consists of two Winchester 9422's, one in 22LR, the other in 22WMR. The 22 Mag wears a Lyman rear tang peep, the 22LR wears the sweet "One Ragged Hole" barrel-mounted peep sight.

I've also got an older Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag with a Williams peep aperture rear sight. Now I'll have to dig it out of the back of the safe and check the date markings. It's the companion to my two S&W M29's, a M629 Classic 6", and an uncataloged Lew Horton special run M29 Classic Hunter 3" bbl with unfluted cylinder.

I can hit baseball-size rocks easily at 100 yards with the Marlin, and it accounted for a nice 4-point (Western count) mulie buck some years ago. Complete penetration at 85 yards from a shoulder shot with one of my hard-cast 250gr Keith bullet.

Love those lever guns!

The 9422 WMR in the rat patch last year.....

Late Edit: Question for the 'experts'....my rifle only has the marking "JM" on the left side of the barrel, no other markings. Any guess as to approximate year of mfg?
...I'm far from an expert "but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night". For Marlin lever rifles the cross bolt safety was introduced in '83 I believe. So any gun without the safety would have to date prior to then. Any of those older pre safety models are in that "Holy Grail" category. Sounds like your rifle is one of those babies :-)
Rick in Oregon and motormac like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-02-2019, 05:11 PM   #22

oh man, you guys! You're driving me crazy!

Ever since the days of "The Rifleman" I've wanted a lever action rifle/carbine. Don't have one yet, but hell I'm only 71....I'll keep watching for the one that I can afford!
Rick in Oregon and motormac like this.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:29 PM   #23

Henry prices are super high compared to the price, that I had paid for the Golden Boy, and the Big Boy, but they are great rifles. I had purchased large lever loops, when they were first offered by Henry.
Bigdog likes this.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:21 AM   #24

These are two of my lever rifles, as the others are not here at this time. The Savage Model 99E take down .300 Sav with peep (1924.) The Ithaca Model 49-R .22LR, which is the one that should never have been designed, let alone fabricated, and built. It does not feed, as the nose of the round drops as it elevates. I had no problem with feeding until I got it back from my Brother, who had it in Utah for a short while. I purchased this in a gun store in Ballston Spa, NY, near Saratoga Springs, when I was working at a nuclear power plant during the winter of 1972. (The Model 49 was a single shot .22LR)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0491.JPG (1.30 MB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0494.JPG (1.30 MB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0492.JPG (1.26 MB, 2 views)

Last edited by motormac; 10-08-2019 at 10:06 PM.
motormac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:50 AM   #25

That Savage is beyond cool and worth a good bit of money too. Nice!
motormac likes this.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:37 AM   #26

Henry Big Boy, .44 Mag with Nikon 3x9. This is a working rifle... it's my Pig Kill'n shooter. I thought about notching the butt stock for each Porker it put down (around 17 I think) but it's just too purdy.... I use my .308 when its more open ground hunting and the shots are normally much longer but up at the Ranch in East Texas... this is a one and done rifle There is just something about shooting a lever action that stirs memories of the Duke, with the reigns in his teeth shooting the bad guys.... and of course the Rifleman... I still watch that show, I know it's stupid but I can't help myself....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0381.JPG (2.07 MB, 3 views)
Sig Nightmare Carry .45
Sig P229 Legion .40

Tomorrow is promised to no one.

Last edited by Doons; 10-09-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Doons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:34 AM   #27

Originally Posted by KCJeep View Post
That Savage is beyond cool and worth a good bit of money too. Nice!
My Father's Uncle Charlie pulled me aside, with my Father, and he asked me if I wanted to buy the rifle. Naturally, I said, "Yes!" I got the money together, and paid him the $65, that he had requested. This was in 1964. It is one of my favorites!
cousinmark, Bigdog and KCJeep like this.

Last edited by motormac; 10-09-2019 at 10:33 PM.
motormac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:59 AM   #28

Originally Posted by motormac View Post
My Father's Uncle Charlie pulled me aside, with my Father, and he asked me if I wanted to buy the rifle. Naturally, I said, "Yes!" I got the money together, and paid him the $65, that he had requested. This was in 1964. It is one of my favorites!
Sweet! It would be one of my favorites too. What a classic.
motormac likes this.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #29

...Update on my 1894.

I had a call from Marlin on Monday to let me know they were done with the service. That's a 1 week turnaround!!! Nice!!! The CS guy said they replaced both the the stock and fore end as well as the bands and screws on the fore end and barrel.. She'll be at the UPS hub for me on Monday morning and hopefully have some nicely fit matching furniture :-) Great effort by the folks in CNY :-)
motormac likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote