• 2 Post By Mari41
  • 1 Post By motormac
  • 1 Post By cousinmark
  • 2 Post By If1Hitu
  • 1 Post By motormac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2019, 12:45 PM   #1

9/30 Marlin 1894...

So, "good news bad news". On the bright side the 1894's action has smoothed out nicely after the inaugural range trip and cleaning. Yesterday I ran 10 rounds of Cowboy Action 200gr RNSP seated to the target lower left, 20 rounds of Cowboy Action 240gr .44 Special lead SWC, seated to the upper left (I had a few hitches last time out with this ammo smoothly chambering, had to jiggle the lever) this time no problems. Up next was 10 Hornady 240gr XTP .44 magnum, seated to the lower right and lastly 10 Cowboy Action 200gr RNSP .44 magnum, standing, upper right target. Again I struggled keeping my glasses from fogging so I'm confident outside without a breathing mask I could do better. Everything ran fine though so I'm happy about that. Target was at 25 yards.
The "bad news" was that I discovered the fore end groove was poorly cut the other night. The receiver end is fine but up front, one side has about 5mm of wood and the other about 3mm, it's cut off center. I spoke with the folks at Marlin and they offered to send a replacement part. While cleaning I figured I'd remove the piece but found it was bound by the barrel lugs. I could probably tap it out with a mallet but it occurred to me getting the new one in could be an issue? Why get aggravated when I have a warranty right? So, another call to Marlin and she's headed north. Although this was hardly noticeable I'm sure I'd see it every time I looked at the rifle, kinda like a crooked picture on the wall :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2219.jpg (1.89 MB, 6 views)
Chuck43, 2sharp2, KCJeep and 1 others like this.

Last edited by cousinmark; 10-01-2019 at 02:31 PM.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-01-2019, 03:26 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Nice shooting Mark.
cousinmark and motormac like this.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:27 AM   #3

Well that is a bummer but good call on having it fixed. If it bugs you (it would me too) it would ruin an otherwise great rifle for you.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2019, 04:02 AM   #4

Originally Posted by KCJeep View Post
Well that is a bummer but good call on having it fixed. If it bugs you (it would me too) it would ruin an otherwise great rifle for you.
+1
Mari41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:52 AM   #5

QC inspection? Aw, the guy will never notice this little bit. You must be a Deutscher machinist!
cousinmark likes this.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:02 AM   #6

Originally Posted by motormac View Post
QC inspection? Aw, the guy will never notice this little bit. You must be a Deutscher machinist!
Yup, it's hard to believe anyone missed the flaws while assembling the rifle? This was a GB auction win, I was able to verify the production date as '16 and thought Marlin had gotten everything dialed in by then so I went ahead and bid. I figured if there were a squirrel in the tree I'd send her in?
In the past 4 years I've had 2 Kimbers, a Ruger and a CZ need warranty service. Granted these weren't cosmetic issues and an in hand inspection wouldn't turn them up. I'm not going to flame Marlin. On principal I will hold ANY manufacturer to the fire though. Settling for a "lemon" goes WAY against the grain with me. My motto is "get it right or you're getting it back", again and again if need be :-)
motormac likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:37 AM   #7

That some good shooting.

Yes I am a Democrat,that love his guns!
If1Hitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:36 PM   #8

One of my friends is a German machinist, actually born in Hamburg in 1938. His Father was in charge of the electrical plant. His apprenticeship started with a block of steel, a file, and a square. He had to make the block of steel 3" cube, flat, square, plumb, and level in order to pass his first project. He is an outstanding machinist.
cousinmark likes this.