A .380 ACP vs. a 9mm - Page 3 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Other Firearms
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2019, 01:00 PM   #21

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Your welcome and loved helping you find the seller. It was to good a deal to pass up, if you didn't buy it I was going to! Even tho I didn't really need it.

I'm 110% certain when you fire it your gonna love it!
That's what friends are for, right?

Good thing I didn't see that for sale either, or it would have come home here for sure. Congrats there, Skip, Ultra's in both calibers....what could be better?

Next time Arland, tell ME too!

Just for fun, my two Ultra's in .45 and 9mm:

And Skip, I know you have a nice Sparks VM2 that fits BOTH pistols!
2sharp2 and motormac like this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-13-2019, 03:18 PM   #22

Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Disclaimer: When it's brutally hot here, and skimpy shorts are the order of the day, I've been known to covertly carry my dinky little Seecamp LWS pocket-rocket in...... .32ACP! Better than a sharp stick.
I always wanted a Seecamp! Neat little gun. Never had the money to spare when I found a nice one at a reasonable price!
Rick in Oregon and motormac like this.

"Ancient hatreds & modern weapons-that's my kind of show" - George Carlin

"Realism can sometimes be mistaken for pessimism!"
© 2019

Join Gun Owners of America
https://gunowners.org/join/
OLE442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:20 AM   #23

My little Kimber just seems a tad heavy about mid-afternoon. I just need a concealable pistol for the mall, and then only to get my wife out an exit if everything goes sideways.

For that, I like the SIG P238 and a spare magazine. It's the pistol I hope I never have to use.

Now, my little Kimber is the pistol I'll brandish when I'm in over my head. Then again, when I imagine that scenario I wind up not going to those places!
motormac likes this.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:46 AM   #24

Humm, with that post, I'm uncertain why you even asked the original question in the first place. Seems you had/have your mind made up before you posted originally.

Or were you just trolling to get justification in carrying a .380? Again...
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:21 AM   #25

Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Or were you just trolling to get justification in carrying a .380? Again...
No, not a bit, it's just that I'm almost 70 years old.

Now, if I was the same loud-mouth twenty year old skirt-catcher I was (Oh, fire was invented that year, and we were all excited because we could now see the dirt that was invented the year before) in that era, I would have bored you with paragraphs of minutia to support my claims.

But things like guns, knives, jeans and motorcycles are all personal possessions, and what's right for some is wrong for many.

My choice of the .380 ACP is just a matter of being careful as an older man. Most of the "danger" I now face is at the mall. And not only is that confrontation usually within arms' reach, but a shot that perforates might hit someone else.

Now, when I was about 28, there was a local gunshop called "Castle Rock Supply." One owner was planning on being a cop, and the other guy thought he was already a mercenary.

They would load their 1911 magazines with a hardball round, then a hollowpoint round, then another hardball round and so on.

Frankly I'm glad Massad Ayoob wrote articles on acting like an adult.
motormac likes this.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:35 PM   #26

if you like going old time, my ppk 380 is a good carry pistol, once you learn how to shoot it without getting slide bite.
Whit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:47 PM   #27

Originally Posted by Whit View Post
if you like going old time, my ppk 380 is a good carry pistol, once you learn how to shoot it without getting slide bite.
PPK? Kewl... My PPK/S has been in the family for about 45 years. I haven't shot it much--a little as a kid, and only a couple magazines in recent years. I kept it because it's kinda neat, and it's almost a James Bond gun. Just last week my wife was asking me about .380s, thinking she might want to start carrying one. So last weekend I brought out a selection that she might like.

I wanted to burn a little ammo through the little gun, so I loaded up, and POP! POP! POP! POP! POP! POP! POP! POP!

What was THAT? I thought I was trippin', so I had to pull out another .380 to be sure. My little Colt with a recoil operated action was like shooting squibs by comparison.

The Walther is certainly a beautiful gun, and I appreciate the hammer-dropping DA/SA action. But the straight blowback makes shooting the gun a little less tame than one might expect from a .380.

So my PPK/S is back in the safe, and will only come out for special occasions.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:35 AM   #28

If you take the benefits of the .380 to the extreme you could argue for a .22 but putting more power into a threat is desirable. If you are noticeably more accurate with .380 then might be better option but I never found 9mm to be too jumpy even in my small p938. Of course the 45acp was invented because the 9mm wasn’t great at killing the enemy.
Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM   #29

Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
If you take the benefits of the .380 to the extreme you could argue for a .22 but putting more power into a threat is desirable.
Actually my desire for a defensive handgun is to grab my wife and find an exit without firing a single shot!

When I first started to read firearms magazines I saw where the older authors put a lot of attention on knowing your surroundings and getting out while the getting was good. As a younger man I found it odd that an armed CCW holder with lots of training would run rather than dig his heels in.

Now I'm the older guy. I hope my defensive pistol is never used, and I can find that big, red, beautiful "exit sign" while I turn tail!
Chuck43, Dude22 and RustyIron like this.
Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM   #30

The only 9MM I own is a West German Army surplus Walther P-1, as part of my milsurp collection.
For years I pocket carried either a 357 magnum snubby or a Charter Arms 44 Special.
But, given that we live in a very low violent crime area, I have “down graded “ to a Ruger LCP2, 380 Auto. Light, flat, small, it rides perfectly in my front jean pocket. I keep a spare magazine in a nylon knife pouch on my belt.

I’m perfectly comfortable with it, going into town.
RustyIron, The Tourist and Jflytle like this.