Kimber Talk Forums banner

Grip screw bushings

4K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  bad ninja 
#1 ·
I was going to change to thinner grips on a 1911 with an aluminum frame. It looks like the factory bushings are too tall for the thinner grips. It appears the bushings may be staked and didn't want to come out when I tried a to unscrew them. I don't want to damage the frame, so I was considering trying to either dremel or file the bushing down a little bit. Has anyone tried something like this before, they would'nt need lot taken off.

#2 ·
I'd contact the manufacturer to see what's going on? They may have been installed with a thread locker? Staked sounds unusual for a bushing? What kind of shooter is this anyways???
The manufacturer of the grips probably offers bushings to go with the grips you're looking at as well as cool screws too.

#8 ·
The manufacturer of the grips probably offers bushings to go with the grips you're looking at as well as cool screws too.
Getting the proper bushings and screws isn't a problem, removing the existing bushings that stick up too far is the problem. I am afraid Colt staked them, so I am leary about trying to back them out of an aluminum frame. They stick up about 1/8th of an inch above the starter threads, that's where the idea of filing it down a bit came from, but after reading some other comments, maybe a bad idea.

#3 ·
If it is a Kimber they are not staked-blue loctite only-they can be a little tight when new.I would stay clear of using a dremel any where near the bushings.
If a person messes up the bushing hole there are oversize bushings a person can get-but the important part is to not strip it out by the use of improper methods or tools.

#4 ·
If you’re not already doing so I suggest you use the proper gun smith tools for the bushings. Two different sizes, one for thin and one for normal size. No chance to slip out and scratch the frame like when using a screwdriver and you can put some torque into removing them.

#5 · (Edited)
Has anyone tried something like this before,
Yeah, I've done all sorts of things with all kinds of metal.

What will happen is when you're filing or grinding, the material you're cutting away will get pushed down into the existing threads. Starting the screw will be next to impossible at this point. Countersinking and chasing the threads would certainly be needed. And unless you already have skill in this area, your gun will look like someone was hacking on the bushings. And don't forget, your screws are likely to be too long, as well.

Like the others said, they're probably Loctite'd in. Buy shorter replacements. To remove the existing ones, get a hair dryer to heat up the bushings, then try a pliers with the jaws wrapped in leather or cloth. Try not to bugger up the bushings. And try not to squish them.

#9 ·
Double and triple check before attempting to remove the bushings. Make sure they are both threaded and staked, in most cases when the bushings are staked they are not, repeat not threaded. Remove a staked in bushing and good luck replacing it.

Reactions: wfm
#11 ·
I noticed when shopping online for thin 1911 grips, almost every source that offers thin grips also offers the short bushings and screws to match.

Every set of thin grips I own were ordered with the appropriate set of short bushings and screws.....no problems at all.

But be very careful removing those staked-in bushings....you've now entered the "danger zone"......:eek:

#14 ·
Before I did any machining work on the existing bushings I would at least call Colt and explain the situation to them and get their advice. If they are staked I personally wouldn't be worried about filing them down you can always get the proper size thread tap if you think you've damaged any threads in the bushing. If they are staked trying to remove them would be another whole ball game. You don't want to mess up the frame. The aluminum is much softer than the bushings themselves you don't want to strip the frame threads if there are any.
I assume you're trying to install those fancy new Colt G 10 grips.