Grip screw bushings - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Other Firearms

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2019, 01:02 PM   #1
wfm

Grip screw bushings

I was going to change to thinner grips on a 1911 with an aluminum frame. It looks like the factory bushings are too tall for the thinner grips. It appears the bushings may be staked and didn't want to come out when I tried a to unscrew them. I don't want to damage the frame, so I was considering trying to either dremel or file the bushing down a little bit. Has anyone tried something like this before, they would'nt need lot taken off.
wfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-23-2019, 01:24 PM   #2

I'd contact the manufacturer to see what's going on? They may have been installed with a thread locker? Staked sounds unusual for a bushing? What kind of shooter is this anyways???
The manufacturer of the grips probably offers bushings to go with the grips you're looking at as well as cool screws too.
wfm likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:41 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to krunchnik
If it is a Kimber they are not staked-blue loctite only-they can be a little tight when new.I would stay clear of using a dremel any where near the bushings.
If a person messes up the bushing hole there are oversize bushings a person can get-but the important part is to not strip it out by the use of improper methods or tools.
wfm likes this.

Old 11-23-2019, 02:55 PM   #4

If you’re not already doing so I suggest you use the proper gun smith tools for the bushings. Two different sizes, one for thin and one for normal size. No chance to slip out and scratch the frame like when using a screwdriver and you can put some torque into removing them.
wfm likes this.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:32 PM   #5

Originally Posted by wfm View Post
Has anyone tried something like this before,
Yeah, I've done all sorts of things with all kinds of metal.

What will happen is when you're filing or grinding, the material you're cutting away will get pushed down into the existing threads. Starting the screw will be next to impossible at this point. Countersinking and chasing the threads would certainly be needed. And unless you already have skill in this area, your gun will look like someone was hacking on the bushings. And don't forget, your screws are likely to be too long, as well.

Like the others said, they're probably Loctite'd in. Buy shorter replacements. To remove the existing ones, get a hair dryer to heat up the bushings, then try a pliers with the jaws wrapped in leather or cloth. Try not to bugger up the bushings. And try not to squish them.
wfm likes this.

Join the NRA

Last edited by RustyIron; 11-23-2019 at 08:48 PM.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:34 PM   #6

I use a soldering iron to heat up the locktite on the bushings then use the bushing tool to remove. A little heat loosens up the loctite.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:49 PM   #7
wfm

This is a 10 year old Colt Defender, and from what I can find out, Colt does stake some bushings. Looking on the inside of the handle, I see on each bushing, 4 slight indents 90 degrees apart on bottom of bushings.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:58 PM   #8
wfm

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
The manufacturer of the grips probably offers bushings to go with the grips you're looking at as well as cool screws too.
Getting the proper bushings and screws isn't a problem, removing the existing bushings that stick up too far is the problem. I am afraid Colt staked them, so I am leary about trying to back them out of an aluminum frame. They stick up about 1/8th of an inch above the starter threads, that's where the idea of filing it down a bit came from, but after reading some other comments, maybe a bad idea.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:03 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Double and triple check before attempting to remove the bushings. Make sure they are both threaded and staked, in most cases when the bushings are staked they are not, repeat not threaded. Remove a staked in bushing and good luck replacing it.
wfm likes this.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:04 PM   #10

Originally Posted by 427malibu View Post
I use a soldering iron to heat up the locktite on the bushings then use the bushing tool to remove. A little heat loosens up the loctite.
This usually works. Challis grips makes short bushings for slim grips. https://challisgrips.americommerce.com/
wfm likes this.
Global Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote