Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Other Firearms

Like Tree18Likes
  • 11 Post By RustyIron
  • 7 Post By JC45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2019, 09:56 PM   #1

Taking a youngin' out to sling lead and make noise

The nephew is in town for the holidays and asked if I could take him out shooting. It's not like I need much of an excuse to take the day off to go have some fun. So he, Mrs. Iron, and I loaded the truck with guns, ammo, snacks, and headed to the high desert for the day.

Nephew has some shotgun experience, and has fired a handgun, so he knew the basics. He's smart and he's an athlete, so I knew that getting him pointed in the right direction would be easy.

I brought out a diverse variety of guns, but what piqued his interest most was the M1 Garand. He learned to admire the M1 from watching Saving Private Ryan and from playing X-Box games. Mine's been in the safe for probably 10 years. For me, it was really a surprise to rediscover how much fun the rifle is. The Nephew really liked it.

Among those guns brought out by Mrs. Iron, was her Ruger Security-Six. I probably ran 50+ rounds through it, and really enjoyed it. Hers is a 4". Next time we go out, I'll bring my 2.75" Speed Six, and we can be relatively evenly matched on the dueling tree.

Overall, it was a GREAT day. The high temp was a frigid 47 degrees, and it was overcast all day. But when you're having fun, those little things don't matter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4901.jpg (2.32 MB, 10 views)
Chuck43, bigdog10, 2sharp2 and 8 others like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-18-2019, 11:45 PM   #2

I need to get my nephew back out to the range. We always have fun when we go.
Btw, 47 degrees is T-shirt weather around here.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:40 PM   #3

As a leftie, I see that your nephew did not mind the hot, ejected casings from hitting him in the forehead, or the bridge of his nose. When I carried an M-1 Garand, I got used to the casings striking me, so I did not mind it after the first few rounds. It's great that he had loads of fun!