Anyone Here Own a Springfield EMP? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Other Firearms

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2020, 10:06 PM   #1
EKG

Anyone Here Own a Springfield EMP?

I've been considering buying a 9mm Ultra Carry - came close a couple of times. I've found a deal on an EMP in 40 S&W putting it within a few dollars of the Ultra Carry II. I have a 45 caliber Stainless Pro TLE/RL and Ultra Carry II - both are tack drivers and the reason I was considering another Kimber in 9mm.

Then along comes this bi-tone EMP. It's a looker and has night sights, which if added to the Ultra Carry II would make it over $100 more. I also prefer the 40 S&W round over the 9mm. The only thing holding me back is my stellar experiences with both Kimbers - I hate to deviate from something that works so well for me.

Reviews look pretty good for the EMP but I'd rather get some feedback from those here that may have owned one and an Ultra for comparison's sake. Any info would be appreciated! KG
Jflytle likes this.
Springfield EMP 3 Bi-Tone, 40 S&W, Black CTC Grips
Colt Nickel Government 380, Integrated LaserMax

Last edited by EKG; 02-14-2020 at 10:08 PM.
EKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-15-2020, 06:31 AM   #2

The Springer EMP is a good running gun. We have 1 or 2 in the family and no one has had any problems. Of course you can't go wring with any of the Kimber 1911 frames either.
EKG likes this.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:38 AM   #3

I shot my brother’s EMP 9 and it was very nice. If I’m not mistaken only Springfield mags work with the EMP. Standard 1911 mags don’t fit. Just something to look into if it matters to you.
EKG likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2020, 09:22 AM   #4

Another thing to consider with the EMP is that it was completely redesigned by Springfield, all parts on this gun are unique to this platform only, NO 1911 parts will fit, that includes holsters, as it was designed around the 9mm cartridge to be that much smaller in all regards.

It may be a neat idea, but it sits alone in the auto pistol world with almost zero aftermarket parts or accessories available for it compared to the world of 1911 goodies available for the original platform. Just sayin'......

I too had considered an EMP when they came out. But after gathering all the facts, to date, only "real" 1911's reside on me and in my safe.
Cucamonga kid, EKG and Bigdog like this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:53 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to krunchnik
I have the EMP-4-40 and am waiting for an EMP-3-40 to transfer from PSA.
They both use standard 1911 holsters it is just the magazines and some parts that are not standard.
The other fact is that the EMP in .40S&W is a carbon steel frame making them a bit more heavy than the Kimber Ultra models.

This one pic is the EMP wearing a set of grips off my Kimber Pro Aegis
Jflytle, cousinmark and EKG like this.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:30 PM   #6

I have the all black 9mm emp. Very accurate and feels good in the hand. The only problem I had was light strikes with all ammo. They come with titanium firing pins. I didnt feel like sending it in so I called and asked about buying the steel firing pin. They sent me a steel firing pin and heavier main spring. Problem solved.The reason customer service said for the titanium firing pin was to pass calif. drop test. I also installed heinie straight eight night sights.Its my fall and winter carry gun in a kusiak aitw holster.
EKG likes this.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:01 PM   #7
EKG

Thanks for all the feedback! I truly appreciate it.

Well,,,,, I was about to make the order and did my typical before purchase research. Not what I expected as I thought the seller, Palmetto State Armory, was a staple provider in the AR world.

116 BBB complaints - some resolved some just answered. Other forums have mixed feedback - most seem to think that you eventually get the product, but I'm going to have to pass.

Dang it son, even knowing all the bad it was still tempting at $700.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:46 PM   #8
Super Moderator

I bought a Sig P938 SAS from PSA a number of years back. They beat the next best price by $75.00 but I had to wait almost a month for them to ship it. If the price is good, you want it and your willing to wait I'd say go for it.
2sharp2, EKG and motormac like this.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:14 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to krunchnik
I ordered my EMP 3-40 last Saturday and am presently sitting here typing this with the EMP on my hip.I have never had a issue with PSA and I have ordered from them a few times.
No clue as to who is poo pooing them but is not what I have experienced.

Fact is I have 2 new-Kimber Ultra Carry II in .9mm and the EMP in .40 S&W
EKG likes this.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:51 PM   #10
EKG

I dug a little deeper through the BBB complaints and the feedback from yelp and resellerratings.com. The BBB rating is actually an A+. Apparently the BBB filters those that they feel are questionable and possibly unwarranted. It seems there were a lot of complaints on the shipping times and the card charged before the item ships. In their terms and conditions it says that the card is charged upon order and some products could take up to 15 days to ship. That's not particularly "standard" practice these days, but there were a lot that had to have checked the box that they agree to it before the order was placed.

A lot of issues was with the processing and shipping times. Others were that they put a stop on the credit card and PSA charged them a restocking fee. The terms clearly state that once an order is placed any customer cancellation will result in a restocking fee.

Plus most of the feedback from varying forums seemed to confirm that the Customer Service was terrible and you better hope you didn't need to use it,,, but if you make the order and things went smoothly you would eventually get the product. Some said like krunchnik they got theirs in a reasonable time and other like Chuck said it took a while, but most didn't have an issue unless they wanted to change something with the order or became impatient.

So,,, with gratitude to all and special thanks to Chuck and krunchnik for their feedback on PSA, I'm now patiently awaiting an EMP 3" - 40!!
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and motormac like this.
Springfield EMP 3 Bi-Tone, 40 S&W, Black CTC Grips
Colt Nickel Government 380, Integrated LaserMax