• 1 Post By JC45
  • 2 Post By JC45
  • 1 Post By cousinmark
  • 1 Post By JC45
  • 1 Post By cousinmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2020, 04:10 AM   #1

Sig P226 Elite Dark / Dawson Precision Sights

When I purchased the P226 Elite Dark it came with Sig adjustable combat night sights. I never really cared for these sights and wanted to replace them. After doing some research I found out that no other Sig sight would fit this dovetail. In fact, at the time nobody made replacement sights for this particular model. The dovetail was apparently a deeper cut than a standard Sig sight.

Last week I was looking for some Novak sights on the Dawson Precision website and as I was looking around on their site I found sights specially for the Elite Dark. I really wanted a set of night sights but the ones they listed were fiber optic. I gave it some thought and seeing that I don’t carry this gun fiber optics maybe better for a gun I basically use to target shoot. I placed the order and they arrive a few days later.

Yesterday morning I installed these DP Charger Fixed FO Sights. I will say that red fiber optic front sight just grabs your eyes. I never had sights with green rear and front red fiber optics. I haven’t used them yet but I’m liking what I’m seeing so far. The sight height is different from the factory sights but I’m thinking if Dawson is recommending this sight height, it should be good. If not they can make me a front sight that works for me. If I decide to go with night sights later on I will know the correct height I need. Dawson will also custom make nights sights for a very reasonable price.

Here’s a few pictures. The top right picture is the original sights.
cousinmark and 427malibu like this.

Last edited by JC45; 02-23-2020 at 05:09 AM.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-23-2020, 04:58 AM   #2

I found Dawson Precision through CGW when looking at options for my PCR. That pistol also has a unique dove tail so there aren't a ton of options out there. The folks at Cajun highly recommended the Dawson Precision option and I couldn't be happier, low profile nights with a larger front dot. The quality seems to be right up there.
Will be looking forward to the range report on the newly accessorized SIG :-)
JC45 likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:05 AM   #3

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
I found Dawson Precision through CGW when looking at options for my PCR. That pistol also has a unique dove tail so there aren't a ton of options out there. The folks at Cajun highly recommended the Dawson Precision option and I couldn't be happier, low profile nights with a larger front dot. The quality seems to be right up there.
Will be looking forward to the range report on the newly accessorized SIG :-)
I have a set of Dawson night sights on my CZ75bd and they really are excellent sights. Hopefully, I get to the range soon and Iíll let you know how they work.

Old 02-23-2020, 05:58 AM   #4

I went through the same thing with my sprinfield emp. They are different than all the rest of the springfields. I wanted night sights and springfield would not sell them but would install them if I sent the slide in. I called heine sight company and they set me up with straight 8 night sights. Fit was perfect and all you do is line one dot on top of the other to form a 8. Check them out when you get a chance.
JC45 likes this.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:14 AM   #5

Originally Posted by 427malibu View Post
I went through the same thing with my sprinfield emp. They are different than all the rest of the springfields. I wanted night sights and springfield would not sell them but would install them if I sent the slide in. I called heine sight company and they set me up with straight 8 night sights. Fit was perfect and all you do is line one dot on top of the other to form a 8. Check them out when you get a chance.
I guess unique sights are more common that I thought.
427malibu likes this.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:55 AM   #6

I just packed my range bag and going shooting. The range opens at 10:00. This trip is long overdue. My wife had knee replacement surgery followed by shoulder surgery so getting out hasn’t been easy. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:59 AM   #7

I had a great day at the range. I bought my P226 9, DW Vigil 9, SS Raptor 45 and Eclipse Pro II 45.
I started with the Sig to check the new sights. The sights were on the money. The sight picture from the fiber optics were excellent. The Dawson sights take a little work to fit they are an excellent set of sight.
cousinmark and 427malibu like this.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:13 PM   #8

Hey that's good to hear. I was thinking you'd be happy with them.
I have to ask though, your CZ75BD vs the SIG 226? How about an objective comparison of the two iconic pistols? I believe the SIG is SA-DA as well and would be curious as to how the two stack up in the real world?
JC45 likes this.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:47 AM   #9

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
Hey that's good to hear. I was thinking you'd be happy with them.
I have to ask though, your CZ75BD vs the SIG 226? How about an objective comparison of the two iconic pistols? I believe the SIG is SA-DA as well and would be curious as to how the two stack up in the real world?
Mark, the trigger on the Sig is a short reset trigger and you know the CZ75 isnít a short reset. Itís a pretty long pull on the CZ but itís smooth. The Sig reset is very nice and I like a short reset. The Sig wins for the better trigger. If I had to choose one I would choose the CZ because itís $300+ cheaper and if you installed a Cajun Gun Works trigger kit which moves the trigger 5mm closer and gives you a short reset, you have a better gun for the same price. I think if you send the gun to Cajun they will make it a competition or duty gun for about $400. As far a stock accuracy they are both very good. Even know the Sig has a better factory trigger you can still shoot the CZ just as good. Both have been 100% reliable. If I was comparing a non Elite Sig to the CZ, the CZ would win hands down.

My conclusion is that itís hard to beat a CZ for an all steel gun thatís accurate and reliable for under $600.
cousinmark likes this.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:27 AM   #10

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
Mark, the trigger on the Sig is a short reset trigger and you know the CZ75 isnít a short reset. Itís a pretty long pull on the CZ but itís smooth. The Sig reset is very nice and I like a short reset. The Sig wins for the better trigger. If I had to choose one I would choose the CZ because itís $300+ cheaper and if you installed a Cajun Gun Works trigger kit which moves the trigger 5mm closer and gives you a short reset, you have a better gun for the same price. I think if you send the gun to Cajun they will make it a competition or duty gun for about $400. As far a stock accuracy they are both very good. Even know the Sig has a better factory trigger you can still shoot the CZ just as good. Both have been 100% reliable. If I was comparing a non Elite Sig to the CZ, the CZ would win hands down.

My conclusion is that itís hard to beat a CZ for an all steel gun thatís accurate and reliable for under $600.
Thanks JC45 they're both fine pistols. I've only fired a few rounds through a bigger SIG legion and that was a few years back so comparing it to my 75D compact isn't something I can do. For what ever reason I find the feel of the CZ grip "Golgilocks"...
On CGW's PRO kit, I'm impressed to say the least. I had the guys in LA install it and the Dawson sights at the same time. I'm not a gunsmith so I figured it'd be best to let the experts handle the chore. She came back without a scratch and EXCEEDED my expectations at the range. The trigger work was exceptional.
JC45 likes this.