• 1 Post By cousinmark
  • 3 Post By 2sharp2
  • 1 Post By Tejun
  • 1 Post By Tejun
  • 3 Post By cousinmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2020, 10:29 AM   #1

Customer Service Experience With Another Brand

We always hear stories of customer service experiences, one of which sticks in my mind about a former member that admitted to doing some polishing while discussing with a Kimber CSR. Most of what gets communicated is negative it seems. Thought I would share a recent experience I had with a Henry rimfire rifle I purchased.

Back in 2018 right after Black Friday I was at my range and they had a Henry H003T 22 LR Pump marked down to $300. Retail on those is between $450 - $480-ish. I scooped it up right quick. Took it out to range and experienced a failure to feed on first round. Cleared that and it fired ok after that. Only shot a few rounds and put back in safe. One of the things I disliked about it was the stiffness of the pump action. Well, it got tucked in the back of my safe and with other firearms being purchased, it basically got forgotten. Took it out last year in October and had same FTF on first round. Took it back home and placed it in safe. After getting caught up on some other projects I thought I would take it down and do some polishing to see if I could loosen up the action some. Well.... upon disassembly, I found that two of the three pins that secure the barrel to the receiver were not installed correctly and a lot of metal shavings in the receiver. Holy [email protected] !! the receiver area where the pins protrude looked to have some peen marks too. The gun looked to have never been disassembled but I called the LGS to see if the gun was new or used and they said as far as they knew it was nib but they had had it for quite some time.

So I did some research and found that Henry has a great warranty. Submitted a warranty request with a long narrative going in to great detail (including pics). Got the UPS label and shipped it off back in late January. Took a little over a month, but got it back and when I read the repair notes, all they did was polish the chamber and change out the breech bolt assembly (sounded a lot like what Kimber does a lot). No mention at all about inspecting the barrel to receiver fit. Took it down and sure enough, the pins were just as they were when I sent it in. Took some more detailed pics and sent to their Customer Service email, then followed up with a call. Spoke with a nice young lady and told her the whole story. She didn't even have to look at the email/pics, she said they would replace the rifle. Sent me a label to send the old rifle back and said they would be shipping out a new one asap. Later that day I got a call from another CSR who had looked at the email and pics. She showed them to the tech that worked on the rifle and he said he hadn't noticed that. She also checked and found the rifle was manufactured in 2014 so that was about 4 yrs before I purchased it. She also said she was having the new rifle thoroughly checked to be sure it functioned correctly before sending it to me.

Hopefully this will be the end of the story on that ordeal
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-13-2020, 12:02 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to krunchnik
I have 3 Henry's myself and have never had to use their Customer Service-but I have heard that it is first rate.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:53 AM   #3

Good to hear they're making things right. I know there have been production issues as Henry has grown. Mostly several years back. In the several instances I've heard of a lemon getting through Henry has replaced the rifle. I was admiring a Henry lever .22 they have for sale at my range. I was impressed with the fit and finish and more so the action, smooooooooooooth.
Look forward to the review when your new plinker gets to you :-)
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2020, 02:19 PM   #4

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
Good to hear they're making things right. I know there have been production issues as Henry has grown. Mostly several years back. In the several instances I've heard of a lemon getting through Henry has replaced the rifle. I was admiring a Henry lever .22 they have for sale at my range. I was impressed with the fit and finish and more so the action, smooooooooooooth.
Look forward to the review when your new plinker gets to you :-)
Iíve got a Henry Lever Action in .17 HMR and the action is super smooth. Iíve got the pump action in 22 and 22 WMR and the action is pretty stiff and from what Iíve been able to find, will not smooth up much. Recently purchased a set of early model Rossi pumps in 22 and 22 WMR and they are super smooth to cycle. The Rossiís are a clone of the old Winchester 62. I finally found a Winchester 62 a few weeks ago that didnít cost an arm & leg. Iíll have to post some pics
2sharp2 and cousinmark like this.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Old 03-15-2020, 05:55 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Tejun View Post
Iíve got a Henry Lever Action in .17 HMR and the action is super smooth. Iíve got the pump action in 22 and 22 WMR and the action is pretty stiff and from what Iíve been able to find, will not smooth up much. Recently purchased a set of early model Rossi pumps in 22 and 22 WMR and they are super smooth to cycle. The Rossiís are a clone of the old Winchester 62. I finally found a Winchester 62 a few weeks ago that didnít cost an arm & leg. Iíll have to post some pics
Congratulations on finding that Winchester, I think any of the older USA production guns are actually sure to be good investments. They won't get easier to find that's for sure. Out of curiosity do you know if the Henry is a copy of Marlin's old pump rifles? I think Marlin's were different but a Marlin pump may also be a copy of the Winchester???
Tejun likes this.
Old 03-15-2020, 06:07 PM   #6

Tejun, if you run across a "older" (pre-safety) Winchester in .44mag, that's not an arm and a leg, give a buddy a shout-out please.

For the OP, I've not used Henry customer service. I did purchase 2 different Henry Tribute rifles in .22lr for two step sons in 2018. One was a Policeman and the other a EMT model. I did unbox them for inspection, both had smooth action, fit and finish was very, very good, much better than I expected.
Always good to hear when a company does it correctly.
Tejun, Rick in Oregon and motormac like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:58 PM   #7

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Tejun, if you run across a "older" (pre-safety) Winchester in .44mag, that's not an arm and a leg, give a buddy a shout-out please.

For the OP, I've not used Henry customer service. I did purchase 2 different Henry Tribute rifles in .22lr for two step sons in 2018. One was a Policeman and the other a EMT model. I did unbox them for inspection, both had smooth action, fit and finish was very, very good, much better than I expected.
Always good to hear when a company does it correctly.
I will definitely keep an eye out for one. There is a gun show here in Houston twice a year ( Houston Gun Collectors Association). That generally has some good finds. Unfortunately it got cancelled this weekend due to all the Covid [email protected]
2sharp2 likes this.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Old 03-15-2020, 08:14 PM   #8

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
Congratulations on finding that Winchester, I think any of the older USA production guns are actually sure to be good investments. They won't get easier to find that's for sure. Out of curiosity do you know if the Henry is a copy of Marlin's old pump rifles? I think Marlin's were different but a Marlin pump may also be a copy of the Winchester???
Howdy CousinMark !! I donít think the Henry & Marlin 20 are similar but Iíve not done a lot of research to substantiate that. The Marlin 20 is another one in my search list.
cousinmark likes this.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Old 03-16-2020, 06:19 AM   #9

Howdy CousinMark !! I donít think the Henry & Marlin 20 are similar but Iíve not done a lot of research to substantiate that. The Marlin 20 is another one in my search list.
Way back when an older friend of the family passed abruptly. You couldn't say he was a hoarder because they didn't call it that back then. He saved everything though, if there was a bit of material left from a project he saved it. His widow was somewhat overwhelmed so I offered to help her get things cleared out.
One of the things he had "saved" was an old Marlin pump rifle in 32-20 I don't remember the model. He had put it in a closet years prior and never touched it again. I gave it a wipe down and cleaning. The design incorporated a knurled finger screw for take down, similar to my 39A. I recall being impressed by the fact that there were only a few parts inside. After making a few calls (no internet back then) I found the rifle was RARE and manufactured in the early 1900s. Had it not been reblued by a hobby level smith it would have been worth a bunch. I don't know what ever became of that old Marlin???
Chuck43, Tejun and motormac like this.