Kimber Talk Forums banner

Buying An AR15

3K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  ChattanoogaPhil 
#1 ·
Hey Chuck, what's your status? Did you decide to come to the dark side and purchase a AR rifle or maybe build your own?

Just wondering.

#2 · (Edited)
Anyone contemplating the purchase of an AR might well do it now. I see that the platform being built by Biden & Co. plan to introduce radical "gun reform" that includes a complete ban of the MSR should these fools actually win the election. There's much more we should be afraid of in their plan related to firearms, like a license to own what you already have!

Everyone here most likely is conservative anyway, but the last thing we need is the libtards in charge any time soon.

This may be the most important election in our recent history.

#5 · (Edited)
Everyone here most likely is conservative anyway, but the last thing we need is the libtards in charge any time soon.

This may be the most important election in our recent history.
Thank the good Lord you don't live in VA. I live in SW VA and I'd be glad to become a WVA.

Chuck43, can you give specifics or is that a PM? My son has a S&M AR.

#6 ·
That's good to hear Chuck. I didn't know you was that far along in the process. Just a matter of time now...I thought I just needed 1, hmmm I have 3 now. Which for lots of people is nothing but it's a lot for me.

Reactions: ChattanoogaPhil
#16 ·
I put a 300 black out upper on my bushmaster a couple years ago. I think I got it from joe bobs. Works great, I just used the same bolt carrier and charging handle, got a dedicated mag and put 300 blk out on it and I was good to go.
A few years ago I picked up a lightly used .300 AAC Blackout upper with a nice stainless Odin Works barrel. For practice I switched it out with my 5.56 DDM4 V11, but I had so much fun shooting the .300BLK suppressed that the 5.56 got lonely. So, I decided the .300 needed it's own lower.

Palmetto State Armory had a sale on the MOE lower with enhanced trigger so now I have two complete rifles. I wanted to keep them functionally the same and recently upgraded both to the Leupold VXR Patrol 1-4x 20 with the FireDot illuminated reticle. With a good weapon light, the FireDot allows accurate targeting at night, for me at 50-100 yards and more. I recently added the Surefire Scout M600DF, 1500 lumen light to replace the Surefire Fury. Still working with these but it's amazing what they can do in the forest at night.

For me and for most folks, building an AR is a gradual process to get what you want based on your intended use. There are infinite combinations of features available (like Barbie dolls for boys).

I've been shooting, practicing with both rifles lately. They're remarkably accurate. Shooting the .300 BLK suppressed with subsonic rounds is a whole lot of fun. Not silent but hearing safe, and you can actually hear the bolt cycle with each shot. I'm going to start reloading .300 BLK very soon.

BTW, since magazines are interchangeable/usable for both cartridges it's very important to keep and mark them separately. All my 5.56 mags are Magpul, the .300 are Lancers. The Lancers are painted and labeled, and they tactically different with sharp raised dots so I can feel and distinguish them from Magpuls in the dark.

The .300 in the photo above has a Leupold Mark AR FireDot and ADM QD mount. Great scope/mount but it's for sale now. It now wears an almost identical VXR Patrol in a LaRue mount.

Attachments

#14 ·
I guess the thrill of the "black rifle" has passed me by. In the olden days, I built everything from a CAR to an HBAR. Good thing I'm a reloader because I fired those rifles like a .22 beginner's gun. A friend from church lived near a gravel pit, and we had hundreds of rocks to use as targets.

Now, here comes the big laughs. In those more innocent times we bought ARs and loaded ammunition in the thousands because the "day of reckoning" so popular in gun magazines of that era was foretold. We were to run to the wilderness, fighting every marauder on the planet.

When the "end" didn't come, I sold those rifles to a new a crop of kids, and of course, told them the end was coming...

#17 ·
The DDM4's are nice looking rifles, always kind of wanted one just haven't talked myself into coughing up the $$$.

#19 ·
Just an update, thanks to RustyIron I've added a Geissele Airborne Ambidextrous Charging Handle to the parts collection and a couple of other parts. My parts list now looks like this...

1- Aero Precision M4E1 stripped lower receiver
1- M4E1 Lower Parts Kit Minus FCG
1- A RISE Armament RA-140 trigger

2- Aero Precision M4E1 stripped upper receivers
2- Aero Precision 15" Enhanced M-Lock hand guards
1- ODIN Works .223 Wylde 16.1" Mid Length Barrel
1- Mid length gas tube
1- ODIN Works tunable low profile gas block
1- Geissele Airborne Ambidextrous Charging Handle
1- Vltor IMOD 5 position stock combo kit
1- Armaspec SFT 45/90 ambi safety selector
1- Strike Industries Ambi Magazine Release

Getting real close to having everything, I think I just need a BCG.

Some may ask why 2 upper receivers and hand guards, because I got them at great prices and if I like the rifle I may build a 2nd upper in another caliber. :p

#23 ·
Talking with a friend of mine yesterday, he asked how my AR build was going and I said that I was still looking for a BCG and muzzle brake. He came by this morning with a Radian Enhanced BCG and a slightly used muzzle brake. He wanted $50.00 for them, I now should have everything to put this thing together. :D

I shared some other news with him that I'll post on the forum when everything is solid. Looking over my parts collection he said in that case he may have some other parts that I may be interested in but wouldn't say anymore. :confused:

#22 ·
Well, call me a heretic, but I owned a few CARs and civilian models of the M-16, but I wound up being disappointed and I sold them all. I still have a stainless laminate .22LR which out-shoots any of the civilian automatic rifles of that day.

I think the big deal of a civilian automatic rifle is bragging to your friends you have an "assault rifle."

#28 ·
stock up on the lowers and 30 rnd mags. then take your sweet time to build, without need of FFL, the rest. My family's beauties all have components from Rock River Arms. No I am not (never have been) a dealer. But all Rock River stuff is top grade. Not to brag, but I built two that my son and grandson regularly take out bottle caps at 300 yds.

#37 ·
No need to join a hosting site. The pics I post here are directly from my computer. Just take a pic and post.

ps All your pics are still on PB. I never paid them a dime. Log in, expand the pics that you want and copy them. I just plucked this one from my PB account to see if anything had changed. All the same.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.