• 1 Post By CDR_Glock
  • 2 Post By Rick in Oregon
  • 3 Post By Rick in Oregon
  • 1 Post By Holster
  • 1 Post By If1Hitu

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2020, 06:33 PM   #1

.22LR Revolvers

So I don't own a .22 revolver and have been wanting to add one to the collection for some cheap range fun. Been eyeing either a Ruger Single Ten or Ruger GP100. I've also never really messed around with a SA revolver. Anybody have any experience with either of those or thoughts on .22 revolvers in general. Reason I've narrowed it down to those two are because I want a 10 shot and they both have fiber optic sights, which is my sight preference.
46QJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-12-2020, 07:16 PM   #2

Both of those are great choices in 22.
If you want a cheap good shooter in the single action style the Heritage Rough Rider is a good Gun for the money. My grandkids have put thousands of rounds through mine. And at $149 itís a good buy. I payed $179 with the extra 22 mag cylinder. Only 6 rounds but still a lot of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
46QJI likes this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:20 PM   #3

Originally Posted by 46QJI View Post
So I don't own a .22 revolver and have been wanting to add one to the collection for some cheap range fun. Been eyeing either a Ruger Single Ten or Ruger GP100. I've also never really messed around with a SA revolver. Anybody have any experience with either of those or thoughts on .22 revolvers in general. Reason I've narrowed it down to those two are because I want a 10 shot and they both have fiber optic sights, which is my sight preference.

Sorry, don't have a Single Ten or GP100. I'm sure either would be fine, not sure which I would like best.
I do have the gold standard (IMO) of .22lr revolvers, might not be for you since it is a 6-shot. S&W K22, have two one pretty old one from the 70's. Also have a M617 no lock, a M317 no lock. I've shot all kinds of pests and small game with the K22, maybe sometimes called Model 17.
I guess I don't have pics of the K22's at least not found them yet.
I know Rick has a 617 he shoots a good bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M617-1 Ahrends Retro Smooth Goncalo Alves.jpg (4.49 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Model 317.jpg (4.78 MB, 6 views)
46QJI, Wingnut and medezyner like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2020, 07:31 PM   #4

I was also looking at the 617, which I've read nothing but good reviews on, but already own a couple Smith's. 686 Talo and 629 Classic. I wouldn't mind the 617 at all, but figured I might as well expand my revolver horizons a little.
46QJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:50 PM   #5

If it was my decision, I'd go with the GP100. For me, it would be more fun to shoot, and also better at helping practice trigger control.

The single action goes:
Click. Bang.
Click. Bang.
Click. Bang.

With the double action, you can make it go:
BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANG

Since the .22 has minimal recoil, it's all about trigger control.
46QJI likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:51 PM   #6

I have a Taurus 992 Tracker 22 WMR/Magnum,22 LR. It has an interchangeable barrel.

Super fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
46QJI likes this.
CDR_Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:12 AM   #7

Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
I have a Taurus 992 Tracker 22 WMR/Magnum,22 LR. It has an interchangeable barrel.
Aahh, don't think so. I'm betting it has an interchangeable cylinder, and probably not the barrel. But I've been wrong before........

One of my Smith revolvers is a sweet little .22 WMR J-frame M651....4" bbl, stainless steel, adjustable sights, and the bonus....an interchangeable cylinder for 22LR, fitted and timed at the factory. It's the revolver in the center of the case with the 22LR cylinder resting next to it.

But you're right....definitely fun guns.
Chuck43 and 46QJI like this.

Last edited by Rick in Oregon; 04-13-2020 at 09:16 AM.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:28 AM   #8

Originally Posted by 46QJI View Post
So I don't own a .22 revolver and have been wanting to add one to the collection for some cheap range fun.
46Q, the revolver you want can be had as has been mentioned with a S&W M617. Stainless steel, full lug barrel, available in 4" or 6", 10-shot cylinder, adjustable sights (fiber optic avail) and the lifetime S&W warranty. One other attribute to consider, is that these are made in the USA with American materials by American craftsmen, and not an offshore company.

I've had mine since around 1995, and it has been a constant field and trail companion, harvesting over 200 grass rats and a few badgers and other vermin. Mine thrives on either CCI Mini-Mag HP's or WW Power Point HP's. Very accurate, very reliable.

Mine holstered in a OWB rig during one of our rat shoots here. The 4" version is mighty handy in the field:

And good for 50 yard shots on our buddy Skippy the Flying Squirrel (alfalfa eating machine):

My mantra is buy once, cry once. These are very high quality revolvers, but considering the overall build quality and materials, they are reasonably priced when compared to foreign imports, and you get an American made gun. Pick up one in your LGS and get the feel and 'heft'.....your decision will then be an easy one, and one you'll likely never regret.
2sharp2, 46QJI and Wingnut like this.

Last edited by Rick in Oregon; 04-13-2020 at 10:28 AM.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:00 PM   #9

I have a Single Ten in stainless and absolutely love it. It is a very accurate gun. The Single Six is great as well. I can shoot 2 inch groups standing with no rest at 50 feet with my old eyes. I'm good with that. With a rest, it is easy to do 1 inch groups. I really enjoy shooting it. I probably shoot it more than any gun I own.

If you want a fun little .22LR, the Bearcat is another option. My wife has one, and I have always enjoyed shooting them. I will be getting one for myself one of these days.

The Single Ten has been great for me. I like it over the Single Six because of the added rounds. There is no option for the .22 mag cylinder though, which for me doesn't matter. The Single Six gives you that option.
46QJI likes this.
Holster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:30 PM   #10

Just for some cheap fun shooting,try one of these.Wrangler or a Heritage R-R..22 revolvers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 72243307_2487633781315349_6263706886315442176_n.jpg (45.9 KB, 4 views)
46QJI likes this.

Yes I am a Democrat,that love his guns!
If1Hitu is offline   Reply With Quote