• 4 Post By Wingnut
  • 5 Post By RustyIron
  • 4 Post By Rick in Oregon
  • 4 Post By JC45
  • 3 Post By Rick in Oregon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2020, 03:08 PM   #1

High Country Rifle Fun During Covid

Maybe a little gun-related adventure will break up some Covid boredom here at KT, so here ya go:

What better way to isolate and social distance than getting out with a favorite varmint rifle in the high country with some healthy buddies. One of our rancher friends has a large cattle ranch and grows his own alfalfa for feed and for sale. The place is also infested with Beldings ground squirrels, aka "Skippy the flying Squirrel", which between him and his buddies eat/consume about $200,000 a year due to crop loss from the little munchers.

There's two ways to get rid of Skippy...poison ($$$), or allow precision shooters to teach them to fly, one rat at a time. So we take our BR Pivots (my old patent/product), hyper accurate .20 and .22 caliber CF rifles, and have our way with the little rascals out to around 600 yards. If the rifle won't shoot five shots into at least 1/2" @ 100 yds, it need not apply for this duty.

Here's a few pics from what I call "fun with rodents", or the most fun you can have with a rifle.

The crew set up in the morning on a hill crest:

An elevated position is always nice too:

As soon as the firing starts, we get bald eagles and ravens hanging out nearby in the rocks, ready for their noon feeding:

This particular spot has been an excellent perch now for many years. I can shoot rock chucks out to 600 here, and rats too if the wind is not an issue. Excellent spot to just sit and relax, smell the grass and enjoy the sunshine sometimes.

My old hound dog Lucy went with me one year. She liked to enjoy her afternoon chew while my rifle cooled and I ate lunch (she's in the truck, all tucked in during live-fire):

The trees behind us in this pic is where a bunch of eagles and ravens would sit and wait for lunch. Another great spot where we can shoot out to as far as you can hit:

And of course, to keep this 'Kimber-centric', a shot of my Ultra CDP with her .22LR conversion unit that I've posted before with Skippy. Once in the field, a .22LR pistol is always on my belt. One never knows when the little buggers will sneak inside the perimeter and wreck havoc!

In the evening when the squirrels are all down asleep, we set up our steel and get in some practice. A couple of full-size silhouettes, a dueling tree, and a few falling plates to keep it fun (don't make fun of the chubby guy):

Our colors fly at every event away from home:

Our little 'homeless camp' at the ranch (a great place to sit by the fire and watch the sun set each evening):

So once this ChiCom virus crap finally leaves us alone, we can all get back out and do what we all love to do......shoot! Hope you enjoyed a little escape out west. We now return to our regular programming.......
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Tejun and 8 others like this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-14-2020, 05:33 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Great post Rick, you know you've made a whole bunch of forum members jealous as all heck.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:34 PM   #3

I always enjoy the stories and pics of Skippy the flying squirrel.

Not sure if I have the "eye" for a 600 yard shot?

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2020, 03:02 AM   #4

I’m one of the jealous ones. Great pics Rick.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:29 AM   #5

Looks like a BLAST, Rick.

I can't do half an inch at a hundred yards, but I could give 'em a nervous tick.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, MrWicked and 2 others like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:17 AM   #6

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
I always enjoy the stories and pics of Skippy the flying squirrel.

Not sure if I have the "eye" for a 600 yard shot?
Thanks Arland, glad you enjoy the fun too. Teaching Skippy to actually fly is the real hoot here. As for having "the eye" for hits at that range, we cheat, simple as that.

I have a nice Sierra ballistics program, all set for the altitude and conditions we normally shoot at (4,800' elev.), with the actual velocity and BC for the load we're shooting. I then print the dope out and put it inside my Leupold flip-cap for "come-up" data.

So at the bench, range the rat, consult chart, hold off for wind if necessary, hold the reticle on hair and shoot. This gives a hit probability of about 80% at 600, and almost 95% at any range inside of 500. It's almost like cheating.....almost.

Skippy at the moment of lift-off after a hit with a 223 and a 40gr Ballistic Tip:

Skippy has been known to fly as high as 15' with a good solid hit inside of 300 yards. Now, that is flyin'!

As we say.....it's truly the most fun you can have with a rifle.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Wingnut and 1 others like this.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:54 AM   #7

Looks like fun to me, I’m jealous.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:41 AM   #8

Late Edit: Just thought I'd throw in a shot of a 'target-rich environment' to show an idea of 'target availability'. These are prairie dogs and not ground squirrels, but the end result is the same....flying rodents at extreme range.

Sometimes we're lucky enough to be able to use the ranch flatbed for a great elevated shooting position:

And to give flat-landers an idea of just how big a deal shooting sage rats is around these parts, here's a sign one sporting goods store puts up each year to lure shooters in....."yes", it's a big deal:

One last shot to show even old USFS fire trucks make good elevated shooting nests for Skippy:

Our rancher buddy does the maintenance on the trucks now assigned to Range Fire duty, so no biggie to make them a dual-purpose rig for rat shootin'.
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and motormac like this.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:48 AM   #9

And here I was, thinking this would be about some sort of special Chevrolet edition rifle to accent the interior of my Silverado. Well, I'd need the Z71 one, but. Anyway. Couldn't have been more wrong...
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote