Grip Safety Not Working - Springfield TRP - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Other Firearms

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #1

Grip Safety Not Working - Springfield TRP

Wondering if any of you have any thoughts on what went wrong here & how to fix it.

Cleaning guns today & Mr. Chickadee's Springfield TRP now has a problem - the trigger will release the hammer without depressing the grip safety.

The pistol was only field stripped today & was working normally prior to cleaning....

Mario Andretti
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-21-2015, 06:23 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Please define field strip, was just the slide removed?
Old 11-21-2015, 06:24 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Please define field strip, was just the slide removed?
Yes, just the slide removed.

Mario Andretti

Old 11-21-2015, 07:03 PM   #4
Banned

Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
Wondering if any of you have any thoughts on what went wrong here & how to fix it.

Cleaning guns today & Mr. Chickadee's Springfield TRP now has a problem - the trigger will release the hammer without depressing the grip safety.

The pistol was only field stripped today & was working normally prior to cleaning....
I once had this problem, and never did quite figure it out. In my case, more then a field strip, but I believe that I had the trigger/sear/safety spring not properly placed/positioned, which upset the safety mechanics of the pistol. Confusing, I know, but after several dismantles/reinstalls the problem fixed itself and never again reappeared.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
Super Moderator

OK, I've played this thorough my foggy mind a couple of times and it goes against everything I think I know. I'm at a loss for an answer that makes sense to me.

For the sake of my sanity I'd appreciate it if you or Mr. Chickadee would provide us with an answer to the problem.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:44 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
OK, I've played this thorough my foggy mind a couple of times and it goes against everything I think I know. I'm at a loss for an answer that makes sense to me.

For the sake of my sanity I'd appreciate it if you or Mr. Chickadee would provide us with an answer to the problem.
Don't have an answer yet - spent today working on my truck.

Mr. Chickadee has a 'Colt .45 Automatic' book he's been looking through to try to understand what could have happened. His only thought so far: he had a local gunsmith install an Ed Brown trigger several months ago. No fitment or adjustments were made - maybe something finally came out of alignment from a part that wasn't completely installed correctly??
Chuck43 likes this.

Mario Andretti
Old 11-22-2015, 07:04 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
Don't have an answer yet - spent today working on my truck.

Mr. Chickadee has a 'Colt .45 Automatic' book he's been looking through to try to understand what could have happened. His only thought so far: he had a local gunsmith install an Ed Brown trigger several months ago. No fitment or adjustments were made - maybe something finally came out of alignment from a part that wasn't completely installed correctly??
It may be time to revisit that gunsmith.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:37 AM   #8

Update

Mr. Chickadee completely disassembled the pistol & looked very closely at the interaction of the trigger & grip safety as well as the sear. He was not able to spot the problem.

Several months ago when he had the trigger replaced, he also had the sear, the dis-connector & the hammer replaced with Ed Brown parts. The work was done by a local gunsmith who was recommended but we had never used before. Mr. Chickadee watched him install the parts - no fitment was done. He did not even do much checking to make sure everything was OK.

On a whim, Mr. Chickadee reassembled the pistol with the original parts. The grip safety now works as designed again.....

The gun had been functioning fine since the upgrades with 1,000+ rounds through it. Mr. Chickadee is now questioning if his function checks after cleaning were not as thorough as he thought & the problem has actually been there all along but was just recently discovered. That's the only thing that seems to make sense at this point.

The Ed Brown parts do not appear to have any significant wear on them. The whole thing is still kind of a mystery. We'll be looking for a new local gunsmith, nonetheless, to see if we can get the pistol to function properly with the Ed Brown parts at some point in the future, or maybe just save those parts for a different project gun.
Marshall and montanaResident like this.

Mario Andretti
Old 12-12-2015, 11:22 AM   #9

Grip Safety Not Working - Springfield TRP

Possibly this? I had it slip couple times in the past.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wuOLVKb3KX8

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
montanaResident likes this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - USCAA - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:34 AM   #10
Banned

Originally Posted by bhunted View Post
Possibly this? I had it slip couple times in the past.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wuOLVKb3KX8

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure that was the problem I was having. When I now install the sear spring I make sure the pistol is upright, and the sear/disconnection are loose and hanging freely. Oddly, I've encountered this twice and both times it was with the Kimber.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote