Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Other Firearms

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By montanaResident
  • 2 Post By Tankgunner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2015, 07:17 AM   #1
Banned

Blowing up a rifle barrel

My hunting buddy blew up his rifle the other day. Was taking a shot at a Bull Elk, and kaboom.

He's a bit evasive about why it happened. I think he over loaded a reload, which is not easy to do since a lot of cartridges are 100% full of powder and still within spec. Also the rifle was chambered for the Remington Ultra Magnum 300. That's one very hot round. Almost equal to the 300 Weatherby Magnum. Weatherby Rifles are built like tanks compared to Remingtons and Winchesters, etc. Case of stuffing a quart in a pint jar.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-25-2015, 09:08 AM   #2

I am sure there is more to the story! Other than I am glad your friend is Ok I don't know what to say.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:29 AM   #3
Banned

Yeah, he says maybe something got in the barrel. I have to find out where the damage is. I bet it blew at or near the breech.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:45 AM   #4

Mud in the barrel will do it. Hope he's ok.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:10 AM   #5

Or he accentually used the wrong powder when hand loading his hunting rounds.

Whatever happened, hope he is not injured. The bright side(if there is one)he gets to buy a new hunting rifle.
Tankgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:34 AM   #6

Back in the '60s, my cousin bought a WWII-era 6.5mm Japanese rifle that had been sporterized. He used it for hunting deer. One day during hunting season, he showed up at our house with a wicked wound under his right eye. He had taken a shot at a deer and the rifle exploded, blowing the bolt back into his face. He almost lost his eye, and he could have lost his life. I think the ammunition was hand loaded by one of his buddies. Nobody in our small town bought any more sporterized WWII-era rifles after that.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:50 AM   #7
Banned

Originally Posted by Tankgunner View Post
Or he accentually used the wrong powder when hand loading his hunting rounds.

Whatever happened, hope he is not injured. The bright side(if there is one)he gets to buy a new hunting rifle.
That would account for the mishap. This guy is hard on his toys. He is often quoting muzzle fps that is way beyond a rifles/cartridges specs. I usually think he is just confused, but it would not surprise me if he was using a faster burning powder to pack it to be hotter. I rarely see him with the same rifle more then once, so buying a new rifle was going to happen no matter the situation with any particular rifle.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:54 AM   #8
Banned

Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Back in the '60s, my cousin bought a WWII-era 6.5mm Japanese rifle that had been sporterized. He used it for hunting deer. One day during hunting season, he showed up at our house with a wicked wound under his right eye. He had taken a shot at a deer and the rifle exploded, blowing the bolt back into his face. He almost lost his eye, and he could have lost his life. I think the ammunition was hand loaded by one of his buddies. Nobody in our small town bought any more sporterized WWII-era rifles after that.
I was once given a vintage WWII rifle. I lugged that thing around for years, and never did get the courage to actually fire it. I finally exchanged it with the sheriff's office in exchange for a $100 gift certificate. Los Angeles County use to have cash for guns regularly. It was a good way to get rid of an old piece.
Richard likes this.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:29 PM   #9

LA and many other cities in California still have gun buy backs, I believe they give cash cards now.
I have heard of people staking out the buy backs, and offering more money if it's something they want. This tends to really piss the city off.
Instead of the gun going to the metal masher, it is legally transferred to someone else. Sounds fine to us but to the liberals that run most California cities, it puts a well deserved wrench in their agenda.
Richard and montanaResident like this.
Tankgunner is offline   Reply With Quote