Matching guns and ammo - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Other Firearms

Like Tree71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2016, 11:52 AM   #1

Matching guns and ammo

I really appreciate that Sig SAUER now has their own line of ammo so that when I go to buy 9mm for my 938 I buy the Sig SAUER, it's supposed to work in that gun and it does; same with the 45 and the same with the 380. It would be good if Kimber did the same thing; if they would produce their own ammo or at least find a brand and contract with the manufacturer and put it in their own box labeled "Solo" ammo or "Micro" ammo. It might be more expensive than your average range ammo but it would be a lot cheaper for the consumer than experimenting with all different brands until you finally find one that works. Then if the Kimber ammo doesn't work in your specific gun you have a good reason to send it in and get it YONKERED.
Just saying 🙂
glokrok and RustyIron like this.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:32 PM   #2

I get what you are saying but...
Makers would better serve their customers by explaining that their product is made to run on an ammunition of particular power factor like that used in competitions. The various springs in the gun and the weight of slide or bolt dictate this need. That and the overall cartridge length, base to ogive measurement is what is needed.

If the makers and SAAMI ammunition makers put this information on each box, performance issues from unknowledgeable customers would nearly cease.

I have mentioned before that much of Kimbers issues with a pistol "preferring" one type of ammo over another is BS and other than extractor tuning is largely traced to their chambers having insufficient leade (easily corrected with a proper reamer).

Unless the gun is a specialty use gun (ie. Bulls eye competition etc) I want a general purpose defense gun to eat everything of the caliber I can find. There will be small accuracy differences, but reliability should not be an issue.

Kimber is not the only maker that has this issue.

Branding ammo with their logo that they more often than not do not make is a profit driven motivation more than anything else.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:34 PM   #3

I can only imagine the price that Kimber ammo would be if you compare it to what their guns cost..

FM works in every gun that I own so I believe I will just stick with theirs...

Got me thinking though. ..How much do you think the Hi Point ammo would cost ?
Chuck43, 2sharp2, roketdoc and 1 others like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #4

Originally Posted by jms-stlou View Post
..How much do you think the Hi Point ammo would cost ?
What ever it is, if it's High Point, I wouldn't want to pull the trigger, no pun intended.
Chuck43 likes this.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:39 PM   #5

Well I don't know, but I think I would rather spend two dollars/round on something that was guaranteed to work every single time in a given firearm than spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars experimenting with all the various brands of ammunition trying to find the one that the gun likes.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:43 PM   #6

I'm only throwing this out here because I have a micro Bel Air coming in for the wife. And I'm already hearing problems of ammo compatibility with this firearm. I really think that the manufacturer should do the testing instead of leaving it up to the customers.
Spotly likes this.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:56 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
I'm only throwing this out here because I have a micro Bel Air coming in for the wife. And I'm already hearing problems of ammo compatibility with this firearm. I really think that the manufacturer should do the testing instead of leaving it up to the customers.
You should really stop reading and believing everything that you read on the web and wait until you get it...

I know this guy that has nothing good to say about a certain firearm yet others have had zero issue...

Hmm...I can't place his name at the moment.....

P.S

Wouldn't be a bitch to get "yonkered" twice....???.....
Old 01-05-2016, 01:59 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
Well I don't know, but I think I would rather spend two dollars/round on something that was guaranteed to work every single time in a given firearm than spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars experimenting with all the various brands of ammunition trying to find the one that the gun likes.
I wish I could feel your pain, but all 4 of my Kimbers have run on anything since I bought them....

$2 a round ?? You have to be kidding right??
roketdoc likes this.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:05 PM   #9

Well, all right then. But remember getting Yonkered is a good thing. It's a custom shop tuneup.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:08 PM   #10

Originally Posted by jms-stlou View Post
I wish I could feel your pain, but all 4 of my Kimbers have run on anything since I bought them....

$2 a round ?? You have to be kidding right??
I'm referring to one specific micro pistol that I have experience with which shall remain nameless and because of my New Year's resolution.😉
Marshall, Trex and JC45 like this.