Gainesvilla GA gun show - Kimber Forum

Kimber


Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Other Firearms

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By Ice-and-Snow
  • 1 Post By Ice-and-Snow
  • 1 Post By Ice-and-Snow
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2016, 10:17 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Ice-and-Snow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North GA
Posts: 2,231
Gainesvilla GA gun show

So, my neighbor/friends who have finally come 'round to: yes, at LEAST they need a house gun, and Lisa also wants a carry gun. (Well, not till she learns a BOATload more! I did buy her a pepper spray when Kimber had buy two get one. She had had a class in using pepper spray, which I haven't!) I went to this show last year with another friend who wants a gun (still haven't gotten HIM the range to try them out either... but he's rehabbing his house, so no spare time).

Anyway. It's (in my eyes?) a small gun show in a big store in a small (old) shopping center. ($8 to get in; plastic tie in the gun, no loaded mags, no loose rounds... {sigh} At least THIS year, I remember to have the cop cut the tie before we walked a half-mile to the car!!)

It was fun for my friends -- they've never seem most guns... Gary keep pointing at "tarted-up" rifles and asking; is THAT a machine gun? ( "No, Gary, there will NOT be a machine gun here... $500 tax stamp and you can only buy one from some other owner cause you can't buy one new. That handsome fellah is just a (not-so-)plain old semi-automatic rifle."

They can't afford a Kimber (you have to be addicted before that ceases to matter -- lookit all of us!!); so I made a point to have Lisa try the Bersa Thunder (which I also wanted to try holding)(nice, light, sorta pretty, NOT a Kimber {sigh}) but, alas, she fell in love with the heavy ugly bric... er ... the Glock... ({wince} 'kay-fine, we'll be able to have you shoot one when we go to the range.)

We each got a TOTALLY EXCELLENT COOL fire starter: GeorgiaFireSteel.com -The Best Magnesium Firesteel Firestarter Products Hand Made in the USA. Survival Firestarters & Related Productss,Ferrocerium Rods, Firestarters, Matchless FireStarter,Magnesium Firestarter, Flint and Steel, Quality firestarters -- we also both got the blue one. Beautifully made, fantastic, and my friends are (finally!) learning about survival gear and prepping. REALLY liked this guy's stuff! (He uses an old machining bit as the striker, instead of a thin 'ruler-like' piece of steel? titanium? I forgot what he said) -- just a super bit of gear!! (Oh! And he included two little baggies of shaved magnesium as starters!)

And Lisa and I both got cool (PURPLE!!) stun guns! selfdefenseATL.com Lisa got this one:
https://selfdefenseatl.com/collectio...siren-stun-gun

and I got this one:
https://selfdefenseatl.com/collectio.../jolt-stun-gun
(The loud siren hurt my ears... I don't like loud noises.. Lisa will be carrying on campus, so she wants the noise.)

They have the charging-plug in the body (blades extend on a push-switch); a very bright LED flashlight at the first stop, and then the second stop 'arms' the stun. Separate button to make it crackle! It has the 'safety pin' -- you wear the wrist strap, and if the bad guy manages to wrest the stun gun away, the pin pulls out and disables the stun-part! Can't be used against you! (Very clever, I must say!)
(They have a red one too...)


Didn't see anything particularly weird and cool and wonderful... Saw a 50-whatever-it-is pistol --oh! and some nice guy gave us a good talk about the "short-barreled rifle/pistol" that was on display... And some booth owner said he was just delighted and impressed as I was 'larnin' Gary some stuff' about a couple different types of handguns... He said he just loved hearing me knowing all this stuff! Then I let him talk to Gary in more detail as I showed Lisa some more handguns at the next booth....

(Oh and we had brekkers on the way over to Gainesville, and I gave them a lecture on: always ask to pick one up, never ever ever put your finger on the trigger, always be aware of your muzzle direction, and stuff like that. Then, in the car, I unloaded my Micro and had Lisa look it over and play with it. I figured doing that IN the restaurant might not cause a heart attack, but it might... {shrug} There are idiots everywhere nowadays!)

So, a fun time was had by all (massively crowded! Their 12-yr-old doesn't like crowds, so she was glad she had NOT come!) As usual, lots of great nice folks. Oh, and Gary bought this Swiss 'tri-pack' of un-fancy old-style veg peelers -- the old guy doing the demo had a smooth patter, and the three peelers WERE quite amazing! The inventor's wife had arthritis, so he designed these so she could do everything (and MORE!) with them. Cool stuff -- if I every ate any veg, I'd've bought 'em too!

Our new neighbor (at whose superbowl party I spent some hours last night) is also wanting to get a gun, but first needs to learn about them, so my next "target" is already lined up! But, first i have to get Gary and Lisa to the range to rent a bunch and see what they like best. Or, depending on timing, I may get to teach the new neighbor enough to bring her along before we manage to get a range trip arranged!!

(And if I get all three to come in one trip, maybe Insta-Gator will want to come along and provide extra safety/training help? Whatcha think Gary? Prolly won't be for a month-plus!)

Almost bought some .38 special ammo (for my revolver; Gary likes the idea of a less-likely-to-jam house gun), but the prices seems higher than they needed to be, so I'll pick some up online. {shrug} I have a hundred or so rounds, and rarely ever take the revolver out, much less shoot it... still, if I'm going to the range, I'm takin' it too!

(Never too much ammo! That's MY rule! {sigh} )

Never enough guns either -- but it's always a toss-up: mortgage or new gun? hmmmmm.

El
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-08-2016, 11:30 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
swca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Spring Valley,Ca.
Posts: 4,175
That was a heck of a Gun Show report SnowTao! I enjoy going to the Crossroads Gun show that is held at the Del Mar Fairgrounds about 30 miles from me. I do not enjoy having to pay $11.00 entrance fee and another $9.00 for parking. I still go cannot resist having so much in the way of guns and gear in one place. I have actually come away with some good buy's on ammunition and reloading equipment and supplies. I bought my single action 44-40 there.
__________________
Tom

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:58 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Cucamonga kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Big Sky Country-The Last Best Place
Posts: 4,500
Originally Posted by SnowTao View Post
So, my neighbor/friends who have finally come 'round to: yes, at LEAST they need a house gun, and Lisa also wants a carry gun. (Well, not till she learns a BOATload more! I did buy her a pepper spray when Kimber had buy two get one. She had had a class in using pepper spray, which I haven't!) I went to this show last year with another friend who wants a gun (still haven't gotten HIM the range to try them out either... but he's rehabbing his house, so no spare time).

Anyway. It's (in my eyes?) a small gun show in a big store in a small (old) shopping center. ($8 to get in; plastic tie in the gun, no loaded mags, no loose rounds... {sigh} At least THIS year, I remember to have the cop cut the tie before we walked a half-mile to the car!!)

It was fun for my friends -- they've never seem most guns... Gary keep pointing at "tarted-up" rifles and asking; is THAT a machine gun? ( "No, Gary, there will NOT be a machine gun here... $500 tax stamp and you can only buy one from some other owner cause you can't buy one new. That handsome fellah is just a (not-so-)plain old semi-automatic rifle."

They can't afford a Kimber (you have to be addicted before that ceases to matter -- lookit all of us!!); so I made a point to have Lisa try the Bersa Thunder (which I also wanted to try holding)(nice, light, sorta pretty, NOT a Kimber {sigh}) but, alas, she fell in love with the heavy ugly bric... er ... the Glock... ({wince} 'kay-fine, we'll be able to have you shoot one when we go to the range.)

We each got a TOTALLY EXCELLENT COOL fire starter: GeorgiaFireSteel.com -The Best Magnesium Firesteel Firestarter Products Hand Made in the USA. Survival Firestarters & Related Productss,Ferrocerium Rods, Firestarters, Matchless FireStarter,Magnesium Firestarter, Flint and Steel, Quality firestarters -- we also both got the blue one. Beautifully made, fantastic, and my friends are (finally!) learning about survival gear and prepping. REALLY liked this guy's stuff! (He uses an old machining bit as the striker, instead of a thin 'ruler-like' piece of steel? titanium? I forgot what he said) -- just a super bit of gear!! (Oh! And he included two little baggies of shaved magnesium as starters!)

And Lisa and I both got cool (PURPLE!!) stun guns! selfdefenseATL.com Lisa got this one:
https://selfdefenseatl.com/collectio...siren-stun-gun

and I got this one:
https://selfdefenseatl.com/collectio.../jolt-stun-gun
(The loud siren hurt my ears... I don't like loud noises.. Lisa will be carrying on campus, so she wants the noise.)

They have the charging-plug in the body (blades extend on a push-switch); a very bright LED flashlight at the first stop, and then the second stop 'arms' the stun. Separate button to make it crackle! It has the 'safety pin' -- you wear the wrist strap, and if the bad guy manages to wrest the stun gun away, the pin pulls out and disables the stun-part! Can't be used against you! (Very clever, I must say!)
(They have a red one too...)


Didn't see anything particularly weird and cool and wonderful... Saw a 50-whatever-it-is pistol --oh! and some nice guy gave us a good talk about the "short-barreled rifle/pistol" that was on display... And some booth owner said he was just delighted and impressed as I was 'larnin' Gary some stuff' about a couple different types of handguns... He said he just loved hearing me knowing all this stuff! Then I let him talk to Gary in more detail as I showed Lisa some more handguns at the next booth....

(Oh and we had brekkers on the way over to Gainesville, and I gave them a lecture on: always ask to pick one up, never ever ever put your finger on the trigger, always be aware of your muzzle direction, and stuff like that. Then, in the car, I unloaded my Micro and had Lisa look it over and play with it. I figured doing that IN the restaurant might not cause a heart attack, but it might... {shrug} There are idiots everywhere nowadays!)

So, a fun time was had by all (massively crowded! Their 12-yr-old doesn't like crowds, so she was glad she had NOT come!) As usual, lots of great nice folks. Oh, and Gary bought this Swiss 'tri-pack' of un-fancy old-style veg peelers -- the old guy doing the demo had a smooth patter, and the three peelers WERE quite amazing! The inventor's wife had arthritis, so he designed these so she could do everything (and MORE!) with them. Cool stuff -- if I every ate any veg, I'd've bought 'em too!

Our new neighbor (at whose superbowl party I spent some hours last night) is also wanting to get a gun, but first needs to learn about them, so my next "target" is already lined up! But, first i have to get Gary and Lisa to the range to rent a bunch and see what they like best. Or, depending on timing, I may get to teach the new neighbor enough to bring her along before we manage to get a range trip arranged!!

(And if I get all three to come in one trip, maybe Insta-Gator will want to come along and provide extra safety/training help? Whatcha think Gary? Prolly won't be for a month-plus!)

Almost bought some .38 special ammo (for my revolver; Gary likes the idea of a less-likely-to-jam house gun), but the prices seems higher than they needed to be, so I'll pick some up online. {shrug} I have a hundred or so rounds, and rarely ever take the revolver out, much less shoot it... still, if I'm going to the range, I'm takin' it too!

(Never too much ammo! That's MY rule! {sigh} )

Never enough guns either -- but it's always a toss-up: mortgage or new gun? hmmmmm.

El
I'll have what she ordered but make mine a double!😳
__________________
Buy American - MAGA!
Cucamonga kid is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 02-08-2016, 03:03 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
2sharp2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 12,294
El, you going to teach Lisa your "tea cup" pistol grip? lol

Great detailed gun show report. The shows are not as good as they used to be. But I can see newbies enjoying them.
__________________
The Kimber Family

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:28 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Ice-and-Snow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North GA
Posts: 2,231
Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
El, you going to teach Lisa your "tea cup" pistol grip? lol

Great detailed gun show report. The shows are not as good as they used to be. But I can see newbies enjoying them.
sssppppbbbbssssttt! ({sigh} Yeah, prolly.... but I'll TRY not to!)

OH! Or if 'Gator comes along HE can show her!

(Or YOU could drive a gazillion miles down from TN.... )

Tee hee hee!


And, yeah, I was SO not thrilled about attending it, having already been once -- and then having read a LOT of sniping about a couple of (well-liked) dealers having been chucked out (er... "denied a booth") because their prices were too low (!!) and a lot of heart burn about the organizers, and so on... {shrug} But to introduce newbies? It's a good thing.

The Bersa Thunder at the dealer's booth I checked was $399 -- so I looked on (my phone at) Gun Broker and there were lots listed for $185, $190, $187, and so on... {shrug} I think I wouldn't buy at a gunshow, even if it were a dealer I knew and liked -- unless I had done a TON of research on a specific gun before hand!
2sharp2 likes this.
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:35 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
2sharp2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 12,294
Originally Posted by SnowTao View Post
sssppppbbbbssssttt! ({sigh} Yeah, prolly.... but I'll TRY not to!)

OH! Or if 'Gator comes along HE can show her!

(Or YOU could drive a gazillion miles down from TN.... )

Tee hee hee!


And, yeah, I was SO not thrilled about attending it, having already been once -- and then having read a LOT of sniping about a couple of (well-liked) dealers having been chucked out (er... "denied a booth") because their prices were too low (!!) and a lot of heart burn about the organizers, and so on... {shrug} But to introduce newbies? It's a good thing.

The Bersa Thunder at the dealer's booth I checked was $399 -- so I looked on (my phone at) Gun Broker and there were lots listed for $185, $190, $187, and so on... {shrug} I think I wouldn't buy at a gunshow, even if it were a dealer I knew and liked -- unless I had done a TON of research on a specific gun before hand!

Yes, it is for sure in your best interest to know in advance or know how to look up on your phone what the "real world" prices are and not pay the inflated gun show prices. A buyer should also know the MSRP of any weapon they are thinking about buying.

It is not that far down there. I would love to come down and shoot with you and Gary and your newbies, where and when?
__________________
The Kimber Family

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:48 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Ice-and-Snow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North GA
Posts: 2,231
Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
It is not that far down there. I would love to come down and shoot with you and Gary and your newbies, where and when?
Dunno yet -- she's in college, he works... rather NOT do it on a weekend (traffic, crowded range, all that stuff... ) but it just depends on when I can get them to commit!
2sharp2 likes this.
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Show Your Kimber overbybr Kimber Talk 66 04-27-2016 08:47 AM
Show us your flag. Zoomybaby Off-Topic Discussion Forum 32 08-28-2015 07:58 PM
beautiful show gun mattman Kimber Solo Forum 8 11-18-2014 11:35 AM
Gun show today Islander Off-Topic Discussion Forum 20 11-10-2014 08:33 AM
Show us your mug... Marshall Off-Topic Discussion Forum 41 08-07-2014 06:03 PM