safety wont disengage - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Other Firearms

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2016, 09:17 PM   #1

safety wont disengage

I have a watlther colt railgun .22 it was in a safe for about 3 months loaded . I took it out was going to unload it. i droped the mag then I tried to disengage thumb safety so i could rack the slide to eject the round. but the safety will not budge? with or with out the mag .
flyingDoberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-19-2016, 09:31 PM   #2

I pushed the plunger with my finger nail then thumb safety went down. but same prob every time i engage safety ?
Old 02-19-2016, 09:41 PM   #3

I would say some penetrating oil, small amount while it's moving, and work it back and forth gently quite a few times. Check it tomorrow and move it again gently back and forth quite a few times. What ever is inside is slowly gumming it up and it needs to be moved and lubricated breaking the free. Actually I use the Break Free product on my weapons and using them or not I try to get them out at least once a month and work the moving parts. On another subject I'm on my third Doberman since 1975. I'm assuming your an owner also?
flyingDoberman likes this.
Snake15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2016, 11:14 PM   #4

That's great advice, Snake. This is a good reminder to check our "business" guns periodically, even if they're just in a drawer or a holster.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #5

Good advice from snake. I have also seen plunger tubes that were a trade long or not cleanly rounded causing this problem.
The plunger tube for my Springfield MC Operator's slide lock is out of spec, I have to be very careful putting it in or I'll end up with a very ugly idiot mark. One of this days I really need to replace it.
Tankgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:52 PM   #6

I let my dad and mom use this to take there cw class supposedly 10 rounds each. looks more like 100 each. it is fithly. going to clean later and report the results. i should have cleaned it any way tho.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:59 PM   #7

Originally Posted by flyingDoberman View Post
I pushed the plunger with my finger nail then thumb safety went down. but same prob every time i engage safety ?
Is the plunger tube loose? That is a game ender with a 1911. And that is the sign of the possibility. You may need to remove the grip panel and safety to relieve the spring pressure. See if tube is not secure. They are just staked on. As a general rule per armorers course and book you would replace it. But many are not staked enough to start with depending on maker and quality. Restaking is a possibility with right tool.

The grip panel should contact and encase the tube so that in the event of it loosening the grip holds it in place. But many grips no longer do this to the varying specs of parts now that there is no mil spec guns being made.

Bedding the grip against the tube like a rifle stock with release agent will hold tube solidly. Slim line grips provide no tube support.

Last edited by Mike240; 02-21-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Mike240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:17 PM   #8

I mentioned on another post the true secret, a Lt. I worked with would soak his gun in the sink after range days. Now keep it to your selves................the guy was a genius.............
flyingDoberman and Markie like this.
Snake15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:35 AM   #9

mike 240 you guessed it ! I never had prob. with a lose tube but it is ever so slightly loose towards the rear noticed it while putting the spring and safety back in.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:49 AM   #10

Careful on replacing if the Frame is as soft as the GSG or Sig 22!