Army engineers develop new bullet - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Other Firearms

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2016, 10:46 AM   #1

Lightbulb Army engineers develop new bullet

Army engineers patent limited range bullet that self-destructs | Fox News

Here is an interesting (at least to moi) article about the Army patenting a self-destructive bullet to protect unintended injuries to civilians in urban or close combat scenarios. Do you think this bullet will soon see a market in the under 50 cal. size and for our Kimbers?
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #2
Banned

Who gets shot anymore? I thought it was all hellfire missiles from drones? Sending in troops is to expensive a way to kill the enemy. They can get shot at, live and then get 70+ years of costly medical care, prescription medicines, and contraptions so they can get around, sort of.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:33 PM   #3

Originally Posted by montanaResident View Post
Who gets shot anymore? I thought it was all hellfire missiles from drones? Sending in troops is to expensive a way to kill the enemy. They can get shot at, live and then get 70+ years of costly medical care, prescription medicines, and contraptions so they can get around, sort of.
Hellfires start at $65,000 each. YMMV

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2016, 01:00 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
Hellfires start at $65,000 each. YMMV

Tax dollars at work. I've seen missiles fired at a few ground enemy with nothing happening from a Hercules gun ship. Why not the gatling gun? Fookng pisses me off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - USCAA - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:25 PM   #5

Ah, tell me about it. I am a disabled veteran. I don't recall much as they dragged my bloody corpse around to get me to a hospital. I can't recall all the surgeries I've had. I was in a fog for a month or so. I eventually learned how to walk again. The USN surgeons put me back together rather nicely. I am only missing a few organs. I measure my scars in feet, not inches, and have so many that I could make Frankenstein gag in horror. But, life has been good since I was medically retired 43 years ago with full benefits
Montana, I say this in good humor.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:30 PM   #6

Thank you for your service and sacrifice, Donald.
JC45 and Donald like this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:40 PM   #7
Banned

Glad your doing well Donald. War sucks, it dangerous, people get hurt, and worse. It is not to be under taken likely, without critical and irrefutable evidence. Scores of young men are going to live long and suffer greatly from the last folly of war. Pisses me off, to no end.

I was USMC enlisted, and in Korea when KAL 007 was shot down by the Russians. I felt I was CU Next Tuesday hair away from being in an all out shooting incident.
Donald likes this.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:47 AM   #8

Glad your doing well Donald. War sucks, it dangerous, people get hurt, and worse. It is not to be under taken likely, without critical and irrefutable evidence. Scores of young men are going to live long and suffer greatly from the last folly of war. Pisses me off, to no end.

I was USMC enlisted, and in Korea when KAL 007 was shot down by the Russians. I felt I was CU Next Tuesday hair away from being in an all out shooting incident.
Montana. I just reread my post and would like to clarify my comments. I was not in combat. I did not get shot. I was on duty and got severely injured. I am no war hero.

My point was I am a disabled veteran. Military physicians and other professionals saved my life. I was medically retired with a pension and my generous vocational rehab benefits paid for 6 years of college and graduate school and launched my professional career. I am thankful for the benefits received and believe the government made a good investment in my rehab as my income taxes, from a long and successful career, have more than paid back the monies I have received in benefits back in the 1970's. I am not an entitled bum or leech on the government.

I do want to say that my sister, an AF nurse, is a war hero and bronze star awardee from her bravery during her time in Viet Nam. She married an AF fighter pilot who saw extensive combat in VN as well.

Lastly, thank you for your service.
montanaResident likes this.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:06 AM   #9

This discussion pulls me to both sides. Let me explain.

For one thing, I am a student of history. When American Marines were using the 30-06 as a battle rifle, both the Nazis and Russians were moving to rifles using mid-power rounds. Look at the Sturmgewehr 44, the Kalashnikov and the Simonov.

If you have to fight a war I believe your first directive should be to make it as short an adventure as you can. The shorter period of time in combat for your own soldiers the less they are exposed to PTSD, death and injury. Of course, you have to kill lots of the enemy, implying you need the firearms--and in this case, the projectiles--to accomplish this grizzly task.

Then there's my personal experience. I volunteered at a veterans' hospital, and ultimately I had to stop. I couldn't bear to look at it anymore.

('Resident, thanks for doing what I could not).
montanaResident and Markie like this.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:25 PM   #10

War is not like it used to be, too many rules, too many cameras, etc. I know from my Vietnam days how we had to follow the rules set forth by the Geneva Convention. Yet the other side does not play right!
Chuck43, Marshall and JC45 like this.
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote