• 1 Post By Spotly
  • 1 Post By 1911fan
  • 3 Post By Dragonwing
  • 1 Post By Zoomybaby
  • 2 Post By Spotly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2016, 07:37 PM   #1

Pre-64 Winchester Model 70

I have a Post-War Super Grade in 300 H&H Mag. It used to belong to my Grandpa. He used it like a tool, as was fitting. But having seen more winter elk hunts than I can imagine, it's not in the best condition. No dings or dents but the stock is weathered and the metal if free of any protective coating and has some minor rust spots in a few places.

I've kept it lubed and worked the action every now and them but I'm not sure if that's enough to keep it from withering away eventually. Even though it weighs much more than my .280, I'd like to use it for elk every now and then...for old times sake, but worried that taking it into the elements in the condition it's in won't be good for it. I'm torn regarding having any work done on it and leaving it as-is.

What do you think?

As an aside, .300 H&H ammo is nearly impossible to find.
Zoomybaby likes this.

You can tell alot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans. - Ronald Reagan
Spotly is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-02-2016, 04:46 PM   #2

Only have it brought back up to a solid usable gun. They are great shooters and actually have a little collector value.

In '64, the manufacture of those guns were turned over to a maker of washing machines. They did a lousy job and only did so for a couple years. Those made after then are just as good, if not better than the pre 64 but the pre models still hold a great resale in decent original condition.
Spotly likes this.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:59 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback. I just talked with my gunsmith about it today. He looked it over and recommended waxing the stock and the metal and said it should be good to go other than that. He recommended a certain wax (got it wrote down here somewhere).

You can tell alot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans. - Ronald Reagan

Old 03-02-2016, 09:58 PM   #4

I've always been told that you should keep them in original condition for better value. I've got a few "collector" firearms that belonged to my Grandfathers and I was thinking of restoring them as far as stock finish and blueing. I asked a friend who is a great gunsmith and firearm collector what to use on an old Model 97 and he told me to just clean it up and not to do any refinishing or it would diminish its value considerably. As long as your H&H is still working fine I would just keep it clean and well oiled because restoring the finish won't make it shoot any better. IMHO.
Chuck43, Spotly and Cybercycle like this.
Glock 22, 40 S&W
Glock 19, 9mm
S&W 629 Classic, 44 Mag
Ruger Super Blackhawk (pre 73), 44 Mag
Ruger Single Six/Convertible, (pre 73) 22/22 mag
Ruger Mark III, SS Slab Side Target, 22
Ruger Mark II, 22
Dragonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:17 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Spotly View Post
I have a Post-War Super Grade in 300 H&H Mag. It used to belong to my Grandpa. He used it like a tool, as was fitting. But having seen more winter elk hunts than I can imagine, it's not in the best condition. No dings or dents but the stock is weathered and the metal if free of any protective coating and has some minor rust spots in a few places.

I've kept it lubed and worked the action every now and them but I'm not sure if that's enough to keep it from withering away eventually. Even though it weighs much more than my .280, I'd like to use it for elk every now and then...for old times sake, but worried that taking it into the elements in the condition it's in won't be good for it. I'm torn regarding having any work done on it and leaving it as-is.

What do you think?

As an aside, .300 H&H ammo is nearly impossible to find.
Your grandfathers wear and use can never be replaced. Wax it or oil it, but keep it original. His life, his hands, his stories are what gives it the special character. It would be ashamed to remove that.

Chuck43 likes this.
Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:26 PM   #6

Totally agree with that. And I'm glad to have been with him on lots of those hunts. The man was a mountain to the end.
Chuck43 and Zoomybaby like this.