• 4 Post By cousinmark
  • 1 Post By Mike240
  • 1 Post By Snake15
  • 1 Post By Tankgunner
  • 2 Post By Mike240

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2016, 11:17 AM   #1

5/7 Ruger Mini 30 :-)

Brought my new Mini 30 to the range yesterday, this was the second time I've fired her. First outing was 20 rounds Sellier & Bellot 123gr FMJ and 40 Fiocchi 124gr FMJ. 100% and after firing one round through each mag to confirm action would lock open I found the two holes in the paper touched! No $hit :-)
After the initial run and subsequent cleaning the action was noticeably smoother. Yesterday I started with 40 Winchester Target 123gr FMJ, had one instance where the action didn't completely go into battery in the second mag? Next up 40 Sellier &Bellot 123gr FMJ 100%. Lastly 40 Fiocchi 124gr FMJ 100% :-)
Although I put a few drops of blue lock tight on the flash suppressor after the first outing it was loose again. That tube of lock tight is about 20 years old so I'm going to pick up a new one and clean the threads better with some break cleaner before I use it? otherwise a nice little shooter.
...target is at about 25 yards, far as she goes at my range. I know it's loose but the sights are new to me and I haven't adjusted them yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (1.94 MB, 12 views)
Chuck43, glokrok, Hoffbrew and 1 others like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-12-2016, 12:19 PM   #2

where's the love?

...not one comment on my commie carbine :-)

I was hoping to get some input on the best way to secure the flash suppressor? Ruger offers no torque spec for the crush washer, best I could find online was no more than 1 1/4 turns past hand tight. Some use anti seize some use rocksett or lock tight? Anyone have experience getting a muzzle device to stay put without being a PITA to remove?
Old 05-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #3

I have done many on ARs. Torque should be 34 ft lbs. peep washers used to used before the crush washer. Does the muzzle device require indexing due to it being a comp like the A2 versus the A1 M16 muzzle devise.

I have never used thread locker on a muzzle device.
cousinmark likes this.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:39 PM   #4

Very nice rifle and nice target, unless your hunting the neighbors cat leave the suppressor off, it's cosmetic. There's always duct tape
cousinmark likes this.
Snake15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:54 PM   #5

Always liked the mini-30. It's such a good versatile round, the only thing negative I've ever heard about them is some will not reliably function with steel cased ammo.
Never used lock tight on a flash suppresser before. But I would not think the blue would be good enough, I'd think either the red or purple would work better.
cousinmark likes this.
Tankgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:40 PM   #6

Thanks Mike

Originally Posted by Mike240 View Post
I have done many on ARs. Torque should be 34 ft lbs. peep washers used to used before the crush washer. Does the muzzle device require indexing due to it being a comp like the A2 versus the A1 M16 muzzle devise.

I have never used thread locker on a muzzle device.
No indexing required, it's evenly spaced slots, this is the device it came with made by Ruger. Came out of the box with just the one crush washer, that's all they supply. Did you mean "peel washer"? Like I mentioned the guy I spoke to at Ruger said he couldn't comment on using any type of thread locker and only said not to use too large of a wrench so as to not over torque it. He didn't give me a torque spec?
One of the online sources I found (seemed to know what he was doing) used a process where he got things hand tight then tightened 1/4 turn, backed off, then another 1/4 turn... until things were lined up properly. As this doesn't really need to line up with anything I was thinking about 3/4 total using the 1/4 turn at a time method, maybe a bit more on the last turn to get close to that 34# you've suggested. Ruger offers a tool that slips in the end and allows for a socket to be connected but since I don't have it I can't use a torque wrench. I'm thinking I'll be using an adjustable wrench and some duct tape on the lugs of the suppressor and a good guess at 34#s. Does that seem reasonable?
Old 05-12-2016, 01:51 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Tankgunner View Post
Always liked the mini-30. It's such a good versatile round, the only thing negative I've ever heard about them is some will not reliably function with steel cased ammo.
Never used lock tight on a flash suppresser before. But I would not think the blue would be good enough, I'd think either the red or purple would work better.
I think the problem is more the primers in the steel cased ammo (the $5/box stuff). I've seen where there are a few mods that can help and other reports of stock mini 30s having no issues with it? I'm cool with using the boxer primed brass ammo. As hot as she gets after a mag or two I don't expect to be burning through too much ammo with her :-)
Old 05-12-2016, 04:39 PM   #8

Yes I did mean peel washer. The turn on and off thing is good for threaded barrels but once a crush washer is used it is to be replaced by Colt specs. I have never done to a flash hider. Just screw it on and torque. I don't always use a torque wrench on these as the ones I use need indexed. 34 is not hard just firm. Spark plugs in steel head Chevys were 32-34 and I did hundred of those I'd guess.
Chuck43 and cousinmark like this.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:04 PM   #9

thanks again Mike :-)

I should be able to use the torque wrench on something to get the feel for 34#s and then be in the ball park with the hider. Hopefully I'll be able to get to the range this weekend, get the sights adjusted some and see how she holds :-)
Old 05-15-2016, 12:14 PM   #10

5/15 follow up, she's a keeper :-)

I had the flash hider torqued at my gun shop, could't get a good enough handle on it at home. They did it for free even though I didn't buy her there so that was cool. Thank's Franklins :-)
Ran 60 rounds today using two new 5 round Ruger mags, they were fairly stiff compared to the 20 rounders she came with? I think I'll need to leave them sitting loaded for a bit? The first round of each mag resisted going into battery, I expect that will get better.
The first 20 today were Federal Power Shok 123gr SP. The small target on the lower right as well as the hits on the main target were these? Not sure why I missed so bad on those hits to the big target. I am having some difficulty keeping track of the rear "Ghost Ring"?
The other small targets were all 10 rounds each of Sellier&Bellot 123 FMJ, the first round of this loaded smoother than the SP. Other than the first round being tight ( the mags seemed to loosen up more while I was there) no problemos and the flash hider stayed put. I like this little gun :-)
...target at 70ish feet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (1.73 MB, 1 views)