Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Other Firearms

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Spotly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2016, 12:11 PM   #1
Banned

Glass Bedding a rifle stock

After sighting in the Winchester M70 the other day and while wiping it down I noticed the slightest give in the stock. I removed the stock and inspected it all, tightened the barrel&receiver as tight as I could, and it still seems a bit loose. Hmmmmm....

Thinking of doing a bedding job on it. I watch the Potter/Midway video, and saw Larry do a sloppy of job of it, and it looks like something I can do, and better. Anybody have any experience with this? Supposedly it is a part of accurizing a long gun. It is probably far after learning to shoot, optimization thru reloading of ammo, etc. So I don't expect to see an improvement, since I'm still learning to shoot, and if the ammo goes bang I'm happy, but I got time to spare.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-24-2016, 01:32 PM   #2

I haven't done it myself but I did have my 700 mountain rifle's action bedded and the barrel floated. I've read free-floating a thinner barrel "could" reduce accuracy due to flex with each shot but the accuracy of mine continues to be as accurate as before having the work done. More important for me, it holds zero through some nasty weather during elk season.
montanaResident likes this.

You can tell alot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans. - Ronald Reagan
Spotly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:04 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to loadedround
Goggle ''glass bedding a rifle stock' 'online. You will find numerous ''how to do it'' articles and video's from the experts. Then buy a glass bedding kit from Brownell's and do it.
loadedround is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2016, 02:45 PM   #4

Brownells also has some good online instructions. They do pillar bedding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - USCAA - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:48 PM   #5

I was at the range the other day and a guy was with his grandson sighting in a new 30-06, he had all the gear, including a shooting rest bench on a lead sled. He was saying that the new synthetic stocks performed so much better than the much more expensive wood ones. Might be worth condidering although wood is so much better looking. Have fun.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:20 PM   #6

Yes. I have used aluminum pillars and Marine Tex as a bedding compound. Brownells Acru glass works okay too
Old 05-24-2016, 04:24 PM   #7
Banned

I checked all my rifles, and only one has a barrel that is truly free floating. This Weatherby was bought used and one of its advertised features was that it had been bedded and made free floating. By free floating; I can slip a dollar bill between the barrel and the stock. I want to do this, only for the experience. None of my other rifles have accuracy issues that this might solve.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:26 PM   #8
Banned

Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
I was at the range the other day and a guy was with his grandson sighting in a new 30-06, he had all the gear, including a shooting rest bench on a lead sled. He was saying that the new synthetic stocks performed so much better than the much more expensive wood ones. Might be worth condidering although wood is so much better looking. Have fun.
I believe that also about synthetic stocks. My Remington M700 SPS 7mm is my go to rifle as it is a nail driver from when 1st fired NIB.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:59 PM   #9

Having never attempted the process I'm no expert. I would suggest your first effort be on something you're not too attached to though. From what I've seen it's not too hard to mess up? Especially if you haven't figured out for sure which exactly which tools will be best for modifying any parts of rifle that may need to be altered? I'll be watching for the project post, this is going to be entertaining :-)
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:54 PM   #10

Tony Ben does a great job and he explains in great detail. Search you tube on glass bedding a m1a/m14 clone . He is very careful, suggest the best products doing the job for fiberglass stocks.
m144me is offline   Reply With Quote