Silencer/Suppressor ? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2016, 06:58 PM   #1

Silencer/Suppressor ?

Not much chatter here about them on here. For those that do have a silencer...Where did you buy it? Local gun shop? Online, like The Silencer Shop?
What brand are you using? Do you like it, is it easy to clean? Is yours a direct thread mount?
Tips, things to look out for.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-16-2016, 06:50 AM   #2
Banned

When I pretend I'm a spy/assassin, I pretend I have a silencer on my pistol.
RustyIron, Hoffbrew and starnovi like this.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:01 AM   #3

Good question 2sharp2...I was thinking the same thing. At my advanced age and hearing difficulties, I would like to have the ability to add a suppressor to some of my firearms when I felt the need. The problem seems to be the red-tape you have to go through to legally acquire one and some would argue the cost is a bit too high.

I know if they were generally available, a lot of folks might save their hearing and probably make the neighbors happy.
OGCA - Life Member
Cybercycle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2016, 08:20 AM   #4

If the fools at the ATF would take suppressors off the Class III list the price would probably be 1/2 or 1/3 of what it is today. That stupid tax stamp is suppressing competition in the market.

(sorry, didn't mean to hijack)
Chuck43 and Cybercycle like this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:02 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Cybercycle View Post
Good question 2sharp2...I was thinking the same thing. At my advanced age and hearing difficulties, I would like to have the ability to add a suppressor to some of my firearms when I felt the need. The problem seems to be the red-tape you have to go through to legally acquire one and some would argue the cost is a bit too high.

I know if they were generally available, a lot of folks might save their hearing and probably make the neighbors happy.
Silencers ARE available from what I see online and in LGS. It seems the paperwork (ATF Form and Gun Trust) is pretty simple however the wait time involved to receive the "Tax Stamp" approval then get the suppressor is excessive. I agree the cost of the total procedure is too high. Since I just purchased a Kimber with a threaded barrel I will probably buy a silencer but was hoping to figure out the best place to buy from.
Zoomy has at least one threaded barrel pistol and had talked to me about buying a suppressor but as far as I know has not started the process.
I am interested in them while I still have the legal right to buy one. Before the law says we can't buy a silencer or make the "fees" so high they are unaffordable.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

Old 07-16-2016, 01:34 PM   #6
Banned

22LR is for the hearing challenged that don't wear or buy quality earplugs.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:19 PM   #7

About a half year ago, I checked my 3 LGS's and they didn't stock suppressors and didn't plan to as there wasn't enough demand. I was told that a suppressor could be ordered if I wanted one. Seems your part of Tennessee has suppressors available. Sounds like a "catch-22" situation...gun stores here won't stock what doesn't sell. Given current events, I'll check to see if my local stores have recently changed their position on stocking suppressors, but until the long drawn out red tap and high costs change, I'll just keep using the best ear protection I can afford.
OGCA - Life Member
Cybercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:08 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Cybercycle View Post
About a half year ago, I checked my 3 LGS's and they didn't stock suppressors and didn't plan to as there wasn't enough demand. I was told that a suppressor could be ordered if I wanted one. Seems your part of Tennessee has suppressors available. Sounds like a "catch-22" situation...gun stores here won't stock what doesn't sell. Given current events, I'll check to see if my local stores have recently changed their position on stocking suppressors, but until the long drawn out red tap and high costs change, I'll just keep using the best ear protection I can afford.
Well every gun shop may not have display cases full of silencers but since the wait time for paperwork is so long, they should be able to order the silencer you need and get it way before the red tape is complete.
Can't wait to hear if your gun shops have silencers in stock and or are willing to order. I'm going to check some around here this week. I think they are selling it's just some shops may not want to put the time into the paperwork process.
Cybercycle likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

Old 07-23-2016, 02:43 PM   #9

A great place to buy a suppressor is from Silencershop.com. Huge inventory, great prices and very knowledgeable folks to deal with.

It's easy to do...

Go to the website and decide which suppressor you want then click the buy button. You can call Silencershop and ask for advice. Select the Class III dealer in your area you want it sent to. You're done. Silencershop handles all the paperwork for the transfer to your dealer. Usually takes three weeks or so for it to arrive at your dealer.

When your suppressor arrives at your Class III dealer, you then fill out your paperwork. Not much different that a 4473 you do all the time for a gun transfer. Your dealer should also give you two blank FBI fingerprint cards. Done

You'll need a CLEO to sign off on your paperwork. I just drop it off at the sheriff's office and they mail it back to me in a couple days.

Most police stations or crime scene departments will do fingerprint cards. Here in Chattanooga the crime scene team does it one day a week for free.

Make copies of everything. Write a check to the ATF for $200 and send it to the ATF along with your paperwork and both fingerprint cards. Done.

Wait a few months till your Class III dealer calls to let you know the Tax Stamp arrived. Go get your can and enjoy!

ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #10

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
A great place to buy a suppressor is from Silencershop.com. Huge inventory, great prices and very knowledgeable folks to deal with.

It's easy to do...

Go to the website and decide which suppressor you want then click the buy button. You can call Silencershop and ask for advice. Select the Class III dealer in your area you want it sent to. You're done. Silencershop handles all the paperwork for the transfer to your dealer. Usually takes three weeks or so for it to arrive at your dealer.

When your suppressor arrives at your Class III dealer, you then fill out your paperwork. Not much different that a 4473 you do all the time for a gun transfer. Your dealer should also give you two blank FBI fingerprint cards. Done

You'll need a CLEO to sign off on your paperwork. I just drop it off at the sheriff's office and they mail it back to me in a couple days.

Most police stations or crime scene departments will do fingerprint cards. Here in Chattanooga the crime scene team does it one day a week for free.

Make copies of everything. Write a check to the ATF for $200 and send it to the ATF along with your paperwork and both fingerprint cards. Done.

Wait a few months till your Class III dealer calls to let you know the Tax Stamp arrived. Go get your can and enjoy!

Are you certain the "CLEO paperwork sign off" is still required? I thought that was one of the changes that became effective on July 14th this year.
I saw the other day Silencer Company had a pic of a F150 truck with the bed full of ATF paperwork they said was over a million dollars worth headed to the red tape nightmare.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)