Experiences with your Truglo sights? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2015, 08:28 AM   #1

Experiences with your Truglo sights?

I'm interested in getting some green sights for my UC2 the next time it goes out to see Terry. (I think the flat-spring recoil assembly is next, too.)

I do not have any experience here on make or model, I do not know how durable they are or if they provide all the incentives they profess. Some hard user feedback is needed.

The price seems modest, but I'm not sure that's a good thing. Is fragility an issue?

Amazon Amazon
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-12-2015, 09:00 AM   #2
Super Moderator

The flat wire recoil springs are only available for 4" and 5" guns.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:31 AM   #3

I've got Truglo on my shotgun, and it is awesome. It grabs the light and is very bright. I put a triangular sight on it, and it made shooting clays super easy. Never tried it on a pistol.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:41 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses, guys. Chuck, I did not know about the lengths. I'll pass the info onto Terry at the time of any modifications. He's made other stuff for me.

@LinckG, I'm glad these optics are very bright, but I have some other concerns. For one, I do not know what material they are made from.

In another thread a member stated that in a laser application, the green optics were not as durable as the red ones. Now, clearly no enhancement device is attached, I'm just wondering if anything green is always more fragile.

Some form of enhanced iron sight will be going on my Kimber, I just don't know what type. And this is a defensive pistol, not a target gun. It's going to used, abused and bumped daily.

Heavens knows what a few hundred miles of shaking on a V-twin will do to anything! It's murder on watches. In fact, I'm even wondering about a GoPro camera, which I would also like.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:26 AM   #5

The Truglo sights are not laser, AFAIK. They use fiber optics for daylight shooting, and Tritium for night time. The Tritium will glow for about ten years before needing replacement. I believe that there is only one source for all of the Tritium used by all of the vasrious night sight manufacturers, so the Tritium is all the same.

I purchased and installed Truglo sights on two of my handguns, one of which is my concealed carry weapon. I put Truglo sights on my Kimber, and it really makes a difference, IMO. I think they are great, and worth every penny I spent on them.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:34 PM   #6

Richard, I know they're not a laser. I was referring to the material, not the function. Sorry for the confusion.

Here's my point. It was reported that the ruby-type rod material in the red lasers can take more stress. The inference is that the green must be somehow 'weaker' or more prone to breakage.

The benefit of the color green is that it seems to be more discernible in brighter light. And since you cannot plan for an emergency, with my luck I'm going to lock horns with the only Chicago jihadists that commit crimes at noon...

My concern is that whatever makes the Truglo sights green in color is because it's the same material as used in a green laser. I do not know what they make it out of, and I figured someone might know here.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:12 PM   #7

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Richard, I know they're not a laser. I was referring to the material, not the function. Sorry for the confusion.

Here's my point. It was reported that the ruby-type rod material in the red lasers can take more stress. The inference is that the green must be somehow 'weaker' or more prone to breakage.

The benefit of the color green is that it seems to be more discernible in brighter light. And since you cannot plan for an emergency, with my luck I'm going to lock horns with the only Chicago jihadists that commit crimes at noon...

My concern is that whatever makes the Truglo sights green in color is because it's the same material as used in a green laser. I do not know what they make it out of, and I figured someone might know here.
I'm not sure there is a very big difference between the two colors, Chico. Lasers actually generate light, while TFO sights simply refract it. Theoretically, an electrically-powered laser would be bright and easy to see in any kind of ambient light situation, while a fiber optic sight would need an external light source, like the sun. A radioactive material, like Tritium, can generate its own light as a result of radioactive decay, but it is not very bright, so it works best in very dark ambient light conditions. With the Truglo sights, the brighter the sun, the brighter the sights, and it is very easy to pick out, and remain focused on, the front sight. Green is preferred especially by those with color-blindness, who have problems seeing red.

I had not heard that any particular color of fiber optic material had more or less physical strength than any other, so I wonder where that information came from. Do you have a source you could share? I'm not disputing it, just wondering.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:19 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Do you have a source you could share? I'm not disputing it, just wondering.
I think it was here, or someone here repeating what they heard.

I have to be honest you, stuff that is non-metal (being resin, polycarbonate, bakelite, or composite) is just "plastic" to me. And because I believe some bikes are built of iron for men made of steel, I'm distrusting of anything else.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:17 PM   #9

I have green truglo night sights on one of my carry guns and I'm very happy with them. Shot a little less than 1000 rounds and so far no problems. They are bright and sharp in the dark and excellent during the day as well. I would buy them again. If I remember well I paid $85 on amazon.

I had a truglo fiber optic front sight on one of my 12ga shotgun and I was please with it as well.
Richard likes this.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:05 PM   #10

I have TruGlo TFOs on my G19 and carried it for a long time. They are, hands down, the best sights I've ever used. I wish I could get them for my Walther. Easy to see in all light conditions, day and night.

The fiber optic rods are tough. You will not be able to hurt them. I even called TruGlo and talked to a tech and he told me they soaked them for days in solvents and in Hoppes no9 and there was no damage or any effect. The tritium vials are bright too.

I wish I had these sights on all my guns.
Chuck43 and Richard like this.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote