When would you draw your gun? - Page 3 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Training Videos

Like Tree72Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2019, 02:33 PM   #21

Situational awareness is great and should be practiced but even the best of us (I am not in the class, I'm a daydreamer) let down here and there.
That's true. I see people walking around with their face buried in a cell phone, with ear buds in listening to pod casts or whatever, looking at the ground instead of all around. You're just training yourself to become a victim by doing these things.

When you step outside, don't just walk- take a few seconds to look around, to listen,to observe. then start walking. Note where you are. Note the time of day or night. Note the relative abundance or scarcity of witnesses. Note the people around you. are they clearly behaving like random individuals or are they acting in concert? Do they have a bunch of tattoos and look suspicious? Are they getting into positions? Is there a lookout? are they blocking you? Watching you? Following you? moving towards you? moving away from you? are they assessing you? If you change your direction, do they?
motormac likes this.
Mr. Gun Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-18-2019, 11:20 PM   #22

Originally Posted by BobHyatt View Post
There is at least one golden rule here. NEVER pull a gun and point it at someone unless you have every intention of firing.

Shouting "stop, or I will shoot" pretty much never ends well. A gunfight is typically over in under a second, not the 10 minute shoot-outs you see on cowboy movies. When fractions of a second count, you have to save every fraction you can. BEFORE you draw your gun, if you have time, you should try to assess everything around you. IE is the target line clear? Any potential for collateral damage by shooting into a house? If so, it's your job to move to a position that will most likely be safe for bystanders when you do draw and fire.

If someone has pointed a gun your direction, it should not matter whether he backs up, turns sideways, or grows wings and flies straight up. The act of pointing a gun at you should be all the impetus you need to draw and fire. The old "judged by twelve rather than carried by six" still applies.

There really is not a lot of time to process things once you have started to draw your gun. You should not start the draw unless you see an imminent threat you feel requires neutralizing. If you are standing around waving your gun, anything can (and will) happen. Most of them not good for you.
Tombstone, AZ, October 26, 1881, Gunfight at the OK Corral took, maybe, 32 seconds. Look at the different movies of this event to see the ten or fifteen minute battles.
motormac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:25 PM   #23

I killed everything I pointed at. Ate a lot of rabbits and squirrels
motormac likes this.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote