When would you draw your gun? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Training Videos

Like Tree56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2016, 11:57 AM   #1

When would you draw your gun?

Chuck43, 2sharp2, Oreste and 7 others like this.

Always be ready - 5.11
Hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-20-2016, 09:20 PM   #2

Any immediate deadly danger to myself, family, friends, or others around me. But I never would draw, unless I intended to shoot, and shoot to kill. this aint a cowboy movie!
Zoomybaby, Holster, Markie and 2 others like this.
ruger22com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:58 PM   #3

Originally Posted by ruger22com View Post
Any immediate deadly danger to myself, family, friends, or others around me. But I never would draw, unless I intended to shoot, and shoot to kill. this aint a cowboy movie!
I agree with your statement with one small concern. I wonder if most of us not being trained , as a Police Officer or Military person would be. Would we be able to recognize in time, the bad guy retreating, because of us drawing our gun, and not pull the trigger. The last thing you want is to be defending yourself and have someone video taping you showing the bad guy stepping backwards as you shoot him.
I have made the same statement as you many times, but I am not sure its that clear cut.
Here's what I think I will do.
If I feel someone's life is I danger I will pull my wepond, release my safety , and give the bad guy one opportunity to stop before I pull the trigger, this will not be a negotiation. He leans towards the victim a quarter an inch the wrong way and it's lights out. A quarter an inch away from the victim and he may just live. We are not taking about it, dancing around or anything else. But I do believe if drawing your gun stops the bad gun, you may should let him go. This of course will be handled different if this person has harmed my wife or children, Then I will just take my chances in court . And kill the bastard.

Chuck43, 2sharp2, Hoffbrew and 8 others like this.

Last edited by Zoomybaby; 05-20-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2016, 03:02 AM   #4

Hmmm. I think it is difficult to say. As a former Leo , I hope my training would take over and my instinct would tell me when to shoot or don't shoot .
As a former Leo many times I already had pulled my weapon and was ready for what ever action was needed. As a civilian, I don't want any one to know I am armed until right before the flash and I hope to God I made the right choice.
Now a days I do my best not to be in those situations. But I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:52 AM   #5
Banned

Any time I see a threat. I get my hands on the pistol when I hear a threat.

That is Animal Threats.
Hawker800 likes this.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:02 AM   #6

Right before I shoot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (90.2 KB, 10 views)
Snake15 and wayne like this.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:04 AM   #7

Only to save life or great bodily harm. If the perp has a knife, bat or club he gets a warning, if he has a gun he will never hear the report. I won't risk him getting a shot off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wayne and Blfinish like this.
Albert.Cairns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:05 AM   #8

Or not......
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (46.4 KB, 9 views)
Snake15 and Blfinish like this.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:55 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Sometimes I think about this, let's say you live in a free state where getting a carry permit is easy or isn't necessary. Now you're in a mall with a loved one and you hear shots fired. You look to your right and there's a man with a gun, on your left is another one and maybe a second, do you draw and chance getting mistaken for the shooter? What if one of them is the shooter, how do you know? Which one do you shoot if either and how do you know?
glokrok, Markie and wayne like this.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:34 PM   #10

In my life time, I've had to pull my gun three times, and each time just having my gun out was enough to defuse the threat, never had to fire a shot or shot and kill any one, but If I hadn't have been armed, I wouldn't be writting this today,that I know to be true, the surprise alone was more than they expected and threw them for a loop, I was lucky, it didn't go any further, but I was ready to do what ever I had to, to end things, they retreated, so on each occassion , firing my gun wasn't needed, I was very gratfull that I had my gun on me when these things happened,you just never know in life when your world can be turned upside down, being prepared to protect yourself and loved ones should be priority #1 IMHO...and today is a ton worse than when these things happened to me...
Zoomybaby and Blfinish like this.
TENWOLVES is offline   Reply With Quote