Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Micro 9 for three months and this morning passed the 1,000 round mark through it. Here are some thoughts. The first range trip was a disaster; FTF, fail to fire, FTE. I couldn't get a mag through it. I pressed on for almost 100 rounds before I quit.

At home I stripped it down to discover the extractor had NO tension on it, so I applied a bit and beveled the bottom of it to allow it to slide over the case easier. Back to the range and the extraction issue was solved, but I was still getting failure to fires. I found the firing pin was bent! Called Kimber and they wouldn't send me one so back it went. Six days later it was back home and functioning perfectly.

The trigger pull was horrible with a magazine in the gun, but good without one...so I colored a mag with a sharpie and found the trigger bow was dragging on the magazine body. Tore it apart to find the stamped bow had not been polished to clear the magazine. I used a fine file and filed off the stamping marks then used a dremmel to mirror polish the trigger bow. Problem solved!

So now I'm just running rounds through it and it's function is fine. Eats factory and reloads with no problem.

So here are my thoughts .I wish it had a heavier recoil spring and a flat bottom firing pin stop. These would mitigate it's recoil and be easier on the frame as well. I trust it as a carry gun because it now is functioning perfectly and in a Don Hume JIT belt slide conceals well under a t shirt.

These are fine little pistols and plenty accurate for what they are designed to do, but I wish Kimber paid more attention to detail before sending them out the door. The owner should not have to be the pistol tester and fixer.

·
Registered
681 Posts
@Byrd .. glad to hear it's running well. You're right... we shouldn't have to pay a premium for the firearm and provide our own gunsmithing. Sadly, the alternative is to return it and hope they fix everything in one trip.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Argee, I really like this pistol. For what I need as a carry gun it's ideal. You are correct though we should not have to do our own gunsmithing to get them to run. I'm handy with fixing and tinkering with firearms after having done it for over 40 years so I was familiar with what needed to be done. Nothing major thankfully, just stuff that should have been done at the factory. In fact today I was visiting with a friend and he asked if he should buy one for his wife and I had to tell him no based on my experience with mine.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've had my Micro 9 for three months and this morning passed the 1,000 round mark through it. Here are some thoughts. The first range trip was a disaster; FTF, fail to fire, FTE. I couldn't get a mag through it. I pressed on for almost 100 rounds before I quit.

At home I stripped it down to discover the extractor had NO tension on it, so I applied a bit and beveled the bottom of it to allow it to slide over the case easier. Back to the range and the extraction issue was solved, but I was still getting failure to fires. I found the firing pin was bent! Called Kimber and they wouldn't send me one so back it went. Six days later it was back home and functioning perfectly.

The trigger pull was horrible with a magazine in the gun, but good without one...so I colored a mag with a sharpie and found the trigger bow was dragging on the magazine body. Tore it apart to find the stamped bow had not been polished to clear the magazine. I used a fine file and filed off the stamping marks then used a dremmel to mirror polish the trigger bow. Problem solved!

So now I'm just running rounds through it and it's function is fine. Eats factory and reloads with no problem.

So here are my thoughts .I wish it had a heavier recoil spring and a flat bottom firing pin stop. These would mitigate it's recoil and be easier on the frame as well. I trust it as a carry gun because it now is functioning perfectly and in a Don Hume JIT belt slide conceals well under a t shirt.

These are fine little pistols and plenty accurate for what they are designed to do, but I wish Kimber paid more attention to detail before sending them out the door. The owner should not have to be the pistol tester and fixer.
Seem like the micros are problematic. I had issues with a Rapide, sent it back worked perfectly. These issues should be addressed before leaving the nest. Anyway I sold mine hours after I received it back. Replaced it with an Ultra for my EDC & couldn’t be more happier. I have 3 1911’s and not any issues. Seems like the 1911’s are their forte.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Seem like the micros are problematic. I had issues with a Rapide, sent it back worked perfectly. These issues should be addressed before leaving the nest. Anyway I sold mine hours after I received it back. Replaced it with an Ultra for my EDC & couldn’t be more happier. I have 3 1911’s and not any issues. Seems like the 1911’s are their forte.
I've never had a gun fail out of the box except for Kimber.
You are right, These issues should be addressed before they ever hit a box.
My Arctic seems to be working perfectly now after Kimber got it back. I put 8 magazines of 8+1 through it without one failure.
Now they have my Micro 9 for dropping the magazines.
For a thousand bucks they should take a little more care in the beginning.
I say screw the tight tolerances and give me a little AK action so we don't have to keep sending them back. These aren't competition pistols.

I just picked up a S&W M&P 3.75 45 ACP NTS just for reliability's sake.
I have no doubt it will function perfectly out of the box. I just don't like it as well as the Kimber 1911's.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love Kimbers. Their fit & finish is wonderful. I've got a 25 year old Kimber Custom with thousands of rounds through it that's my "watch this" pistol. It just runs and it accurate. I've had to send guns back to Kahr (a PM9 that did not work) and they replaced it. A Ruger SP 101 for finish issues and had great customer service from both companies.

I could see my Micro 9 passing a factory firing test. If they put one mag through it, it probably did function fine. It's when you start putting hundreds of rounds through them that stuff crops up. I think a LOT of gun owners just buy their guns to fondle and have pride of ownership. I shoot during the summer at a friends property, and some of the guys that come will run a magazine or two through a pistol and be done. I'll shoot all afternoon. That's how I find out what my guns need.

Most people would just dismiss the hard trigger pull I experienced as part of the platform, but I knew it wasn't right and I guarantee that none of my friends would have taken their pistol apart to diagnose it. I know guys that will buy a pistol, load it and carry it. Nope! For me it's got to prove itself! My Micro needed some tweeks and now it's my carry gun.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I love Kimbers. Their fit & finish is wonderful. I've got a 25 year old Kimber Custom with thousands of rounds through it that's my "watch this" pistol. It just runs and it accurate. I've had to send guns back to Kahr (a PM9 that did not work) and they replaced it. A Ruger SP 101 for finish issues and had great customer service from both companies.

I could see my Micro 9 passing a factory firing test. If they put one mag through it, it probably did function fine. It's when you start putting hundreds of rounds through them that stuff crops up. I think a LOT of gun owners just buy their guns to fondle and have pride of ownership. I shoot during the summer at a friends property, and some of the guys that come will run a magazine or two through a pistol and be done. I'll shoot all afternoon. That's how I find out what my guns need.

Most people would just dismiss the hard trigger pull I experienced as part of the platform, but I knew it wasn't right and I guarantee that none of my friends would have taken their pistol apart to diagnose it. I know guys that will buy a pistol, load it and carry it. Nope! For me it's got to prove itself! My Micro needed some tweeks and now it's my carry gun.
Agree with your assessment.

I own quite a few Ruger's and have had to return several including my beloved SP101 for repair and replacement. Their customer service has always been exemplary.

My experience with Kimber was good. The return being loose in a box with no packing slip is debatable. I'm not convinced that it's Kimber's mistake.

• Wow
Reactions: Byrd

·
Administrator
39,134 Posts
My experience with Kimber was good. The return being loose in a box with no packing slip is debatable. I'm not convinced that it's Kimber's mistake.
Are you saying the gun was shipped loose in a box without the case?

·
Registered
14,433 Posts
Thanks Chuck, that's what I was wondering?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Are you saying the gun was shipped loose in a box without the case?
Yes.. it was just the slide. It was wrapped in a small piece of bubble wrap which had come off and was in a small box (the box that I had shipped it to them in) which was in a larger box. There was no packing slip in either box.
I thought it odd to use so little of bubble wrap... especially coming from the factory that ships these type of items daily.

Pure speculation here.. recalling the condition of the outer box.. it's as if someone had opened and repackaged it. I had to sign for it so I don't think it was shipped elsewhere. Did a dishonest UPS employee open it? Will never know. Important thing is it made back on my Micro 9 with a new finish and no scatches, so I'm happy with it.

·
Administrator
39,134 Posts
So when you originally shipped it to Kimber for service, you didn't include the case it came in?

·
Registered
681 Posts
So when you originally shipped it to Kimber for service, you didn't include the case it came in?
No.. I did not. Inasmuch as it was the slide only I triple wrapped it in bubble wrap and put it in a suitable box which I further stuffed with additional material to take up any air space. I've shipped similar packages to Ruger and others without any problem.

·
Registered
14,433 Posts
You got lucky IMO. I say yes it was opened by someone...if it had been a complete pistol and not JUST a slide it would have been "LOST" and you would have received a empty box like I did when Rick mailed me 3 original Colt Woodsman magazines.

·
Registered
681 Posts
You got lucky IMO. I say yes it was opened by someone...if it had been a complete pistol and not JUST a slide it would have been "LOST" and you would have received a empty box like I did when Rick mailed me 3 original Colt Woodsman magazines.
That's what I suspect. It was so shoddily packaged I can't believe that Kimber or any reputable manufacturer would ever let it out the door like that. I guess I could call Kimber and request a copy of the packing slip and alert them of what it showed up like so they can investigate it on their end if the so desire.

·
Registered
147 Posts
When I returned mine to the mother ship, I packed it inside a hard plastic MTM Case-Gard gun box with foam liner inside, taped all my info on the box, then put that inside a UPS mailing box, thoroughly padded all around. I got it back exactly the same way.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
When I returned mine to the mother ship, I packed it inside a hard plastic MTM Case-Gard gun box with foam liner inside, taped all my info on the box, then put that inside a UPS mailing box, thoroughly padded all around. I got it back exactly the same way.
That's the exact method I use when shipping any handgun. Never had an issue, and the weapon always returns in the same package.

Wish I had done that when I sent Arland those treasured Colt Woodsman mags!

·
Registered
14,433 Posts
You and me both Rick!!

Reactions: Rick in Oregon
1 - 17 of 17 Posts