Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just jumped into the world of 1911's. Want to know what is the most popular holster for eithe IWB or OWB. I'm basically looking for the most comfort in hot days (9 months in my neck of the woods). Thank you to all who reply.

·
Registered
16,055 Posts
Revolver Eyewear Material property Font Wood
Wright Leather OWB Marshal and Old World Gun belt.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Fred, there's probably over 30 posts on here related to holsters for 1911's, as the question has been asked more times than I can remember. Do a quick search, and you'll find a trove of holster opinions and information. The search function works quite well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You and only you can determine what holster you use. What works for me might not work for you. Most of us have gone through several types and styles of holsters before we find the "one" that truly works. There are people that have boxes and drawers full of the ones that did not make the cut. I understand searching for the right holster is not cheap, but it is a necessary evil. Wearing an uncomfortable holster all day long is miserable - especially a heavy 1911.

Another thing to consider is your belt. The best holster in the world is crap if used with a lame belt. Again, belts are like holsters, you just have to trial and error until you find the "one". What works for me may or may not work for you. My advice on holsters and belts is you generally get what you pay for. There are some hidden gems, but I would not chase after them.

In my opinion, the best holsters are made by the "cottage" shops. These are the small mom and pop shops. They generally put in a lot of time and effort to make a quality product. @2sharp2 shows an excellent example of this in his post above. @Rick in Oregon is spot on as well in his post. You can read 100's of posts on this subject and never have to ask a single question. In doing so, you will see a manufacturer's name, type of holster, and carry method repeated in several different posts - these will be the ones you will want to look at a little harder...

I am a leather OWB person for my 1911's. I have been working with leather for almost 50 years and I make my own. I have made a dozen or so 1911 holsters (OWB and IWB) and am still in search of the "perfect" holster. I am always trying to make one better than the last - that is just me...

Since you are concerned with heat - a leather holster is not going to be your friend. Take a look at Alien Gear holsters - they started out as a "garage" based shop and have evolved in to a major player. Good luck in your search...

Mt latest leather OWB

Everyday carry Rectangle Strap Electric blue Musical instrument

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fred, there's probably over 30 posts on here related to holsters for 1911's, as the question has been asked more times than I can remember. Do a quick search, and you'll find a trove of holster opinions and information. The search function works quite well.
I totally understand what you mean. I'm also a long time member of the Glock forum, and we get new members asking the same question that has already been asked before. My intention was to create a consensus or pattern without having to dig thru hundreds of post. For example If some one were to ask the same question over at the Glock forum, instead of me( who has been there for a long time) advising the new member to use the search feature, based on my experience, I could easliy tell him that the M-Tac holster should be of consideration. Based on the many coments and opinions I have already read from other members over the years. I appreciate your input and hope my words are not misinterpreted.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I'm one of those that doesn't mind questions being asked, repeatedly. Maybe not in the same week or so, but to me, the same question being posed by another person is an opportunity to help someone out and maybe fill some blank areas. My favorite holster maker is, unfortunately, no longer with us. But do d agree. small shops offer the best value and craftsmanship. Case in point. Look at the Wrights Leather Works units. They're, fit well. But they are NOT molded. Proper and complete molding takes time working the damp leather so it forms to every line, groove, bump and notch, on your weapon. That molding helps ensure a longer lasting holster with stronger retention attributes. By comparison, look at the holster displayed by Stockmaker. That holster is form fitted. A lot of hand labor and pride in their craft, went into that piece.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Well one more for Wright Leather Works. I have been using an IWB one every day for quite a while, don't remember years. To be honest have a few extra pounds and in the summer use a t-shirt between me and the holster and a loose fishing shirt over top with no problems (as in it is comfortable). Just have an aversion to plastic holsters.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Case in point. Look at the Wrights Leather Works units. They're, fit well. But they are NOT molded. Proper and complete molding takes time working the damp leather so it forms to every line, groove, bump and notch, on your weapon. That molding helps ensure a longer lasting holster with stronger retention attributes. By comparison, look at the holster displayed by Stockmaker. That holster is form fitted. A lot of hand labor and pride in their craft, went into that piece.
I am not trying to pick a fight - but you are totally wrong. Wright Leather Holsters have excellent retention - they just do not show the definition of the pistol. You are confusing the retention issue based on looks. You mention every line, bump, groove, and notch - just for looks and not retention. Each time you draw your weapom form a high definition holster, you are dragging steel on the leather. A quality holster does not have drag - it has a snap to it and the weapon locks into place - this is proper molding. I am not saying a quality molded holster cannot have have a degree of definition, but you are basing your opinion on looks - not facts

·
Registered
500 Posts
I am not trying to pick a fight - but you are totally wrong. Wright Leather Holsters have excellent retention - they just do not show the definition of the pistol. You are confusing the retention issue based on looks. You mention every line, bump, groove, and notch - just for looks and not retention. Each time you draw your weapom form a high definition holster, you are dragging steel on the leather. A quality holster does not have drag - it has a snap to it and the weapon locks into place - this is proper molding. I am not saying a quality molded holster cannot have have a degree of definition, but you are basing your opinion on looks - not facts
My Wright holster has excellent retention as well.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
If you're looking for top tier leather IWB rigs, I'd highly recommend these makers:
Milt Sparks
Adams Leatherworks
Privateer Leather

There are many more of course, but these three have satisfied all my carry wants. Expect to pay more for true, high quality custom leather, and not 'Amazon' or Wally World prices. The old adage of you get what you pay for never was more true than here. Here's some for consideration...

Milt Sparks VM-II with one of my Ultra's, Adams Leatherworks with my Micro 9:

My Browning Hi-Power with a Privateer IWB rig:

Evan a full size fighting pistol (BHP) can be carried comfortably IF a quality holster is employed:

When carrying for SD, keep in mind the old saying referring to bike helmets....'how much is your life worth?' Quality costs, but in the end it's more than worth the wait or the price of admission. Choose carefully, choose once. Good luck in finding the correct one for you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you're looking for top tier leather IWB rigs, I'd highly recommend these makers:
Milt Sparks
Adams Leatherworks
Privateer Leather

There are many more of course, but these three have satisfied all my carry wants. Expect to pay more for true, high quality custom leather, and not 'Amazon' or Wally World prices. The old adage of you get what you pay for never was more true than here. Here's some for consideration...

Milt Sparks VM-II with one of my Ultra's, Adams Leatherworks with my Micro 9:

My Browning Hi-Power with a Privateer IWB rig:

Evan a full size fighting pistol (BHP) can be carried comfortably IF a quality holster is employed:

When carrying for SD, keep in mind the old saying referring to bike helmets....'how much is your life worth?' Quality costs, but in the end it's more than worth the wait or the price of admission. Choose carefully, choose once. Good luck in finding the correct one for you.
Thank you, that is presicely what I'm gearing towards. Some nice fancy leather to go with my fancy looking Kimber.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I don't believe I said anything negative about Wright leather. I did say exaggerated definition aids long lasting retention. Do I know of any long time studies to support my claim? No. Common sense does. Do you have any long term studies to support your claim, the steel being pulled over the leather will wear and reduce the retention, (implied)? Now, the part about quality leather not having drag.... If you say so. In my opinion, if a holster wants to go home with me, it best have a lot of drag. My holster collection includes Galco, DeSantis and even Horseshoe Leather Works. All of them show some nice, fine line molding and all of them still have great retention.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts