Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a follow up range report from another post I have on here about my first shoot with my new Kimber Pro Carry 2 HD.

http://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/kimber-1911-forum/1142-new-kimber-user-1st-shoot-problems.html

I got my new Wolf XP Spring in on Tuesday and replaced both the Recoil and Firing Pin Spring.
I had so many Failure to Feeds that I was really questioning my Kimber purchase.
I made it to the range on the way home from work today. Brought 7 full mags plus 100 rounds of handloads I made a month ago. 200gn RNFP with 5.8gn Unique powder. Put every round down range minus 3 I gave to the shooter next to me that was interested in my handloads.
125 rounds down with ZERO problems before I had on failure to feed. But I had a dinged up shell, so Im blaming it on that.
I was overjoyed with the ability to shoot more than 10 rounds without clearing a failure. Gun shoot well. Recoil is awesome. Made me feel a whole lot better about the gun.
I do have a question. As I got this gun used and have no idea of how many rounds went through it, what kind of accuracy should I be expecting out of this at approx. 35 feet. My groups was all on the chest of the target, but maybe an 8 - 10 inch group. I consider myself a pretty good shot and was a little let down on my group.
I have a Sig p229 .40 that I shoot 3" groups and tear out the center of the paper with. Could the barrel be worn too much?
I took some pics of the barrel after 140+ rounds through it today and then cleaned it and took pics of it clean. There are some rough looking spots that to me I should expect to see. Maybe effecting my groups. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You can see in the second and third images the dull area toward the bottom of the barrel. I have cleaned the barrel repeatedly and still have that area that looks rough. Opinions needed.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Might be a gunsmith question. I'm not qualified to give an opinion.

·
Super Moderator
5,193 Posts
I'm no expert, but I think now that it's running right, it's time to find the ammo that it likes best. No two guns perform the same with the same ammo, if that makes sense. Find what your Kimber likes and your groups will improve.

·
Registered
14,043 Posts
No expert here either. I don't think your barrel is worn out. Ammo could make difference. Have you shot from a rest to remove any wobble factor? I've been wrong and way off base before.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I can't tell anything about your barrel. I have a stainless pro carry II and from what I can tell, it's pretty darn accurate. I'm a new shooter and seem to shoot better than the average shooter I see at the range. (Latest target attached) I think a lot of that is the gun. Others who have shot my gun seem kinda surprised that they shoot tighter groups with my gun than they do with their own. There are a lot of SWAT teams that test for accuracy and reliability and have settled on Kimber.

A PC II is a fine gun and worth having it looked at by a good gun smith.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
38,430 Posts
Unless you want to invest in a bore scope find a local gunsmith that has one and go from there. It's the only way you're going to get a true picture of the inside of the barrel.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I reckon that spring was a good idea huh?
Can't help you with the accuracy just glad it's running good now....;)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Unless you want to invest in a bore scope find a local gunsmith that has one and go from there. It's the only way you're going to get a true picture of the inside of the barrel.
If you're having a colonoscopy, take your gun....they can give your barrel a probe at the same time.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Glad its firing fine for you now. I didn't think it was your reloads!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts