Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired a lnib Solo STS last week. I immediately bought an assortment of 124gr and 147gr ammo and loaded all 4 mags (2 six round and 2 eight round) and let them set. I cleaned the gun and continued to research here and on other forums. I called Kimber cs and found that my Solo was manufactured in January of 2013. I don't know how many rounds the previous owner put through it.

I went to the range today with these results:
Speer Lawman 147gr. fmj - 50 rounds, no fte.
Magtech 124gr. fmj - 50 rounds, 6 fte.
Hornady XTP 124gr. jp - 18 rounds, 1 fte.
Remington Golden Sabers - 18 rounds 1 fte.

It is obvious that the gun did not like the Magtech. I am slightly concerned about the 2 fte on the Hornady XTP and the Golden Sabers. My plan is to take it to the range a few more times and shoot Speer Lawman and defensive rounds through it. I am hoping that it will loosen up and break in. Am I being too optimistic? Should I consider sending it to Kimber? I bought it used and have no warranty so I hope it works through these issues.

·
Super Moderator
38,342 Posts
Since you don't have a history on the gun I would treat it as if it were newly purchased. I'd follow Kimbers break in scheduled and see if things don't get better, if not then give Kimbers customer service a call. Don't be surprised if they honor the original warranty even though you bought it used, good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Chuck. That is my plan (treat it as a new gun). Outside of the Magtech 124gr. I wasn't extremely disappointed. I won't be using the Magtech again, at least not in my Kimber. My Kahr CW9 will gobble it up. The gun was extremely dirty when I cleaned it. I think I will be shooting 50 rounds per session my next couple of outings using the 147gr Speer and Remington Golden Sabers.

·
Super Moderator
38,342 Posts
I'd suggest you try some Freedom Munitions reloads, this is very high quality, clean burning ammo that is very popular with the guys on this forum. Even paying for shipping it's still very reasonably priced. If you've never bought from them before they will ship your first order for free.

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
When I had my Solo it wouldn't shoot the FM at all.
It ate everything after getting it back from Kimber but I never tried the FM at that point...

·
Registered
148 Posts
now remember this is a small gun. Are your hands too big? Are you limp wristing? Are you trying a new grip?

I have used nothing but Winchester Nato ball 124 grain 360 rounds and Black Hills JHP 124 grain 40 rounds with only 2 failures in the first 50 rounds.

If my success sounds unreal. Try what I did. Use Frog Lube! Take it down, get it hot, Frog Lube it down, wait an hour, gently wipe it down. Send me a thank you note.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Franco, read my thread on my range trip last Friday. "Broken firing pin safety." I have been testing my SOLO since January. I have close to 600 flawless rounds go through it. Few quirks that I accept and can deal with. But what happened to me Friday at around the 65th round has me very spooked. When an internal safety ends up in your shirt pocket you really have to question the guns reliability. I guess I am just damn tired or testing and tweeking this gun. Impending failure is always on my mind, even though the gun has fired great. i have a Beretta PX4 Compact and blaze through 15 round mags one after another there is never a fear that something will go wrong. 2500 rounds. Same with my Ruger LCP. My problem is that this gun literally fell apart in my hands. Popping springs and parts. By the way this part is not part of take down. How it happened only God knows. But this is way more than an FTE. This was catastrophic failure on a 6 month old gun with 600 rounds. Even if fixed, I don't think I can put this gun back in my rotation where my life depends on it. I will call Kimber tomorrow. i really need to know what could have gone wrong.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Franco, read my thread on my range trip last Friday. "Broken firing pin safety." I have been testing my SOLO since January. I have close to 600 flawless rounds go through it. Few quirks that I accept and can deal with. But what happened to me Friday at around the 65th round has me very spooked. When an internal safety ends up in your shirt pocket you really have to question the guns reliability. I guess I am just damn tired or testing and tweeking this gun. Impending failure is always on my mind, even though the gun has fired great. i have a Beretta PX4 Compact and blaze through 15 round mags one after another there is never a fear that something will go wrong. 2500 rounds. Same with my Ruger LCP. My problem is that this gun literally fell apart in my hands. Popping springs and parts. By the way this part is not part of take down. How it happened only God knows. But this is way more than an FTE. This was catastrophic failure on a 6 month old gun with 600 rounds. Even if fixed, I don't think I can put this gun back in my rotation where my life depends on it. I will call Kimber tomorrow. i really need to know what could have gone wrong.
Im very interested in what Kimber says. I hope Kimber isn't covering a crap product like Chevy did with the ignition switch recall. Is it typical east coast union laziness that is making a inferior product or just cheap parts selling at a premium price? Im at 400 awesome rounds but what happens when I hit 600??

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
Im very interested in what Kimber says. I hope Kimber isn't covering a crap product like Chevy did with the ignition switch recall. Is it typical east coast union laziness that is making a inferior product or just cheap parts selling at a premium price? Im at 400 awesome rounds but what happens when I hit 600??
I have a friend that when I told him that I was buying the Solo his question to me was...
"Are you serious,have you read the reviews?"
I told him that I had and was going to buy it anyway because I have 2 PC2's and if I ever had a problem with them{which I never did} Kimber has a great CS reputation.
After wanting to throw my Solo after the 3rd range session, I called Kimber and I sent it back for a tune-up.
Once it returned, it rang through 600 rounds without a problem and is still going strong with it's new owner after another 500 rounds and a new recoil spring later..
Kimber will make it right...I was in your shoes and felt like after paying $700 for it that it should work right out of the box,and I still feel that way.
Be patient and good luck..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the suggestions guys. I have never used Frog Lube Old Soul but I am willing to try it. I am a big man with thick hands but I shoot small pistols regularly. I was concentrating on not limp wristing. In the same range session that I talked about I put 100 rounds through a new to me TCP with no failures. I shoot my CW380 (you want to talk about small) often. I am willing to work through a break in period but I understand people's frustration. I have used Freedom Munitions products in the past with no problems Chuck.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
By "fte" do you mean Failure to Extract or Failure to Eject?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bought my Solo STS yesterday and took it to the range this afternoon. After prepping the gun to all specs prior to shooting I fed 40 rounds of Federal Premium 124 gr Hydra-Shok. I was a thing of beauty. Not one problem, NONE! I had to get use to the longer trigger pull but it shot like a dream. It had a bit more life than I expected, but after 3 clips it felt as nice as my Super Carry Ultra +. It was a great start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I acquired a lnib Solo STS last week. I immediately bought an assortment of 124gr and 147gr ammo and loaded all 4 mags (2 six round and 2 eight round) and let them set. I cleaned the gun and continued to research here and on other forums. I called Kimber cs and found that my Solo was manufactured in January of 2013. I don't know how many rounds the previous owner put through it.

I went to the range today with these results:
Speer Lawman 147gr. fmj - 50 rounds, no fte.
Magtech 124gr. fmj - 50 rounds, 6 fte.
Hornady XTP 124gr. jp - 18 rounds, 1 fte.
Remington Golden Sabers - 18 rounds 1 fte.

It is obvious that the gun did not like the Magtech. I am slightly concerned about the 2 fte on the Hornady XTP and the Golden Sabers. My plan is to take it to the range a few more times and shoot Speer Lawman and defensive rounds through it. I am hoping that it will loosen up and break in. Am I being too optimistic? Should I consider sending it to Kimber? I bought it used and have no warranty so I hope it works through these issues.
I'd say definitely try the heavier ammo more often, I recently used the same Hornady ammo except that it was 147gn and it show perfect with no failures.

Steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
Second trip to the range with the Solo. Put 60 rounds through it without any FTE. Used Fed Hydra Shok 124 gr. But I'm having a difficult time trying to rack the slide It took me over 30 rounds before I could rack a round into the chamber. I really like the gun but this racking thing is very irritating. I'm hoping with more practice this will no longer be a problem.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
So, are you saying that it is difficult for you to pull/push the slide back and release to chamber a round. I found your second sentence a little confusing.

·
Super Moderator
38,342 Posts
I was a bit confused myself, if your having a hard time chambering a round it will get easier as the gun gets broken in. You've only got 100 rounds through it so far.

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
I was a bit confused myself, if your having a hard time chambering a round it will get easier as the gun gets broken in. You've only got 100 rounds through it so far.
The Solo was by far the hardest firearm that I ever had to rack.
Lucky that I had read the reviews before buying it otherwise I would have thought something was wrong with it.
You're right Chuck, it does get much easier as it breaks in..

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Thanks, Jeff. Not having a Solo, I was not sure what the issue was.

I had a Browning Hi-Power once that was damn near impossible to rack. I unburdened myself of that firearm as quickly as possible.

Reactions: Marshall

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry I wasn't clear on racking a chamber. It is VERY difficult to rack a round into the chamber. I have to have the slide locked back before I insert the 6 round mag. Many owners seem to have to do this until they have shot more rounds. I believe that is what I'll need to do. But it make me feel a bit weak in front of the wife when we are at the range and I can't pull the slide back to chamber a round. My wife giggles.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts