Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchase a 10mm eclipse and I’m having significant feed issues. The round does not appear to be nose diving, but becomes jammed as it enters the barrel. It is also gouging the brass in the same spot every time it cycles whether it feeds or not. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I'm wondering if the pistol was purchased new? Have you tried several brands of ammo? What's the round count? If she's new call Kimber and let them potentially deal with adjusting the extractor, reaming the chamber or what ever else is need of attention. You paid for the warranty, use it if need be. If you haven't tried other ammo offerings that's something to consider. Slight variances in production can be an issue especially in a new pistol. If she's out of warranty and you are of the mind look through the stickies in the gunsmith area. There are in depth, step by step write ups by several of out esteemed members on extractors and chambers. Lots of good info there.
I'm sure she'll get sorted out one way or another, keep us posted.

...those Eclipses are some fine looking pistols :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
The gouge on the cases indicates a three point jam may have occurred. The cartridge is in contact with the breechface, the top of the chamber, and the break-over edge at the top of the feed ramp all at the same time. The other possibility is that the extractor has excessive deflection or bad geometry and is the root cause.

To determine which is responsible do this the next time the malfunction happens. While holding the pistol tap the muzzle with a piece of wood. This should disengage the barrel from the slide, the slide will snap forward, and the barrel will go into battery. This means you have a three point jam. Fixing this problem would be best handled by a real 1911 'smith or an advanced hobbyist.

If smacking the muzzle with a 2x4 doesn't allow the slide to snap forward, try pushing the slide forward. If the slide moves forward and the barrel goes into battery then the extractor is the problem. Fitting or fixing extractor problems are well within the abilities of someone with a little mechanical aptitude to fix. See this link for info on how to do this: Steve in Allentown Extractor fitting

You could also try removing the extractor then locking a fully loaded magazine into the pistol with the slide locked to the rear, then releasing the slide and allowing it to move forward at full speed. If the same malfunction occurs, the cause is definitely not the extractor since it is no longer in the pistol.

Do take care not to have your finger anywhere near the trigger when doing these tests. There's nothing more surprising than hearing a loud bang when you don't expect it. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm wondering if the pistol was purchased new? Have you tried several brands of ammo? What's the round count? If she's new call Kimber and let them potentially deal with adjusting the extractor, reaming the chamber or what ever else is need of attention. You paid for the warranty, use it if need be. If you haven't tried other ammo offerings that's something to consider. Slight variances in production can be an issue especially in a new pistol. If she's out of warranty and you are of the mind look through the stickies in the gunsmith area. There are in depth, step by step write ups by several of out esteemed members on extractors and chambers. Lots of good info there.

Thanks for the reply. No the pistol is a 2017 and has about 200 rounds through it. I haven’t been able to try any other ammo through it due to the insane shortages of ammo up here in Alaska. It is impossible to get 10mm right now. I did call Kimber, but since it is out of warranty they didn’t have much info for me. I plan on using it in the woods with some hard cast Buffalo Bore for bears so I need it to be reliable.I’ll try to get my hands on some more ammo and maybe mags then I’ll probably take her to a smith.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The gouge on the cases indicates a three point jam may have occurred. The cartridge is in contact with the breechface, the top of the chamber, and the break-over edge at the top of the feed ramp all at the same time. The other possibility is that the extractor has excessive deflection or bad geometry and is the root cause.

To determine which is responsible do this the next time the malfunction happens. While holding the pistol tap the muzzle with a piece of wood. This should disengage the barrel from the slide, the slide will snap forward, and the barrel will go into battery. This means you have a three point jam. Fixing this problem would be best handled by a real 1911 'smith or an advanced hobbyist.

If smacking the muzzle with a 2x4 doesn't allow the slide to snap forward, try pushing the slide forward. If the slide moves forward and the barrel goes into battery then the extractor is the problem. Fitting or fixing extractor problems are well within the abilities of someone with a little mechanical aptitude to fix. See this link for info on how to do this: Steve in Allentown Extractor fitting

You could also try removing the extractor then locking a fully loaded magazine into the pistol with the slide locked to the rear, then releasing the slide and allowing it to move forward at full speed. If the same malfunction occurs, the cause is definitely not the extractor since it is no longer in the pistol.

Do take care not to have your finger anywhere near the trigger when doing these tests. There's nothing more surprising than hearing a loud bang when you don't expect it. :(
I appreciate the good info. I’ve owned and worked on a lot of firearms, but this is my first 1911. I’ll run it through the tests and see how she does. The jam seems to be happening as the case slides up the breech face’s guide grooves that are machined into the slide before it comes into contact with the extractor. I’ll try to run it through the tests and come back to you guys.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
...just a few related thoughts?
It seems as though we see problems like this with 10mms almost as often as with subcompacts? It makes me wonder if there's an innate issue with the cartridges dimensional variances? In other words how consistent are the cases and bullets compared to 45ACP or 9mm for example?
The other thing that comes to mind is the longer cartridge in general. Does it require a more finely tuned 1911 platform to run smoothly?
I have no doubt the issues can be resolved and oddly was talking with someone a week or so ago about the fact that 10mms are getting a lot of love in Alaska.
Look forward to hearing how this shakes out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts