Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was on the Wilson Combat site shopping as usual and came across an interesting article and his take on different grains in a compact 1911.

"All the mechanical changes are important, but the biggest factor is ammunition selection because it affects both slide cycle speed and the magazine's ability to lift the cartridge into position for proper feeding. Ammunition loaded with 230gr bullets generate more recoil impulse (especially +P loads) than 185gr loads and 7 rounds of 185gr ammunition weighs 315gr less than 7 rounds of 230gr ammunition making the column of ammunition easier for the magazine spring to lift. I hope you see where I'm going here? With modern hollow point bullets we have LOTS of bullet choices of 200gr or less that have proven to be VERY effective in regards to terminal performance."

I'm sure most of you have read this and if it's a dupe you can delete it mods. I found it interesting. I have noticed with my compact Kimber that when I fed 185gr Hornady critical defense through it, it loved it. With the 230gr I still get the occasional FTF. I think the next time I make an order with Freedom Munitions I'm going to try the 200gr RN Reman.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Mike240

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Agreed. There is a post in the gunsmith section regarding springs and slide speeds.

Lighter bullets generally are loaded to higher velocity to get enough recoil energy to cycle the gun fully. In competition to make things fair a power factor is calculated. Bullet weight times velocity divided by 1000.

Some choose to make power factor with heavy bullets and slower speed versus the lighter but faster bullet crowd. Each can be the same power factor but each will feel different to the shooter.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
My ultra should be broke in by now and I had a ftfeed on the last shot yesterday with some reman jhp's 230 grn. I just got some 200grn Hornady in and I just bet my ultra will eatem up.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I had some remanufactured jhp's left over in my ultra and back up magazine that I replaced with Hornady Factory loads. I placed the remaining remanufactured ammo with the factory Hornady ammo in the same factory package, you know the plastic crate that holds 20. The factory ammo fit in the spaces so uniformly and the remanufactured ammo was wobbly and different heights etc. No wonder I have a few ftf or e's with this stuff. The tolerances with the Kimber are so tight that im sure my ultra thinks im a cheapskate feeding my baby leftovers. Shame on me!

·
Super Moderator
38,416 Posts
I had some remanufactured jhp's left over in my ultra and back up magazine that I replaced with Hornady Factory loads. I placed the remaining remanufactured ammo with the factory Hornady ammo in the same factory package, you know the plastic crate that holds 20. The factory ammo fit in the spaces so uniformly and the remanufactured ammo was wobbly and different heights etc. No wonder I have a few ftf or e's with this stuff. The tolerances with the Kimber are so tight that im sure my ultra thinks im a cheapskate feeding my baby leftovers. Shame on me!

I don't know whose reloads you're using but I'd recommend you switch over to Freedom Munitions reloads. I've gone through thousands of them without a single problem.

Reactions: glokrok

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Y'all see the FM is offering free shipping for your entire order, as long as you buy 1,000 rounds of 5.56 @ $350. If I bought 1,000 of 5.56 I wouldn't have any money to buy anything else. :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya, I have no use for 5.56. I got excited when I saw the free shipping until i read a little further, lol

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have fired nothing but 185 grain through my Ultra. It loves them. Some have been my old reloads, but most have been new LAWMAN truncated ball. For carry, I load 185 grain hollow points.
I'm like them, the gun likes them, why look elsewhere?

Reactions: Richard and ByrdMan

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ammo...

Every gun will shoot a specific brand, load and weight of ammo "better" or should I say more well suited to the shooter's style as well as need. With today's wide variety of factory loads and the reloads available, it's just a matter of trying out as many as you can to choose the "best" for your specific need(s). It goes back to the old saying "I'd rather be shot at with a .45 than be shot with a .22". Shoot what your most comfortable with and a round that agrees with what your shooting at. I shoot a Kimber PRO CDP II, 4" barrel .45. It will, without fail, shoot anything I have fed it including a wide variety of reloads. My choice for duty and personal defense are two...No. 1, Wilson 230gr XTP HP, 815fps, made by Wilson Combat for use in a 4" barrel. Second runner-up is Remington Golden Saber, 230GR BJHP. Both are excellent rounds however, I'm sure there are several other manufacturer's that produce an equally well performing round that I haven't tried. As for practicing and fun shooting (not qualifing), I'll feed whatever I have available. Be safe, be smart and practice all you can.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
I think my next order from FM will be 200 gr HP .45. I have this marked on my Wish List with them. Hope they make some soon.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think my next order from FM will be 200 gr HP .45. I have this marked on my Wish List with them. Hope they make some soon.
That'll be my next order as well. They have a retail store not too far from my house so maybe they'll have it in stock there.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Try a box and give us a report. Thx.

Reactions: ByrdMan

·
Super Moderator
38,416 Posts
Try a box and give us a report. Thx.
I'd be interested in that report as well but I'm thinking about ordering the 230 gr. hollow points. I like throwing all the weight I can.

Reactions: glokrok and ByrdMan

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
We'll see which ones become available first. :)

I can't remember the .45 HP being available.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts