Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Has anyone done a 460 rowland conversion or a 45 super ?
With a 45 Super, all that needs to be done is switch out the recoil spring to a heavier one. Same for a 460 Rowland, and get a barrel that will fully support the case head for higher pressures.

Hawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Personally if I need a bear gun for the backpack I'm sticking with a nice .44magnum +P or +P+ and the lovely simplicity provided by a Super Blackhawk. I'm an admitted minimalist and realize others prefer more moving parts and all that goes along with a 1911.
I expect some of our esteemed .460 Rowland proponents will be along to help with specific first hand input. There are several threads here on the subject if you dig back and a number of the said faithful are still around.
...my best advise is to hold onto that hand cannon tight and don't get an idiot ding on your forehead :)

·
Super Moderator
38,415 Posts
The .460 case is 1/16" longer than the .45 case, I have a Kimber Two Tone Custom II that I converted to .460 Rowland a couple of years back. I got my kit from direct from Rowland and love it. I can shoot both .45 and .460 rounds with it, take along my .22 conversion kit, and I'm ready for about anything.

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
Chuck made me do it, I also bought a Custom Two-Tone back in the day that I think I paid the grand sum of $650 bucks and ordered the 460 kit direct from Rowland. Now that I've seen Chucks optic I may have my slide milled for one.
Great stuff.
Be aware of some counterfeit units like on eBay and maybe a few other online sites.

Reactions: cousinmark and JC45

·
Super Moderator
38,415 Posts
Chuck made me do it, I also bought a Custom Two-Tone back in the day that I think I paid the grand sum of $650 bucks and ordered the 460 kit direct from Rowland. Now that I've seen Chucks optic I may have my slide milled for one.
Great stuff.
Be aware of some counterfeit units like on eBay and maybe a few other online sites.
Arland no milling involved if you use the Burris Fastfire 3 like I did.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Both options, either Rowland or Super require a few updates, notably Barrel and main spring. For the Super, the increased case pressure requires extra full support of the case, not to mention the actual case requires thicker webbing. Good article on the ACP vs Super at the following link.

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
Arland no milling involved if you use the Burris Fastfire 3 like I did.
Thanks, didn't know that. Does the Burris Fastfire 3 available in Green?

Reactions: bad ninja

·
Super Moderator
38,415 Posts
Reactions: 2sharp2
1 - 11 of 11 Posts