Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Excellent review! I agree with pretty much everything he said. I don't know if I would describe the Mako as 'attractive'. I think it's fugly. But... it's a carry gun and I really don't make aesthetics a big priority in that category. The one thing in this review that jumped out at me is that the gun shoots bigger than it is. 100% agree. The other is that the polymer somehow feels stronger or more rigid than comparable pistols. The Mako is definitely underrated. I wonder how sales are going. I see a lot of Mako print ads, but I have yet to see a LGS advocating for it. That suggests to me the margins may be better with other guns. Like the P365 or G43.

· Registered
4,955 Posts
He ain’t right either
The ugliest thing Kimber’s ever made 😆
And yet they abandoned this ..???
That Pepper blaster gimmick would be the ugliest thing Kimber ever made. Less grip surface than a Davis derringer, and all the styling of a dollar store water pistol.

I do agree KT, no polymer gun is gonna ever look as good as a Kimber 1911.

· Registered
16,549 Posts
Have you ever seen a $100 in store credit if you purchase a Stainless Raptor? I didn't think so...nuff said.

· Premium Member
1,389 Posts
He ain’t right either
The ugliest thing Kimber’s ever made 😆
And yet they abandoned this ..???
I dunno. It looks like it's wearing a hat. No wonder nobody bought them. I think people who like the looks of a 1911 and want a small, concealable 9mm pistol are the sweet spot for the Micro 9. A gun that size is a point-and-shoot weapon. I don't think the RDS adds much to it. Evidently, the market agrees. That's why Kimber quit making them.

If I were going to make a prediction, it would be that the advancement of optic technology for pistols and the broader acceptance of it is going to inspire a shift back to larger pistols for EDC. There are some signs of this already happening. Like the Hellcat Pro. Not duty-weapon size but bigger than the trend of the past few years and "smaller is better". Tiny red dots like the Sig Zero are challenging for inexperienced shooters - who represent a lot of gun buyers.

Smile Chin Hat Outerwear Eye

· Premium Member
1,389 Posts
good or bad looks aside, it still doesn't seem to have sold as well as some other brand's version of the same or similar thing. i have a sig 365, 938, and a cz p10s. my mako shoots as good or better than most of these. the price is right in the ball park too. not sure why they aren't more popular.
Agree. I don't get it either. It isn't the gun, so it has to be ineffective marketing. Something in their game plan isn't working.

· Registered
4,955 Posts
The market is saturated.
I have a p365xl and my wife carries the Mako.
I almost bought a Mako after shooting hers, but the modular aspect of the Sig Intrigued me, so I bought it.
It's a great gun too.
If my Ultra Carry II had an optic I would prefer it over either of those two hands down.

· Premium Member
622 Posts
Maybe it is because Kimber pistol enthusiasts
are like Harley Davidson enthusiasts.
Hide bound to steel single-action 1911 style pistols.
Polymer striker fired pistols are unwelcomed.
American made big air-cooled v-twins.
No water cooled, multi-cylinder rice burners.
Font Thigh Art Event Wood
Plant Organism Sky Cartoon Picture frame

· Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Maybe it is because Kimber pistol enthusiasts
are like Harley Davidson enthusiasts.
Hide bound to steel single-action 1911 style pistols.
Polymer striker fired pistols are unwelcomed.
American made big air-cooled v-twins.
No water cooled, multi-cylinder rice burners.
Probably true. Geezers only though. HD is struggling to appeal to younger buyers. They canned the CEO a couple of years ago and that hasn't helped much. Trump's trade tariffs drove another nail in their coffin. Overseas sales were helping them stay afloat prior to that.

That said, I loved my 48 and regret selling it. Pardon the blaspheme, but the future of bikes is electric. It remains to be seen if HD can make that transition. Young people view the traditional Harley as something their great uncle with a scraggly beard, gray ponytail, and tats rides.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Glasses Vision care Motor vehicle Beard Helmet

· Registered
386 Posts
The market is saturated.
I have a p365xl and my wife carries the Mako.
I almost bought a Mako after shooting hers, but the modular aspect of the Sig Intrigued me, so I bought it.
It's a great gun too.
If my Ultra Carry II had an optic I would prefer it over either of those two hands down.
Do you have your Ultra Carry II slide milled or dover tail mount plate ?

· Registered
4,955 Posts
Probably true. Geezers only though. HD is struggling to appeal to younger buyers. They canned the CEO a couple of years ago and that hasn't helped much. Trump's trade tariffs drove another nail in their coffin. Overseas sales were helping them stay afloat prior to that.

That said, I loved my 48 and regret selling it. Pardon the blaspheme, but the future of bikes is electric. It remains to be seen if HD can make that transition. Young people view the traditional Harley as something their great uncle with a scraggly beard, gray ponytail, and tats rides.
View attachment 133581

The worst bike HD ever made was the electric Live wire.
It was a nightmare, and a total shitbox.
EV bike owners are the polar opposite of HD owners.
The second worse was my old Glide.
It pretty much made sure I will never own another modern HD.

Young people today can't even tell you what a woman is, and think there are a dozen genders.
Don't look to them for advice on motorcycle sales.
If they wear skinny jeans and loafers, they aren't going to be able to give good advice on anything other than which month Starbucks will start selling pumpkin slice lattes this year.

· Registered
4,955 Posts
Do you have your Ultra Carry II slide milled or dover tail mount plate ?
No milled slide, because the Schwartz safety system of the "II" series guns lives right where the optic sits.
It can be done, but it's expensive, deletes the safety, can cause issues.
I looked into it.
With the Ultra Carry II, the juice ain't worth the squeeze to mill the slide.

Dovetail mounts IMHO look too cumbersome on a UC II.
I would, however use them on a full size without hesitation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts