Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a place for these in my life. If you're a woodpecker lover don't read on. My homes have been terrorized by these little suckers for years. I shoot them when I can.
I have my original Sheridan 5mm which I bought for myself when I was very young. It is the quietest of the 3 I have, and with 5 pumps it travels at a modest 650fps. It is scoped and deadly accurate...almost isn't fair.

I have a higher end Gamo, scoped, .22 cal, 1250fps that is LOUD and has a kick like a .357. The trigger was garbage so I did a Charlie D'Tuna trigger job on it; very light sort of like your Kimber. I get the tree-top birds with that one.

Lastly, and by far the nicest, RWS Model 54 side-cocking; 1100 fps, .22 cal with the "no-recoil" system. The action moves back within the stock, pretty bad-ass. That one belonged to my father, after his death years ago no one could find it. After some finger pointing with my brothers mom found it 13 years later under a bed in a guest room. When I shot it, it was dead on as my dad was pretty particular how he scoped it in and stored it.

I only use lead, the "green" ammo is complete garbage.

·
Super Moderator
38,430 Posts
I have a RWS 350 magnum .22 to repel bird feeder raiders (tree rats).

·
Super Moderator
5,193 Posts
I've got a Beeman with two barrels can be .177 or.22. It's got a nice scope and is accurate.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a RWS 350 magnum .22 to repel bird feeder raiders (tree rats).
Quality built. A little on the heavy side (mine) but RWS has a great reputation. An online buddy (retired sniper) uses them to shoot from crazy distances. Scopes are wonderful :D

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got a Beeman with two barrels can be .177 or.22. It's got a nice scope and is accurate.
What I've learned is ammo selection is key to any pistol/rifle. It makes a difference-sometimes measured in feet. That lightweight supersonic stuff is a perfect example. I can't use it.

·
Super Moderator
38,430 Posts
Quality built. A little on the heavy side (mine) but RWS has a great reputation. An online buddy (retired sniper) uses them to shoot from crazy distances. Scopes are wonderful :D
Yes it's a little on the heavy side but it's a quality made German gun, I've got a Bushnell scope on it.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it's a little on the heavy side but it's a quality made German gun, I've got a Bushnell scope on it.
I don't remember the brand of scope on the RWS, nor do I remember the name of the one I put on the Gamo, but it was semi expensive and has adjustable red/green lighting which I use a lot. Just have to remember to turn it off. I may be a Bushnell, at least one of my scope boxes is.

·
Super Moderator
38,430 Posts
I use a Bushnell Banner 4-12X40 AO scope, 1/4" M.O.A. 1" tube.

·
Registered
14,043 Posts
Wow! Googled the RWS air rifles. Didn't know they made air rifles that cost that much. I saw they have several models, is the model 54 side cocking the best or what makes them better/different from there other models.
Would not mind having one but not sure I want to invest 5 or 6 hundred dollars into an air rifle.

·
Super Moderator
38,430 Posts
Wow! Googled the RWS air rifles. Didn't know they made air rifles that cost that much. I saw they have several models, is the model 54 side cocking the best or what makes them better/different from there other models.
Would not mind having one but not sure I want to invest 5 or 6 hundred dollars into an air rifle.
You don't have to invest a ton on money into an air rifle to have fun with it. First you have to decide what you want to use the air rifle for, serious target shooting, plinking, hunting etc. If it's just going to be plinking and maybe a little pest control then most of the Gamo air rifles will fill the bill for under $200.00. These are all going to be barrel cocking guns, side or under lever cocking guns make cocking the gun easier but are expensive. Air rifles are not hard to cock if I had to guess I'd say it takes 20 some pounds of force to do it. The only other decision you have to make is the caliber, they come in .177, .20, .22, and .25. .177 and .22 are the most popular, I prefer the heavier .22 pellets for taking out squirrels and the occasional stray cats that think my bird feeder is their lunch box.

Reactions: 2sharp2

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are made for serious shooters. Probably the best. The 54 side cocking is amazing to shoot with NO recoil and great accuracy. But as said, they are a bit heavy, yet well balanced. If you need stealth kills on your property like I do it's a good way to go.

·
Registered
14,043 Posts
Thanks Chuck43 and Ultraman. Going to check out the Gamo rifles. Sometimes I could use it on the patio when I get bored for target practice or chipmonks and cats that try to eat the song birds at the feeder. Thought my grandson might like it.

·
Super Moderator
38,430 Posts
I think you can address all your needs with a Gamo and put a smile on your grandson's face that be very hard to erase. You will be surprised at both the power and accuracy it will deliver.

Reactions: 2sharp2
1 - 13 of 13 Posts