Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you install an ambi safety on one of the 3" compact 1911's that don't come with one from the factory? Thanks.

Stay safe, John

·
Super Moderator
38,381 Posts
In a word "yes".

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm actually weighing my options for which gun to purchase. I shoot left handed so that's why I want the ambi safety. Now that I know I can remedy that easy enough, that part of the equation is solved. The Stainless Ultra Raptor II comes with the ambi safety (one I'm considering) and the Ultra Eclipse II (another I'm considering) does not. I need to get back to the Kimber dealer maybe tomorrow to handle the Raptor and the Eclipse side by side. Friday I was able to shoot 6 different new to me guns and I liked the 3" compact Kimber the best. The other major consideration between the two guns in question is the weight difference, 25oz empty for the Raptor vs 31oz empty for the Eclipse. I like my 23oz S&W 640 in stainless opposed to an airweight version just fine and I'm just not sure about the heft of the Eclipse over the Raptor. I would assume felt recoil may be slightly less with the heavier gun also. Any insight would be appreciated as I step up to the larger caliber. I did not like any of the stryker fired guns I shot on Friday so I guess I'm a 1911 type of guy. First time ever shooting 9mm and 45acp. I saw my first Kimber (about 30 of them) about a month ago and really liked the Solo but I decided if I'm going to get another handgun I will step up tp 45acp rather than sideways from 38spl to 9mm. I also didn't care for what I read and heard about the Solo's expensive eating habits. At least that's how I'm looking at it. I also want to remain in a concealable sized handgun hence the 3" compact.

Stay safe, John

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Thanks folks. Where might one find the parts, Kimber?

Stay safe, John
Odds are about 90 percent that a kimber ambi will drop in with no fitting. But no promises. You can buy from kimber. Midway also has kimber parts. Brownells has the blackened kimber ambi but not the stainless.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went back to the closest Kimber LGS today and handled the previously overlooked Eclipse Ultra II. Overlooked because of the lack of an ambi safety. Now all I have to do is scrape enough coin together to make the purchase, I really liked that gun. Thanks for quick answers to my questions folks. I need to pick up my muzzle loader tomorrow with it's new scope so my discretionary cash will be low again.

Stay safe, John

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Not sure if this is the correct thread to post this, but ...

Another positive for having an ambi safety on an EDC is that you can easily check to ensure the safety is still on without pulling the gun out of the holster.
Earlier today I was putting my SCUHD in the wonderful pancake holster that Kenneth made for me. I did not notice that the upper leather portion of the holster that protects my side from any portions of the gun, and vice versa, had bumped the thumb safety to the off position. Since carrying the SCUHD is relatively new to me, I have a habit of "feeling the safety" on the right side to ensure it is still in the up, on position. It was not. Doesn't cause me any real concern that it was off, but I like to know that when a safety is on, it stays on until I switch to the off position.

Anyway, that's my thumb.gif for ambi safeties.

Reactions: Chuck43

·
Super Moderator
38,381 Posts
I favor ambi safeties, all my Kimbers have them and I've been seriously thinking of putting one on my Sig P238. When I shoot I try to get at least a couple of magazines in with my weak hand.

Reactions: Insta-Gator
1 - 12 of 12 Posts