Kimber Talk Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some bad luck with my first Micro 9. Had it back to the factory twice & finally sold it.

Have the Full size Black Ice in 9mm so I thought I would give the Micro 9
IMG_2029.JPG
Black Ice a try.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I handled one of them at a LGS here in town the other day. Fit and finish were excellent. I have a base model micro 9 and could not be any happier with it. They make absolutely perfect carry guns, in my humble opinion anyway.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Enjoy that little guy... I bought one for my Xmas present to myself.. Had a few problems at first but all good now and it’s my carry....

·
Super Moderator
37,615 Posts
I really like the looks of the Rapide Black Ice, I might have to pick one up, good luck with it.

·
Registered
13,705 Posts
I'm liking that more all the time however the rear sight looks odd (to bulky) for a compact pistol...

·
Registered
278 Posts
I love everything about mine.. the sites are fantastic.. trigger nah.. but hey livable.. drilled slide yep cool.. serrations in slide are a little sharp.. all n all good piece.. and a keeper for a long time for me... it’s my daily carry.. best of all it’s a one hand dead on at 35 yrds and closer

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have yet to buy a new Kimber without issues. Cleaned it & Flitzed the rails. Cleaned it some more & lubed it up before
hitting the range with it this morning.

Loaded the one mag I have with 124 gr. Rem. UMC. Sling shot the first round. BANG! second round loaded ok but, but no bang. Hand
racked the round out & pulled the trigger. BANG! for the next 5 rounds. Loaded it up again with 5 rds. this time & BANG! second round,
no bang. WTF? Ran about 30 rounds with the same results. It was like the trigger wouldn't reset. Had 10 rounds left, so I ran a mag of
SIG SAUER 147 gr. JHP. First round, BANG!. Second round no bang. As I went to rack the slide, I noticed the safety was on. Not all
the way, but enough to keep it from resetting the trigger. Reloaded the mag & carefully pulled the trigger, making sure my thumb was
nowhere near the safety & BANG! BANG! BANG! I was unconsciously hitting the safety every time. Finished up all the ammo I had with
me & all went BANG!

Never had a safety that sensitive before. I will have to make some adjustments to my grip to prevent this from being a problem. Wish I had
more ammo with me, but I'm trying to limit how much I shoot.

Hoping this was the problem. The little bugger is quite accurate, & the recoil is surprisingly mild. Will try some 115 gr. next time out.

Anyone here have similar issues with the grip?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Lots of shooters allow their left thumb to ride high whwn shooting two handed.
Sometimes it rides the slide, causing issues.

With a small pistol, that has a 1911 style safety this can also cause the thumb to contact the safety.

Honestly, both Kimbers I have shot (Ultra Carry II .45 and a 10mm Target II) were flawless out of the box. However, both of those are actual 1911s.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I used to shoot all my 1911’s with my thumb on top of safety so it’s forced down, no chance of it snicking on. When I bought my Sig P938 and my Micro 380 I changed my shooting grip just for that reason. Safety is too small to ride and my thumb was too high on the gun and would snap the safety up. I now use a tucked thumb grip on all my hand guns and no more problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hard to change my grip after 50 years of shooting. For that reason I doubt this pistol will ever be in my carry rotation.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Hard to change my grip after 50 years of shooting. For that reason I doubt this pistol will ever be in my carry rotation.
Nothing to it, as long as you have your trigger control mastered a couple range trips using the new grip and you’ll be dialed in. I think I actually shoot better since it’s a tighter grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
840 Posts
Even old Devil Dogs can learn new tricks.
Just lower the thumb position of your suppprt hand.
It's not a new grip.
Its a slight correction which you should use with every auto loading pistol.
If your support thumb rides the slide or engages the safety, your grip is the issue, not the gun.

Reactions: 2sharp2

·
Registered
50 Posts
Never had a safety that sensitive before. I will have to make some adjustments to my grip to prevent this from being a problem.
I have a target 22 (different mfg) with the single flaw the safety is all-too-easy to touch. It took a few training sessions but now there is little issue since minor adjustment to my grip. Just part of the 'enhanced awareness package' a shooter needs to develop, IMHO.

Congratulations on your new Kimber.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think a better technique for me would be to keep my pinky off of the gun. Would lower my grip & keep my thumb knuckle away from the safety.
I carry a Colt Mustang in the HOT months for better concealment. It has a flush mag & I can only get 2 fingers on the gun. Gonna try that next time out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts