Kimber Talk Forums banner

Another Micro Return

2K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  micronator9 
#1 ·
Hey Kimber Peeps
Another Micro 9 sent back to Kimber. Went to my local range to “break in” and had a miserable trip. Gun had issues with FTF and FTE. Kicked myself for purchasing as I was well aware of the problems these little ones have. So, off it went to Kimber. I’m posting picture of the repair slip of items taken care of. Most noteworthy was the 4 mags of 147grain they used to test. Just goes to show how heavy a load used for break in. BTW, I sent back to factory, they repaired, shipped back to me in 6 days. I must applaud customer service. After owning several full sized Kimbers I am now a CZ kinda guy. Incredible guns that run perfectly right out of the box. That said my 2 carries are the Micro 9 and a Mako. The Micro now runs as it should but I don’t understand why corporate doesn’t address these nagging problems on assembly.
Brown Rectangle Musical instrument accessory Font Eyewear
Brown Rectangle Musical instrument accessory Font Eyewear

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome @Rick Nevada .. I've purchased 1 Micro .380 and 3 Micro 9's...all have run flawlessly from the onset..though I did break one in by relentlessly racking it before it ever seeing the range. My wife carries one Micro 9 and the Micro .380...my daughter carries another Micro 9 and I carry the one that was well broken in a Micro 9 Rapide Black Ice. Needless to say they've all ran flawless. They've shot primarily 115 grain Blazer ammo without any hiccups. I'm at a loss as to why some folks are having issues with theirs. I guess I'm fortunate to have had "0" issues. All that being said, I'm glad you have your issues resolved and can enjoy your new little gem.

#4 ·
I feel your pain Rick. Love the Micro nine and I am Kimber fan, but after THREE MICRO NINES that all had similar issues I gave up. NO gun line should ever have that many issues without corporate addressing them once and for all. It is NOT an isolated issue.
On a positive note my little Kimber Raptor Micro .380 is a favorite Micro carry and shoots great with anything I have fed it so far! Go figure!

#6 ·
1) Shoot only 147gr ammo - Kimber CS recommends this, call for yourself and ask as they are always eager to help.
2) Rack the living hell of out of thing in your free time (100s & 100s of times) - The machining and tolerances aren't what you've hoped for... Unfortunately...
3) Get a mag that works - I shoot flush mags, they have always worked for me but this is your preference (I've heard the new extended mags are reliable as well now?).
4) Clean and oil after every shooting - The amount of metal and carbon that build up on firing pin & spring is quite ridiculous (You might also find metal shavings in the gun from a poorly controlled assembly process, I had a few big shavings in the in the hammer spring channel and a big fat burr on the slide that wore a grove in the frame, sucky).
5) Grip it well - Like someone is trying to steal it out of your hand (If you have any slack in your wrist it may not cycle with proper authority).
6) Sacrifice a goat to the gods and then MAYBE you will find success?? Don't try and kill with the Kimber though :)

I changed everything on my gun to make it 'better' for me - The trigger itself and every spring in the gun is swapped. I have a Galloway slide spring and flat trigger and an MCarbo trigger spring kit that had to be modified to function. My M9 shoots 100% of the time with 147gr Federal HST. I have to clean it the same whether I shoot 1 mag or 100 rnds. This is what it took for me to 'like' this gun. It's small and snappy and not terribly accurate. It's definitely not a Glock. It's definitely not a gun for everyone and must be tweaked by the end user for full performance.

#16 ·
👌👍. I really like the micros and I was thinking of looking at buying an ESV but I am hesitant due to this experience.
We can only go with decisions based on our own experiences. Unlike you and a few others, my experiences with the entire Micro platform have been stellar. I've purchased 1-Micro .380 and 3-Micro 9's and have had no issues as of yet with the exception of the finish peeling on my M9 Rapide slide. The Micro 9's are the catalyst that turned me on to the 1911 platform...hence my purchase of an Ultra Stainless. That all being said.. I'm very pleased with my Kimber's. I've had more issues with my Ruger's and would not hesitate to buy another one. As a matter of fact a 3" SP101 with adjustable sights is on my bucket list. I think we lose sight of the fact that all these guns we buy are production runs..and yes..some with questionable finishing slip through the QC cracks and must be returned to the mothership for proper refinement. Even with all that, I'm all in on buying another one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.