Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...here in NE Georgia we've been treated to an explosion of the Asian Joro spider population this summer. The Joros were first noticed around 2013 and have seemingly taken a liking to "God's Country". I first noticed this years brood about a month ago. They're pretty similar the the normal yellow and black garden spiders that show up in late summer but a little bigger with a distinctive red area on the underside. The webs appear golden in the right light, pretty cool. The bodies of the girls in my yard look to be all of an inch long and I'll guess with the legs they they go a good 3 1/2 :oops: They seem to be still growing...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Most of Georgia is costal wetlands/ swamp/ rainforest.
They eat mosquitoes.
They get a pass from me and I fucking hate spiders.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most of Georgia is costal wetlands/ swamp/ rainforest.
They eat mosquitoes.
They get a pass from me and I fucking hate spiders.
...I like spiders for the same reason you give them a pass. They provide a valuable service indeed. This years "hatch" is Biblical up this way. I'm not sure about south GA but they're ALL OVER in Athens. There's probably 30 webs in my back yard alone. Walking the dog yesterday my wife and I noticed the same situation in every yard. If there's something to attach a web to they do. Kinda creepy but interesting to seen.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Cool little creatures... or is that BIG creatures. 3 1/2 inches is pretty good size.
They're non venomous to humans but you don't want one in your hair that's for sure!
I'll tell you what, riding your bike through one of those webs and then feeling one of these Asian beauties on your back wouldn't be a good thing. I can kinda see myself now, hanging upside-down by my left ankle from a tree...

·
Registered
570 Posts
My first thought was I love that movie. Personally I like spiders, my wife on the other hand hates them.

Reactions: cousinmark

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I hate mosquitos and spiders! In the fall around here, the spiders put up large webs at the ends of houses, garages and out buildings. A few times over the years I have taken trash out after dark and cut around the end of the house only to get a face full of spider web. Gives me the heebie jeebies. So, this time of year I get out the ether, WD or Raid and kill every last one of the SOB's that I can! Mosquitos are on their way out in the cool/cold fall and I kill the freakin' spiders to get them all covered.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
...I like spiders for the same reason you give them a pass. They provide a valuable service indeed. This years "hatch" is Biblical up this way. I'm not sure about south GA but they're ALL OVER in Athens. There's probably 30 webs in my back yard alone. Walking the dog yesterday my wife and I noticed the same situation in every yard. If there's something to attach a web to they do. Kinda creepy but interesting to seen.
In rural areas like where I live, the spiders eat the skeeters, but bats, birds and other nocturnal critters feast on the spiders.
Nature keeps a loose balance.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In rural areas like where I live, the spiders eat the skeeters, but bats, birds and other nocturnal critters feast on the spiders.
Nature keeps a loose balance.
I remember catching a tiny bat, about 1 1/2 inches long on a size 16 irresistible. I was fishing the West Canada Creek at dusk about a mile downstream from Trenton Gourge one fall. A truly iconic "blue ribbon" trophy area of the stream. I was able to release the little guy seemingly unharmed? I've got to wonder if these spiders might not feast on little bats like that one if they get any bigger???

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I remember catching a tiny bat, about 1 1/2 inches long on a size 16 irresistible. I was fishing the West Canada Creek at dusk about a mile downstream from Trenton Gourge one fall. A truly iconic "blue ribbon" trophy area of the stream. I was able to release the little guy seemingly unharmed? I've got to wonder if these spiders might not feast on little bats like that one if they get any bigger???
I doubt it, but one might get lucky from time to time.
Those little leatherwing bats will devour everything from big spiders to lizards.
They pluck them out of webs on the fly.
Snakes and lizards eat the spiders too.

Reactions: OLE442

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I am scared shitless of spiders.
They have never given me any reason, and I have no explanation.
That's all I have to say about that.

·
Registered
774 Posts
In the right place spiders are probaly good. Around the house, nah. Once you see what a brown spider can cause to and Adult or child, you kill every spider you see. I've seen it first hand and it ain't pretty.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
In the right place spiders are probaly good. Around the house, nah. Once you see what a brown spider can cause to and Adult or child, you kill every spider you see. I've seen it first hand and it ain't pretty.
Yeah those can be nasty.

Funny story:

Few years ago a good friend was cleaning out his workshop and moving boxes of stuff into storage.
I happened to call and his wife answered his phone to tell me he had gotten bitten by a Brown Recluse spider,they were at the emergency room and then she kinda chuckled.
I thought that was odd until she explained that he been bitten when the spider crawled out of the box he was carrying at his waist....and bit him on the pickle, to which I immediately asked if he had developed any super powers.
I didnt know she had me on speakerphone.
My friend was pissed at me for a month.
:)

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...c'mon MrWicked, it's hard to mistake one of these babies for a Brown Recluse? The sun came out so I was inspired to capture a little color for the archives. Here's the big girl in all her glory. You've got to admit she's a looker :)

To be clear on the Brown Recluse, they are indeed nasty little buggers. They're almost never seen in daylight unless they've been disturbed. Typically they're in crawlspaces, basements or other such dark, dank locations. The telltale "bullseye" area of necrotic flesh emanating from a bite is horrific and can ultimately be fatal is not treated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I was bitten by a Brown Recluse at work a day prior to leaving on a dive trip to Central America in 1982 on the inside of my left ankle. It didn't swell until just after landing, and the telltale necrotic flesh made identifying it easy for the U.S. doc I located from a cruise ship to treat it so I didn't have to return home on the spot. I wore a sock over the thing and managed to dive every day while there. I still have the scar from the minor surgery, along with vivid memory of the event. I hate those bastards!

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but we did watch Arachnophobia last night on Prime. :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
...here in NE Georgia we've been treated to an explosion of the Asian Joro spider population this summer. The Joros were first noticed around 2013 and have seemingly taken a liking to "God's Country". I first noticed this years brood about a month ago. They're pretty similar the the normal yellow and black garden spiders that show up in late summer but a little bigger with a distinctive red area on the underside. The webs appear golden in the right light, pretty cool. The bodies of the girls in my yard look to be all of an inch long and I'll guess with the legs they they go a good 3 1/2 :oops: They seem to be still growing...
I use to live in Cumming never saw spiders like that. Just plenty of deer in the winter & other wildlife.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts