Kimber Talk Forums banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

Registered
Nah, it fits hand-in-glove in to the Desantis leather IWB I have for my 938. "See, hon, I actually saved money!" Wonder if she'll buy that[/U]
sure

Reactions: bad ninja

Registered
..." Vehicle Details "?!
Late to the party, but recently received my new Rapide Black Ice in the .45ACP flavor and could not be more amazed at a handgun. This thing is a work of art and execution, slick as (wait for it...) "Black Ice". My first Kimber, and won't be the last (see pics).

I was going to look at purchasing a Micro 9 Nightfall to split duty with my Sig P938 Legion, but I've "pulled the trigger" on the Micro 9 Rapide instead (plus ordering the Hogue wraparound grip, just in case). Should be here by Wed/Thur.

On the fence about DLC coating the stainless steel threaded barrel to match the standard Black Ice barrel or to just leave it be. Any thoughts? THX

Reactions: Bish and Lisa93

Registered
Why does the one in the forum header have a different spring end (in the front) than mine. Is it because it's a 45, and mines a 10mm ?

Registered
..." Vehicle Details "?!
Good observation, as my .45 is certainly not like that.

Could it be an early draft image? Or maybe it's the 9mm version.

Also, has anyone replaced the short guide rod with a full length guide rod in the Rapide? If so, any differences (pros/cons) of how it runs?

Reactions: Lisa93

Registered
Personally I think the Stainless barrel looks much better.

Before changing the guide rod, be sure there is a method to your madness.
Swapping parts on a new gun can invite problems into the system.
Ask yourself what you want to accomplish with the addition of a new part.

I tell people to avoid the urge to replace parts on your new gun, unless there is a very specific reason for doing so.

Registered
Good observation, as my .45 is certainly not like that.

Could it be an early draft image? Or maybe it's the 9mm version.

Also, has anyone replaced the short guide rod with a full length guide rod in the Rapide? If so, any differences (pros/cons) of how it runs?
I think judging by the size of the hole, it's a 45. But since this isn't a Kimber site..they could have gotten that pic from anywhere.

Registered
..." Vehicle Details "?!
@ # 48(bad ninja)...

You are 1000% correct, and I normally do just that. "If it ain't broke...". I wanted to have it suppressed right from the beginning, but I also like the non-threaded barrel look. And while I also like the look of stainless steel, the DLC coating in black is equally impressive.

Registered
The more times i see that header.. the more it makes me want the Black RAPIDE too... But that one in45, and would for sure switch out that barrel to stainless, or Black.

Registered
..." Vehicle Details "?!
Probably end up with the original Black (& Gold) Rapide in .45 eventually as well. Very sharp looking 1911's

Reactions: Lisa93

Registered
..." Vehicle Details "?!
Will keep everything default on the Rapide Black Ice except for the threaded barrel and maybe the grip. I have to shoot suppressed as much as possible these days (9 military deployments w/ 6 as combat didn't help my hearing too much)...

Reactions: Jflytle and Lisa93

Registered
@ # 48(bad ninja)...

You are 1000% correct, and I normally do just that. "If it ain't broke...". I wanted to have it suppressed right from the beginning, but I also like the non-threaded barrel look. And while I also like the look of stainless steel, the DLC coating in black is equally impressive.
Coatings will eventually show wear.
That stainless with black thread protector just looks slick.
Kimber should have went with that combo.

I would shoot everything suppressed if I could.
My .300BO is movie quiet with a can and subs.

Registered
Late to the party, but recently received my new Rapide Black Ice in the .45ACP flavor and could not be more amazed at a handgun. This thing is a work of art and execution, slick as (wait for it...) "Black Ice". My first Kimber, and won't be the last (see pics). View attachment 125890

I was going to look at purchasing a Micro 9 Nightfall to split duty with my Sig P938 Legion, but I've "pulled the trigger" on the Micro 9 Rapide instead (plus ordering the Hogue wraparound grip, just in case). Should be here by Wed/Thur.

On the fence about DLC coating the stainless steel threaded barrel to match the standard Black Ice barrel or to just leave it be. Any thoughts? THX View attachment 125891 View attachment 125892 View attachment 125893 View attachment 125894
Where did you purchase the threaded barrel? Drop in? Or did it require fitting?
I think it looks fine as is, I wouldn't do anything to it.
The only TFS Kimber I have came from factory as a TLE Pro (TFS) and it's totally plain jane kind of old school and not even close to as pretty as your Black Ice.
TLE PRO TFS Labyrinth.jpg
Ruger MK III and TLE Pro Suppressed (2).jpg
TLE PRO TFS Labyrinth.jpg
Ruger MK III and TLE Pro Suppressed (2).jpg

Registered
..." Vehicle Details "?!
I purchased the threaded barrel directly from the Kimber Shop online ( .45 ACP Stainless Steel Threaded Barrel, SKU: 4000005) for $294 (+ tax).

Straight drop in with no additional fitting required, according to my LGS Gunsmith. Same specs as an original 5" Kimber 1911 barrel (not sure about other mfg'rs). The "Steel" color is very nice in the "Black Ice"...

May save the money from the DLC coating job to go towards buying another st.steel barrel to run in the original all black Rapide if I can find a new one in .45ACP.

Reactions: 2sharp2 and Lisa93

Registered
Wow, everytime I have looked at the Kimber threaded barrels they have been "out of stock."

Registered
..." Vehicle Details "?!
Got 'em in stock as of now, 26 May 2021 @ 1616...

Good Luck!

Attachments

Registered
I was actually considering a threaded 9mm Kimber barrel.

Reactions: AIRB0RNE6176

Registered
..." Vehicle Details "?!
Roger that.

You've got me thinking about getting a 9mm version of one of the Custom/5" sized 1911's, as the 10mm would be to much for my wrists (currently).

Any recommendations on which to complement the .45acp Black Ice (besides a 9mm of the same)? Something full sized...

41 - 60 of 72 Posts