Kimber Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just got an M9 STG with the intention of adding it to my EDC and I thought that I would share my experience. I purchased it about a week ago and waited a few days for the weekend to get it out to the range and test it. To start off, the thing feels great in the hand and is very accurate. It also has quite a bit less recoil than I was expecting, given the reviews that are out there. But, then again, I am used to shooting my XDs 45 3.3 so that might have something to do with it. Overall, I am happy with the M9 and hope that it will prove reliable. I say "hope" because while testing it out I ran into a pretty major issue.

During my range session I fired 100 rounds to get a good feel of the new gun. But, every 8 to 10 rounds I would get a "hammer fall" right in the middle of the mag. Not once did I get a FTF or FTE. The hammer would just not be fully cocked back after a random round. I could pull back the hammer and bang, I could empty the mag. Luckily, the "half cock" safety would catch the hammer on the sear and not cause a full auto situation. Since that was the case, I decided to just keep going to see if it would be a break in issue but it just kept happening.

Long story, short. I called Kimber and told them the situation. They said "Yeh, that's not supposed to happen". This being said with a lot of surprise in her voice then immediately telling me that the gun was manufactured in Jan of 2021. Which got me thinking that maybe this is an issue they thought they had fixed.

I did a lot of researching and couldn't find anyone else with this exact issue on their M9. So, has anyone else here seen this as an issue?

Oh and don't worry, she got me an RMA quickly and it's arriving in AL tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. You did the right thing sending it back to Kimber and not trying to work on it yourself. They will make it right.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Texas. Never had that issue with my micro 9. Glad you called Kimber and there going to take care of it for you. There customer service is top notch just like the their guns.

·
Registered
13,705 Posts
I think your the first to tell us about hammer fall on a micro9?

It should be repaired pretty quick.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Welcome to the KT forum.

You did the right thing; send it in as soon as the problem was verified. You did NOT wait a couple of weeks and whine on various forums about the problem on a daily basis. Good for you.

Let us know how she operates once back home. I'm certain it'll be 100%. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcomes everyone. I have no reason complain at this point. I have some sort of curse that plagues pretty much everthing I buy. TVs, phones, laptops, guns, there's usually something wrong with it when I first get it. It's something I've become used to, either exchanging or getting it repaired.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, Kimber has proven to be crazy fast with their repairs. I was expecting weeks, not days. They have repaired my M9 and sent me a tracking label already. I'll report with an update on what they did to it when it comes back and hopefully get to the range this weekend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got the M9 back. They polished the feed ramp, chamber, firing pin housing, and breech face.
Adjusted the extractor.
And Replaced the magazine catch spring, hammer, sear, and slide stop.
I'm happy with the speed in which they got it fixed and returned.
I hope to get to the range this weekend to try it out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I was able to get to the range and put some rounds through. To start off, it functioned very well. Out of the 100 rounds that I fired, the only issue was 1 failure to feed. As for the main issue at hand, the hammer DID NOT follow the slide at all like before sending it in to Kimber. So, I'm guessing that the issue has been fixed. Thanks to Kimber for the great customer service and quick turn around.

Now for the failure to feed issue. This could be from just needing to break it in a bit more. But, I did take a very close look at why it failed to feed when it actually happened. The slide was just out of battery, maybe by 1mm. I could tell from this that the round was getting stuck on the outside of the extractor and the force of the recoil spring was not enough to seat the round on it's extractor groove. Even pushing the slide forward or tapping it with a lot of force would not seat the round. knowing that this was the problem, I'm am now able to replicate it by racking the slide by hand with some snap caps. If you look into the port and watch the round you can see that if it doesn't perfectly slide up the bolt face and behind the extractor, then you would have a failure to feed because the extractor won't move out of the way of the casing. To me, this seems like a design flaw with this type of extractor. It's just not flexible enough to feed properly in this case. My XDs has a pivot and spring to allow the extractor to move out of the way incase this happens and seems like a better design overall.

Anyway, 1 FTF out 100 rounds isn't horrible. I'm happy to have it back and functioning properly. Hopefully, it just needs some break in at this point. Or, maybe the Galloway heavy recoil spring, though I'm having difficulty finding any real reviews on those.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just put another 100 rounds down the pipe today. 50 Federal AE 115 grain and 50 magtech 115 grain. 0 issues whatsoever. I did polish the front of the hook extractor. Just enough to take the black coating off and simulate some wear. Not sure if it was necessary but then again, no issues.

Also, something of note. The fiber optic on the front sight popped out when I started the session. No big deal, it just made me chuckle a bit.

Really liking this M9 and glad I can start to trust it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just put another 100 rounds down the pipe today. 50 Federal AE 115 grain and 50 magtech 115 grain. 0 issues whatsoever. I did polish the front of the hook extractor. Just enough to take the black coating off and simulate some wear. Not sure if it was necessary but then again, no issues.

Also, something of note. The fiber optic on the front sight popped out when I started the session. No big deal, it just made me chuckle a bit.

Really liking this M9 and glad I can start to trust it.
My micro 9 has been sent back to Kimber 4 times since buying it new two months ago.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Now that mine is back after the 1st round, it seems to be running well.

Care to elaborate on why yours was sent back 4 times?
My problems with the micro 9:
1)Bullets get stuck in chamber when firing.
2) Magazine falls out.
3) Bullets get stuck in chamber when manually ejecting.
4) Slide stop backs out when firing causing slide to lock in abnormal position.
5) Kimber said two of my new Kimber magazines were defect.
6) Slide would not lock in open position after last round was fired.
Kimber has fixed problems 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6. Kimber has not fixed problem 4, despite it being sent back once to fix it. Pistol is being sent back again today per problem 4.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My problems with the micro 9:
1)Bullets get stuck in chamber when firing.
2) Magazine falls out.
3) Bullets get stuck in chamber when manually ejecting.
4) Slide stop backs out when firing causing slide to lock in abnormal position.
5) Kimber said two of my new Kimber magazines were defect.
6) Slide would not lock in open position after last round was fired.
Kimber has fixed problems 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6. Kimber has not fixed problem 4, despite it being sent back once to fix it. Pistol is being sent back again today per problem 4.
Well damn... that's quite a bit and quite unfortunate. Sounds like you need a new Slide stop and/or slide stop spring. The spring can be a bit sensitive and can easily get bent while cleaning so you have to be careful with that. A bad slide stop could have also damaged the followers on the mags which would keep the slide from locking back properly. They'll get you fixed up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well damn... that's quite a bit and quite unfortunate. Sounds like you need a new Slide stop and/or slide stop spring. The spring can be a bit sensitive and can easily get bent while cleaning so you have to be careful with that. A bad slide stop could have also damaged the followers on the mags which would keep the slide from locking back properly. They'll get you fixed up.
Polymongrel. I appreciate your comments. Comments like yours keep me focused on what I’m trying to accomplish...simply having a gun that functions properly.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
...welcome to the forum from north Alabama just shy of the Tennessee line...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts