Kimber Talk Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here and hope I am putting this in the right place. I have a stainless Micro 9. I was having misfire issues and after much trial and error track it down to brass primer/case ammo getting "shaved" during cycling and the shaving ending up in the firing pin hole. I have polished the breach face and chamfered the firing pin hole. Also installed a new firing pin and spring. Steel primer and steel case run flawlessly. Since I completed all the work I am out of brass ammo so I can't really be sure it has cured the issue. Should I just chalk this up to a gun being finicky about ammo? Has anyone else experienced this issue? I did talked to Kimber and they said since I polished the sides of the slide (I like the look) and changed the grip panels they would have to charge me if I sent it to them which I understand but was also told they would have to refinish the slide to its original finish which I did not understand. Any input would be appreciated
Trigger Air gun Revolver Grey Gun barrel

·
Registered
34 Posts
You stated that you chamfered the firing pin hole.
That my be the cause of the problem.

One trick back in the old days was to "french" the firing pin hole on a 1911,
supposedly make it easier for the next cartridge to slide up the breech face.
In my case it resulted in primer flow into the firing pin hole. Not good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem was there before I chamfered the firing pin hole. I beveled the hole in an attempt to cure the issue after reading that the fact this had not be performed by Kimber and may be causing the issue.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I get it that Kimber likes their Kimpro (painted) surfaces, but it seems to me that a polished stainless slide looks pretty dang good. I wonder why they don't offer that option?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. The slide wasn't painted, it was a brushed stainless finished. This makes polishing a bit tricky as to not screw up the roll marks.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Welcome @Monty ..there has been a small number of folks on here that encountered the same brass shaving problem that you experienced. They seem to have alleviated it by doing exactly what you did, chamfering the firing pin hole. I have purchased 3 Micro 9's and have been fortunate of experiencing "0" problems with any of them. I'm happy you got it resolved and can get on with the pleasure of owning and operating a Micro 9.

·
Registered
15,602 Posts
Why did you not call customer service and send it in for warranty repairs?

You have Bubba Smith’ your pistol and voided your warranty…

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
As I said, I had done some custom work prior to the issue and although they were helpful they wanted to charge to put back the finish. I do take offense to Bubba Smith comment as I was a smith for many years at two local shops, but have been out of it for over 20 years and now in my 70s. Eye site not as good and hands not quite as steady but do have some knowledge. Just hadn't run into this one before. I own several Kimbers and have had good experiences with their CS. This just didn't happen to be one of those times. Also note, I bought this Kimber used.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
As I said, I had done some custom work prior to the issue and although they were helpful they wanted to charge to put back the finish. I do take offense to Bubba Smith comment as I was a smith for many years at two local shops, but have been out of it for over 20 years and now in my 70s. Eye site not as good and hands not quite as steady but do have some knowledge. Just hadn't run into this one before. I own several Kimbers and have had good experiences with their CS. This just didn't happen to be one of those times. Also note, I bought this Kimber used.
Please stick around and share your experiences with us. Part of owning a gun is the ability to personalize it so it's gratifying to your eyes when you look at it. I think the finish is quite attractive. I did that to a couple of Ruger revolvers with no I'll effect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I was a Smith, I polished out hundreds of firearms. I specialized in Rugers. Action work was my specialty and yes customizing firearm appearance is very common and wanted by many owners to make the weapon "their own" and in the majority of cases this work has no ill affect on function.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
When I was a Smith, I polished out hundreds of firearms. I specialized in Rugers. Action work was my specialty and yes customizing firearm appearance is very common and wanted by many owners to make the weapon "their own" and in the majority of cases this work has no ill affect on function.
One of the main reasons for paying the Kimber premium price is the warranty.
It's not smart to intentionally void the warranty to "personalize" your brand new Kimber, and is borderline irresponsible if you plan on carrying it.
That's where the "Bubba Smith" part comes in.

I see you already did that, which is why Kimber is hesitant to fix the problems you may or may not have caused, on their dime.
Obviously something ain't right, after your work.
No manufacturer is going to warranty your home gunsmithing on a brand new gun.

Had you not done the work, and sent it to Kimber, they would have solved your issue and had the gun back to you in about 10 days.

Pro tip: Resist the urge to modify your brand new Kimber.

I like to customize and personalize my guns too, but I'm not going to void a warranty on a new gun. That would be a poor choice on my part.

Reactions: DungFu

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess I need to repeat that this firearm was not purchased new and through the 80s and early 90s I was a licensed smith. Not saying you are not correct in saying most should not modify your EDC firearm but on the other hand I had a Kimber Solo fly apart in my hand during firing, was sent back to Kimber and returned fairly quickly only to find it totally unreliable with any and all ammo I could get me hands on so things can go awry in either case. This does go to show any firearm should be tested with 100s of round before being trusted for EDC.which I do and how this issue was discovered. I appreciate all the comments both positive and negative but my original querie was to hear from folks that have experienced this issue and how they cured it.

·
Registered
15,602 Posts
It’s not about your talent, skill, experience and having a license. Your pistol not being new is a non-issue as many reports that Kimber has repaired pistols way past the warranty period and even pistols with unknown number of owners.
It’s a legal thing…Kimber don’t know you or your background.

Reactions: ChattanoogaPhil

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok. Let's try one more time to get this back track and not about me having a beef with Kimber CS. I DON'T! I have always received prompt, courteous service. I called on this gun prior to any internal work on my part other than diagnosis. I told them it was used, no problem, they said send it back. I said I was hesitant since the grip panels had been changed (how I purchased it) and the slide sides had been polished (my doing). They still said they would fix it but they would have to put the slide back to the original finish and install original grip panels at my expense. I chose not to do that, volunteered the serial number and ordered the parts I thought should be replaced at my expense. They were reasonable, shipped promptly by FedEx 2 day and arrived quickly. So once again i do not have any issues with Kimber's CS or their products. I own 2 Micro 9s, a full size 1911 and my EDC is a Ultra Carry II .45. So I hope this end that part of the discussion and gets us back to my original question, has anyone else have actual experience with this issue and what did they do or have done to fix it.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Here's a thread that touches on "shaved brass" and what this one poster did to rectify the problem. He received similar opinions for working on his own gun. It's a good read.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agree, thanks. it was a good read up to a point where the "Smithing Police " chimed in. We are all supposed to he adults here and I don't think anyone here takes firearm litigation lightly living in the world we do today. Still there are those of us that don't want what everyone else has are we like a particular appearance of there weapons. This is true for almost everything. If it wasn't there would not be the proliferation of aftermarket companies for everything from jewelry to cars.

·
Registered
15,602 Posts
I recall a couple posts stating an issue with shavings of brass… the fix was return to Kimber for warranty repairs!

·
Registered
15,602 Posts
are you still with us...

Reactions: bad ninja

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've bought new cars and changed enough parts to ruin the warranty in first week of ownership!

Firing pin holes don't shave brass, they just catch/collect it.

Shoot some brand new cartridges and look to see where the shavings are coming from.

In my experience it's usually the extractor shaving the rim of the case.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.