Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, unfortunately it finally happened. I was at the range yesterday. Everything was performing perfectly as usual when suddenly there was a bad jam. I say bad because it was different where you just knew something was really wrong. Cleared out ammo from the chamber, removed the mag but the slide was locked back hard. I tapped with my palm and all the other things you do. I felt something fly back and hit my shirt. Thought it was maybe a lodged round or shell i missed. Racked it a few times and began shooting. Something felt different and there were nosedives. I packed up and figured I would check it out at home. By the way noticed a spot on the white shirt I was wearing and though t that maybe it was just some powder from an expended shell. When I got home I disassembled the Solo but didn't notice anything at first. For some reason I focused on the spot on my shirt and when I patted it I felt something in my shirt pocket. A black object, then I noticed a deep groove on the left side of the slide next to the firing pin, this piece fit perfect. I researched and low and behold it was the firing pin safety. I tried to put it back but something seems to be missing. It falls below the surface level or thee slide. Seems like maybe there should be a spring. Well I will see if I can contact Kimber and get some info.
A real disappointing WTF moment. Just when I had confidence in the gun.
Below is a picture I took off another site showing the area talked about.
It is the black object that is seated in the slot that I found in my pocket.
The age old question....Has anyone experienced this?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
38,381 Posts
Give customer service a call I'm sure they will take care of you. Parts can break on the best of them, I recently had a firing pin in a Sig break.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Bigdog, no, will try today and if they are not in Monday and let you know. Chuck, thanks for your comment. I really needed encouragement. It was just bizzare, When it jammed, and I knew it was complete mechanical failure and all I could do is picture was a BG at the other end and me with my $%*) in my hand instead of a gun. So hearing about the pin on your Sig does help me get my head and logic back on.
PS Now I know why I always have my LCP for back up and why so many believe in a backup gun. After all, they are all mechanical and mechanical things can break when you need them most.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I got my SOLO back today!! 10 Days after sending it. Consider 2 days there and back. They must not be busy. I am impressed. CS was great. Anyway according to the repair sheet they fixed the Firing pin safety, also repaired Slide, barrel & outer recoil spring. Best of all..."Complimentary services performed: Magazine Catch Adjusted".
WOW, for those of us who complained about how difficult it was to release a full magazine, they seemed to have listened. The magazine now releases with ease. You still need to apply a little pressure on the mag release but you can actually do it with one hand. Just enough pressure to make it easy to release but just enough tension so you don't accidently release the magazine while shooting. They ran 3 mags 124gr FMJ, 1 mag 147 gr HydraShock JHP and 1 mag of Hornady Tap 124 gr JHP.
I'm going to try to get to the range either on my way home today from work or this weekend and let you know how things work out with 100 or so round torture test. But happy and impressed with Kimber CS, ecstatic with the adjustment to the mag release!!!!!!!!! And happy as hell just having my SOLO back in my hands. Damn I love that pistol!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
38,381 Posts
I'm glad to hear you got your Solo back and are pleased with Kimbers customer service. Next step it to get to the range and see how it preforms.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Sounds like I'm not the only one who has a near emotional experience while holding certain firearms. ;)

Reactions: Oreste

·
Registered
593 Posts
Glad to hear your experience was a good one. As a range officer for more than a few years I can tell you strange things can happen at the most inopportune time! I always have my Smith 940 somewhere near.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts