Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was finally able to pick up my Kimber Camp Guard 10 in mid November. Like all Kimbers, it's a very attractive pistol with a great feel.

The 10mm is no joke. My EDC is a Kimber Ultra CDP, and I'd expect a 45 ACP in a short barreled, small gun to be relatively stout. I easily have over 4000K rounds through the CDP Ultra, so I don't consider myself recoil sensitive. The 10mm -- in a full size, heavier gun -- was noticeably stronger with an unpleasant recoil impulse. On the one hand, I am impressed and understand why people use this cartridge for hunting and bear defense. On the other hand, I will not be using this for plinking or "fun." After about 30 rounds, it's just punishing. I started breaking my sessions up with shooting other pistols with softer calibers.

I intend to keep it and practice enough to be competent with it. I like the idea of having something on the high end of the power spectrum.

I started a break-in (borrowed from Dan Wesson manual) routine of shooting 50, cleaning, repeat using Miltec or FP-10. On the second 50 rounds, I started getting about 3 failures to feed per magazine. At first, I eliminated the extended Tripp mags, but in short order, the issue continued with the Kimber mag. I thought maybe I forgot to clean it, so I made sure to clean it after that 50 rounds. No improvement. I had a few failures to eject, but the real issue was repeated feedway stoppages.

Yesterday, I called into Kimber support. They were quick to suggest I send the handgun in to check the throat/feedway. Expected turn-around is 2-4 weeks and they sent a pre-paid shipping label. Once I get the pistol back, I'll try it out and report back.

Since it was going in anyway, I asked about the trigger groves. They are extremely sharp - enough to cut skin on my nephew's trigger finger pad. I noticed it was very sharp, but I guess my skin is rougher/tougher. My finger wasn't cut. They'll take a look at it.

The customer service seems very good so far. They were professional, friendly, and very cooperative. I think their move to Troy, Alabama has been very good for customer service, in terms of politeness and being customer service oriented. Time will tell about their fixing the issue and return.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Revolver Everyday carry

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
Last week I was shooting my Raptor 45. A few months ago I removed a Fusion Chainlink msh and install a Nighthawk msh that’s checkered. The felt recoil was so much less with the Nighthawk. The original was also checkered. I noticed the Camp Guard has a smooth msh. Just a thought but maybe a new msh would make this gun more pleasant to shoot. Maybe it won’t but it’s something to consider.

·
Registered
15,602 Posts
What was your round count up to on the Camp Guard? Was you getting close to recommended spring replacement time? Every thing I've heard about turn around time and warranty work coming from Kimber's new home in Troy Alabama has been great.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@JC45 that is a great idea. It is certainly worth trying a new MSH to see if it helps. This will never be my EDC, but I can see myself carrying it in the field, open carry. Regardless, making it more pleasant would be a big plus.

@2sharp2 This is a new pistol, born on 30 June 2021 (per Kimber support). I believe this was used a little before I bought it - the seller had it listed as "used" but the text said new. He had two with very similar serial numbers. The other was sold as new. I figured somebody tried mine and returned it either because they had the same issues or because 10mm was too much for them.

Either way, there was probably less than a box through it before I received it - maybe only a single magazine. The deal was a bargain. If Kimber sorts out the issue, I will be very pleased with it and scored a good deal.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The 10mm -- in a full size, heavier gun -- was noticeably stronger with an unpleasant recoil impulse.
Fitting a flat bottom firing pin stop from EGW or Harrison will help to reduce the felt recoil. I see the pistol has a bobbed mainspring housing which means it probably uses compact frame mainsprings (hammer springs). This somewhat limits the range of mainspring weights that are available but dropping in a 25lb mainspring would also help take some of the sting out of the recoil. You might consider asking Kimber the weight of the mainspring that is in the pistol now. It may already be a 25lb spring or it may be lighter in which case you can go to the next heavier spring.

My son who lives in the Kalispell MT area has several 10mm pistols that he carries (one at a time) when he's hunting, hiking, or mountain biking in the mountains. He fills them with Buffalo Bore 225gr hardcast, flat nose bullets moving out at 1,200 fps and generating over 700 ft lbs of energy. Potent stuff and definitely not plinking ammo. But the most effective bear defense item he has is the dog that accompanies him on his adventures.

·
Registered
15,602 Posts
@TXGR, expert advice from Steve right there! IMO best you will get.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Is your gun back from Kimber yet ? My 10mm Rapide dosnt have much more recoil than a 45. Thats with range ammo, i havn't tried any of the hot stuff in it yet. The weight of a full size 1911 probably soaks up alot of the recoil. I would imagine that something like a Glock in 10mm would be pretty snappy...lol.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is your gun back from Kimber yet ?
--snip--
My bad, I should have posted an update. They returned it last weekend, which I think was remarkably fast turn around. I am overseas at the moment. I'll ask my nephew to go try it out next week to see if the issue is resolved. I am cautiously optimistic.

Kimber paid for the shipping both ways, UPS is not cheap, and they require next day air service from non-licensees. Even with a huge discount, I am sure the cost was close to $75 both ways (retail cost is over $150 each way). Better for them to make it is fixed than to have all their profit go to UPS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was finally able to pick up my Kimber Camp Guard 10 in mid November. Like all Kimbers, it's a very attractive pistol with a great feel.

The 10mm is no joke. My EDC is a Kimber Ultra CDP, and I'd expect a 45 ACP in a short barreled, small gun to be relatively stout. I easily have over 4000K rounds through the CDP Ultra, so I don't consider myself recoil sensitive. The 10mm -- in a full size, heavier gun -- was noticeably stronger with an unpleasant recoil impulse. On the one hand, I am impressed and understand why people use this cartridge for hunting and bear defense. On the other hand, I will not be using this for plinking or "fun." After about 30 rounds, it's just punishing. I started breaking my sessions up with shooting other pistols with softer calibers.

I intend to keep it and practice enough to be competent with it. I like the idea of having something on the high end of the power spectrum.

I started a break-in (borrowed from Dan Wesson manual) routine of shooting 50, cleaning, repeat using Miltec or FP-10. On the second 50 rounds, I started getting about 3 failures to feed per magazine. At first, I eliminated the extended Tripp mags, but in short order, the issue continued with the Kimber mag. I thought maybe I forgot to clean it, so I made sure to clean it after that 50 rounds. No improvement. I had a few failures to eject, but the real issue was repeated feedway stoppages.

Yesterday, I called into Kimber support. They were quick to suggest I send the handgun in to check the throat/feedway. Expected turn-around is 2-4 weeks and they sent a pre-paid shipping label. Once I get the pistol back, I'll try it out and report back.

Since it was going in anyway, I asked about the trigger groves. They are extremely sharp - enough to cut skin on my nephew's trigger finger pad. I noticed it was very sharp, but I guess my skin is rougher/tougher. My finger wasn't cut. They'll take a look at it.

The customer service seems very good so far. They were professional, friendly, and very cooperative. I think their move to Troy, Alabama has been very good for customer service, in terms of politeness and being customer service oriented. Time will tell about their fixing the issue and return.
View attachment 127748
[/QUOTE

View attachment 127748
Same feed issues with my brand new Camp Guard. Soft break in sitting around 400 rounds through it (several brands). Having a hunch that it may be a magazine issue, but I’m certainly no 1911 expert and this is my first Kimber. The factory mags feel really IMO soft while loading. Kimber customer support has been awesome. They offered to take it express. Waiting for my new mags to come in before sending it off. I otherwise love this gun. Anybody got suggestions?

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Same feed issues with my brand new Camp Guard. Soft break in sitting around 400 rounds through it (several brands). Having a hunch that it may be a magazine issue, but I’m certainly no 1911 expert and this is my first Kimber. The factory mags feel really IMO soft while loading. Kimber customer support has been awesome. They offered to take it express. Waiting for my new mags to come in before sending it off. I otherwise love this gun. Anybody got suggestions?
Honestly, just send the gun to Kimber.
They have excellent customer service.
Average repair time is about 10 days or less back to your door.
It will run like a sewing machine upon return.

Oh and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
15,602 Posts
Reactions: Thawarlock and TXGR

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Honestly, just send the gun to Kimber.
They have excellent customer service.
Average repair time is about 10 days or less back to your door.
It will run like a sewing machine upon return.

Oh and welcome to the forum!
Ditto what @bad ninja wrote. Just send it in.

I tried several mags in mine, Tripp, McCormick (IIRC), and Kimber. I would have tried Wilson Combat, but there were none available at the time. The point is Tripp and McCormick are top notch mags. I need to get after my nephew to test my gun. They sent it back in late December.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts

View attachment 127748
Hey man! I replaced my recoil spring w/ a 22lb Wilson Combat. 150 rounds so far no jams👍(I was at 3-5 per mag!) Seems to have been the problem for sure. Harder rack but not crazy. Feels great to shoot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update: Replaced recoil spring with a 22lb Wilson Combat. 3 boxes no misfeeds was at 3-5 per mag before (Federal 180/Blazer). Gun feels amazing. I am going have another couple outings with it but I think I have my bear country pistol now. After some research its looking like an across the board issue for 10mm 1911’s. Up that recoil spring rating and you’ll be good. Just the simple fix I was hoping for.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Thawarlock thanks for the heads up. I will look at that. I already have it back from Kimber, but I am overseas and I haven't been able to get my nephew to test it yet.

I don't see a WC 22lb for 5" bbl, just the compact. They do list a 24lb 5" bbl specifically for 10mm. Is this the one you bought:

This also whets my appetite to replace the MSH on my Kimber CDP Ultra with a curved metal one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@Thawarlock thanks for the heads up. I will look at that. I already have it back from Kimber, but I am overseas and I haven't been able to get my nephew to test it yet.

I don't see a WC 22lb for 5" bbl, just the compact. They do list a 24lb 5" bbl specifically for 10mm. Is this the one you bought:

This also whets my appetite to replace the MSH on my Kimber CDP Ultra with a curved metal one.
22lb should be on there. The search feature is a little weird. I bought a couple 22lb springs and the 24lb one you linked(it has not arrived yet but I plan on trying it out, as I plan on using +P). The package for the WC 22lb spring also stated that it was the standard spring for all their 10mm guns. I’m pretty sure either spring will work great.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Ohhh man. So I have one more update. Examining my brass from FTF’s I determined the fulcrum of the feed ramp and the barrel throat were biting into the soft brass. I waxed a piece of 1/4 nylon rope with stainless steel polish (ryobi brand from home depot) and put my barrel in a vice (with cloth). Sound scary? I ran that cord back and forth with tension over feed ramp and the sharp corners at the throat. Nothing crazy but I took the edge off. I could see how somebody could easily over do this. So be very reserved. There was oodles of test firing in between. My Camp Guard runs runs like a dream now. Feed ramp/Slightly underpowered recoil spring issues resolved. If you want pictures or anything let me know! I even have before and after videos.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was finally able to persuade my nephew to test the gun. Much better, but here's the report:
  • FTF, first round second magazine
  • FTF, ~45th round
  • FTF, ~80th round (JHP)
He sent me two pics I'll post below.

I will follow your advice to swap out the spring first. I should've already ordered it, but I forgot until I came to do this update.

If that doesn't work, I have to decide if I will see if it works itself out (only ~200 rounds through it so far), return it to Kimber (warranty should be good until at least end of June), or take it to a local pistolsmith to have the throat polished.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun accessory Tool

Wood Bumper Flooring Audio equipment Shotgun

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I was finally able to persuade my nephew to test the gun. Much better, but here's the report:
  • FTF, first round second magazine
  • FTF, ~45th round
  • FTF, ~80th round (JHP)
He sent me two pics I'll post below.

I will follow your advice to swap out the spring first. I should've already ordered it, but I forgot until I came to do this update.

If that doesn't work, I have to decide if I will see if it works itself out (only ~200 rounds through it so far), return it to Kimber (warranty should be good until at least end of June), or take it to a local pistolsmith to have the throat polished.

View attachment 130751
View attachment 130750
You have been here long enough to know the program.

Send it back to Kimber.

Do NOT let a gunsmith touch it, unless you want to void your warranty.
Do not polish the throat, you will void your warranty.
Kimber has been known to fix problems outside the 1 year warranty period, so don't blow it by screwing around with the gun.

Call Kimber.
Be polite.
Explain problem and ask for RMA.
Send gun to Kimber.
Recieve gun back in 10 days
Profit.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts