Registered
15,771 Posts
What Ninja and Rick said!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
What Ninja and Rick said!
As soon as @bad ninja posted that, I felt foolish for even considering an alternative. I will get the other spring @Thawarlock suggested for the future, but 1 FTF in 40 rounds is unacceptable. It should work flawlessly as shipped from the factory - it's not a Bryco or Jennings.

I will call Kimber on Tuesday for an RMA. I'm still well within the warranty period.

BTW, the FTE problem was solved completely, and they also cleaned up the trigger pad razor grooves.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have to eat some crow. Kimber just sent me a video.

After they were unable to replicate the issue in a test firing, they then ran through 80 rounds of Winchester 175gr JHP. Flawless. Here's the video:

(Pretty cool to have the job of just shooting guns all day)

I don't expect them to bill me, which just further highlights how incredibly good their customer service is, and their commitment to "making it right" for a customer.

The mags we used were the ones shipped from the factory, and then two extended Tripp mags. Now that they are back in stock, I am switching to Wilson Combat, even if Tripp is from Texas. I don't think the mag caused any issues. I think my nephew was limp-wristing it. 10mm is probably the most powerful round he's ever fired by a wide margin. He's fired some 357 Sig, 45 ACP, 38 Super, but most of his experience is with 9mm and 40S&W.

So, basically, I feel like an idiot. I let all the chatter and negativity about Kimber shake my confidence and I assumed it was the gun and not the shooter. I don't blame him either, he doesn't know, he just doesn't have the experience. I am responsible. I just wrote back to them offering to pay the cost.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I too have a new camp guard 10 and have had FTF issues from day 1. I have run about 350 rounds through it and it has gotten a little better but there has not been 1 mag that has not had at least 1 failure to feed. Many remedied by a bump on the rear of the slide with left palm. Ironically the best magazine is the factory Kimber and I have 4 Wilson combat mags that are all difficult also. I am going to send it back as all of the positive experiences listed here really have me smiling knowing that the negativity you hear about Kimber is just hogwash.

Thank you for sharing your experiences

·
Administrator
41,312 Posts
Welcome to the forum DHR Darren, give Kimber's customer service a call on Tuesday morning, be polite and explain the problem you're having, and they will take care of you.

Customer Service

Toll-Free: (888) 243-4522
International Calls: +1-406-758-2222
Hours: M–F, 8:30 a.m.– 5 p.m. Central

How about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership. Tell us something about yourself, your hobbies, and what area you're located in.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Good info. I have been tempted more than once by the Camp Guard. I'm definitely going to have a moment of weakness sometime and just buy it.

Kimber makes these guns on state-of-the-art CNC machines that have super-tight tolerances. Thus there are always break-in issues. Some say 500 rounds. I have been told by serious competitive pistol shooters they won't take a gun into a match that has less than 2000 rounds thru it - and the gun has been tweaked by their gunsmith a few times during that process. One might say it's different for a pro shooter but reliability is equally important to everybody. If it's a carry gun that's not even a question. Range guns ... we can be a bit more patient breaking it in.

I'd like to hear the rest of the OP story as time passes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
this is my Kimber Custom II in 10mm. The only pistol I have had issues with.... I changed the stock recoil spring to a 22lbs Wilson Combat and upgraded the feed lips on tripp research....after my break in it was fine!!

ALSO IT DEPENDS THE AMMO YOU ARE USING! ALL SNB AMMO DOES NOT CYCLE...
TRY DIFFERENT AMMO....TRUNCATED? HOLLOW?ROUND...ETC
Sleeve Grey Font Rectangle Luggage and bags

·
Registered
54 Posts
OK guys here's an update on the camp guard ten.
I contacted Kimber and it was 6 days turnaround time from when I dropped it off at UPS until it was at my doorstep.
Now cycles any ammunition flawlessly from a Wilson or Kimber mag and is a straight tack driver. It is extremely smooth and I couldn't be more happy with the piece.

My new Dan Wesson Kodiak will be here next week so I'm anxious to compare.

Here is what was done.
Font Electric blue Circle Number Handwriting

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just bought a new camp guard last week, I took it apart, lubed with cp-10 and proceeded to shoot and clean every 50. Constant FTF and occasional early slide lock. I just passed 250 rounds and I have noticed no changes. At 501 rounds or the very first malfunction after 500 it's going back, let them break it in with their ammo!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just bought a new camp guard last week, I took it apart, lubed with cp-10 and proceeded to shoot and clean every 50. Constant FTF and occasional early slide lock. I just passed 250 rounds and I have noticed no changes. At 501 rounds or the very first malfunction after 500 it's going back, let them break it in with their ammo!
Send it back & tell em you have 550 miserable rounds thru it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I went through 2 glocks and they both had major issues shooting "real" 10mm power loads. I got tired of that and decided to try and 1911. I ordered a Wilson mag to try in the gun, will let y'all know how it works. Hopefully it dont jam while I'm shooting caribou!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts