Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my Kimber Micro 9 Stainless and I'm debating inside my head how I will carry.
Right now I feel the safest way is to carry unchambered. I'm not thrilled about that but the
other alternative is a bit scary. Having a loaded handgun inside my pocket with the hammer cocked
and the safety on is still a bit scary . I do carry it all the time in a friction holster .
Is there ANY way the gun can discharge with the hammer cocked and the safety on?
Right now I have to draw and rack the gun before I can shoot. Has there ever been an incident where the gun discharged
while the safety was on? Is that even possible?

· Registered
16,341 Posts
Welcome to the site from Tennessee.

· Registered
4,705 Posts
I just bought my Kimber Micro 9 Stainless and I'm debating inside my head how I will carry.
Right now I feel the safest way is to carry unchambered. I'm not thrilled about that but the
other alternative is a bit scary. Having a loaded handgun inside my pocket with the hammer cocked
and the safety on is still a bit scary . I do carry it all the time in a friction holster .
Is there ANY way the gun can discharge with the hammer cocked and the safety on?
Right now I have to draw and rack the gun before I can shoot. Has there ever been an incident where the gun discharged
while the safety was on? Is that even possible?
Welcome to the forum.

I don't have a micro 9, but I carry 1911 cocked and locked like God intended.

Notice you never really hear of NDs in holsters with guns that have safeties and are specifically designed to be carried cocked and locked.

That tends to happen with guns that use a heavy trigger in place of an actual safety, like a Glock, and then something finds its way into the trigger guard.

Guns don't just fire themselves. It usually requires a trigger pull.

Carry with empty pipe?
Hell no.
Why bother carrying at all?
If you have time to draw, rack and chamber a round, the judge is going to ask why didn't you just flee the situation.
That's not self defense.

Learn to properly use and carry the gun.
If you are still afraid to carry it properly, don't.
Find a new gun.

As the great philosopher Reuben J "Rooster" Cogburn once said, "If it ain't loaded and cocked, it won't shoot!"

· Registered
448 Posts
I, too, carry a Micro-9 on occasion, after having lived with and carrying a 1911 for many years. I find it impossible for a cocked and locked 1911 style pistol to accidently discharge by carrying unless some kitchen table gunsmith completely screwed up it's insides. I'd worry more about a Glock if I owed one!

· Registered
2,568 Posts
I too have a Micro 9. I carry it cocked and locked as it was designed to be carried. I have never had an incident. I also carry it in a holster that covers the safeties so they can not be switched off by something bumping them. As others have mentioned.. the only way to discharge it is to press the trigger.

· Registered
281 Posts
Welcome from Pittsburgh. I carry a micro 9 and micro 380 cocked and locked in a holster ALL the time. Almost overtime I go to the range and shoot my guns I purposely try and fire them with the safety on. Now I do this by pulling the trigger forcefully, hitting the back of the gun with the palm of my hand while pointing down range and they have never fired. I have never dropped my gun to see if it would go off but with firing pin blocks I believe it cannot(unless modified).

· Registered
4,705 Posts
I, too, carry a Micro-9 on occasion, after having lived with and carrying a 1911 for many years. I find it impossible for a cocked and locked 1911 style pistol to accidently discharge by carrying unless some kitchen table gunsmith completely screwed up it's insides. I'd worry more about a Glock if I owed one!

Keep in mind a Micro 9 is NOT a 1911.

· Registered
2,568 Posts
Keep in mind a Micro 9 is NOT a 1911.
.. and that's a good thing! The Micro 9 is a totally different animal. The only thing it borrowed from the coveted 1911 is the format or the style. The safety is very different. The one great feature is you can flip the safety on, insert a loaded magazine and chamber a round in the safety on mode. It's a true hammer block. There's no bushings or barrel linkage to deal with. So, yep.. it's got the style and flare of the 1911, but with all the accoutrements of the modern day pistols. To me, that's a good thing.

· Registered
2,568 Posts
Which is, why it is currently the most problematic pistol Kimber produces.
🤔
Weird...isn't it? Myself and quite a few other Micro 9 owners have never had a lick of problems with theirs. They just shoot and shoot like they were made to do. The Micro 9 is a small package with a lot of horsepower..it requires an extra firm grip and specialized handling to shoot it effectively. If one is not willing to put in the time to learn how to properly harness all that..then they would probably be better off buying an Ultra. I have both..and I love both..but the Micro 9 is so concealable and such a joy to handle and shoot...and carries so well with minimal clothing. Until you've carried and shot one and shot it alot you have no idea of it's capabilities. There are a lot of bashers that come on here that are having problems and scream the gun is no good. I'm willing to bet the majority of those problems are self induced due to poor handling and shooting this little firecracker. So take the new owners comments with a bit of salt before passing judgement on the firearm.

· Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Part of routine field stripping, cleaning and reassembly is testing the safety after cleaning and reassembly (while still unloaded). It should be done every time you reassemble the pistol, and can confirm that the safety is working to protect you. Cocked and locked is the mode that the pistol is designed for.

· Registered
4,705 Posts
Interesting, but I never had issue with mine in the three years I carried it.
That's awesome.
Glad it works great for you.

A quick search of the micro9 forums right here on Kimber Talk will show you exactly what I mean.
I'm not bashing the Micro, just stating the obvious.

The only Kimber that has more malfunctions seems to be the Solo.
Some members have Solos that work great too.

· Registered
3,130 Posts
My Micro 9 has run flawlessly since day one the year they came out. A great small carry pistol with enough power to get most social situations under control.
The only mod I've done to mine besides custom grips, is to add the Wilson Combat 1911 'skateboard' tape to the front strap for a good solid hold. Kimber really should supply these tiny pocket rockets with front strap checkering or similar treatment from the factory.

My three Kimber Ultra's get carried the most, as I'm a firm believer in the 1911 platform, which we all know the Micro series is NOT a member. But it's a great covert carry if cared for properly, and to the OP, these pistols will not fire accidentally when the safety is engaged.

When I do carry mine, it's carried in a high quality leather IWB rig from Adams Leatherworks, and NOT carried loose in a pocket, which is just asking for trouble without a decent pocket holster. Pictured below with one of my Ultra's also carried IWB but in a Sparks VM2:

Great little pistols for when discrete carry is wanted, but they're no substitute for a "real" 1911, which I greatly prefer. YMMV

1 - 20 of 112 Posts