Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started carrying concealed a few months ago and I've decided to change the way I carry in the car.

I have an IWB holster and carry at 4 o'clock, so in the car I've been halfway sitting on the gun.

It dawned on me how difficult it'd be to draw quickly.

I'll probably rig up another holster, maybe in the console or something.

Then when I get where I'm going, I'll switch back to 4 o'clock.

What are y'all doing for this?

Font Revolver Personal protective equipment Gun barrel Fashion accessory

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
For local trips I usually just slip my carry gun into a padded soft pistol bag, shoved beside the seat or just lay it beside me under the armrest.

For longer trips or solo jaunts into the city, I pull the 300 blackout AR pistol from the truck safe and lay it beside me in the passenger area. ( Be sure to check your local laws before doing something like this.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For local trips I usually just slip my carry gun into a padded soft pistol bag, shoved beside the seat or just lay it beside me under the armrest.

For longer trips or solo jaunts into the city, I pull the 300 blackout AR pistol from the truck safe and lay it beside me in the passenger area. ( Be sure to check your local laws before doing something like this.)
That's how I figure to handle it. I'll probably just throw an Uncle Mikes holster in the cupholder.
For a while I just left an AR pistol in the Jeep, but with the weather swinging so much lately I figured it'd rust.
Now I only take that on occasion.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I carried IWB for years, driving for a living. For the last couple of those years I did exactly what you mentioned, mounting a holster to the console, transferring the gun between holsters as I got in and out of the truck throughout the day. It's fine, I didn't mind it. It was the carrying IWB @ 4:00 I minded, and eventually I switched to a shoulder rig. So it goes.
Regardless, the console mounted holster wasn't hard to live with, and there are WAY more options now than when I did it.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Magnet mounted on lower dash.
Sits 6” or so right in front of my right knee. Fastest way to grab it. If I get out, it gets transferred to my holster. If I cannot take it inside, goes in my console vault. EZ Peezy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had been thinking about switching to appendix carry, time to try it out. Also gonna look into magnetic mounts, that seems like the best thing. Probably a Crown Royal bag in the cupholder will serve better than a holster in the meantime.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Always carry on you.. always carry the way you walk around.. for me it’s about 2:30… cant forward... never had a problem in the car/truck
Ummmmm, nah! If you are right handed and seat belted in, there is no one on this planet that can convince me that its easy carrying that way while driving. I have not found one ounce of proof or even an argument for that that makes sense.
If you are a cop on duty, chances are you’d be out for good reason and ready to draw. But it sux for them too.
Beings most of us are John Q Public, the chances are hopefully slim to none. If you find yourself in that situation, time to move to a safer location.
Be thankful we have better options for carry in this day and age. Cause carrying on duty in 1981 sucked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah the seatbelt is why I'm leaning towards magnetic. With practice it should become easy switching to appendix carry before getting out.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I had been thinking about switching to appendix carry, time to try it out. Also gonna look into magnetic mounts, that seems like the best thing. Probably a Crown Royal bag in the cupholder will serve better than a holster in the meantime.
Only if you keep Crown Royal in it!🥃

·
Registered
674 Posts
I carry my Ultra IWB @ 3:00 in Sparks SS 2. Sometimes I just put that puppy on the center console if it’s a long ride which is rare.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Off body loose in car scares me...have collision, loose gun, pumping gas/no gun, get dragged out the window/no gun, ...

I could never holster, unholster, holster every time I enter/leave car. If you have to do that, find a way to remove gun (from your body) while in holster and reattach gun (to body) while in holster. Paddle holster, IWB with clip,

This leads me, again, to suggest two guns.
One on body, one off, or one on body and second on body that can be drawn while seated.

Pro drivers, body guards, regularly carried cross draw to facilitate drawing in car. Bianchi sells cross draw holsters tilted backward.

A right handed IWB with a clip fits, clips on a seatbelt shoulder strap pretty nice.

Now, I have a novel carry option... wear a seperate gun belt, over you pants belt. Then you can rotate belt, holster/gun, to cross draw position when getting in car.

I might buy the idea of the Crown Royal bag, if it's tied around your neck with a string, hammerless K6s inside it and you shoot through the bag! In fact I like that, a lot.
Pic please?

·
Registered
36 Posts
My primary carry handgun is always carried in a Tommy’s Original gunpack at 12 o’clock. After buckling up, I move the seat belt from in front of it to behind it, and it is easily available for a quick draw.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Off body loose in car scares me...have collision, loose gun, pumping gas/no gun, get dragged out the window/no gun, ...
--snip--

--snip--
^ ^ ^ ^
This.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My primary carry handgun is always carried in a Tommy’s Original gunpack at 12 o’clock. After buckling up, I move the seat belt from in front of it to behind it, and it is easily available for a quick draw.
I do the same with my Uncle Mike's fanny pack holster. It's, I'm sure, not as optimal as a cross draw holster, but it does allow for the pistol to be in an accessible and comfortable position while driving.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I too have thrown a holster in my door pocket for when I'm in my truck. I carry around 3 o'clock iwb. There is no way I'm getting it upholstered sitting in my truck with the seat belt on.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
...since I use shoulder holsters, it ain't a problem... ...and no, the seat belt across my chest does not limit my draw... ...also, my car has a neat little compartment right beside my right hand which is where another compact 9mm is stowed.... ...and this compartment is not the console between the seats...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One on body, one off, or one on body and second on body that can be drawn while seated.

A right handed IWB with a clip fits, clips on a seatbelt shoulder strap pretty nice.
I went ahead and ordered a magnet. I'm liking this idea of a second gun.
Already have a compact safe locked under the seat. So what I'm thinking now is I've got a SW9VE I'll stick on that magnet and then lock it in the safe when I get out.
I don't care if they call them magnets scuff-free, I won't stick a Kimber on it in a moving car.
Probably just leave the Kimber holstered IWB.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts