Kimber Talk Forums banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
...since I use shoulder holsters, it ain't a problem... ...and no, the seat belt across my chest does not limit my draw... ...also, my car has a neat little compartment right beside my right hand which is where another compact 9mm is stowed.... ...and this compartment is not the console between the seats...
I have a shoulder holster that I'm still working on getting comfortable with. I've worn it a few times and it will eventually be an ideal car rig for quick access.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I'm right handed. During my years of LE, AFand Civilian, I never even thought about how difficult it might be to draw a weapon. Even when strapped with the requisite AF holster. I always knew/know where it was/is and no how to release a seatbelt buckle, (also done with the right hand). I carry OWB, as shown in my signature avatar. I have no reason to change.

Reactions: Dadeoo

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I've been eyeing up shoulder holsters too. They seem like they're really bulky. Should be good for winter here in WI, under a winter coat.
...I wear a shoulder holster year 'round... in the hot humid summers of north Alabama just shy of the Tennessee line... ...in the summer it is a tee shirt/the shoulder holster/a long sleeve shirt worn open... ...ain't a problem if the shoulder holster is properly fitted...

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Agreed. I have some complaints about my shoulder rig, but bulk ain't one of 'em.

Reactions: Oklahomabound

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
All I'll say is, light guns are better than heavy guns with them.

Reactions: bhunted

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'll have to check those out. I've also been looking at Galco Miami Classics. They are pricey though.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I'll have to check those out. I've also been looking at Galco Miami Classics. They are pricey though.
Yes they are, but remember quality costs, period. I've been using one on and off, depending on carry conditions here for about 30 years. Have one for my 1911's and Browning Hi-Power, two more for my revolvers in 4" and 6" length. When elk hunting in black timber in the rain and snow, my 6" M629 Classic is ready all the time and out of the elements. In town in cold weather when trying to grab a 1911 out of a IWB rig is about a five second procedure, the shoulder rig is as perfect as you could ask for.

They have their place, but must be properly fitted/adjusted to give the wanted results. I'm "in" on them, especially when driving.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I've been running the Galco Jackass for a year and a half now, all day 5/7. It's almost unbelievably inconspicuous, super adjustable, and probably middle of the pack on price. The holster itself is (by design) easily the shittiest one I've ever used. I've modified it to at least keep the gun from falling out, but I still have to monitor it fastidiously. There are only so many rigs out there that let you carry down-draw cocked and locked, so I have no idea what I'll get whenever it wears out or pisses me off for the last time...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I've been running the Galco Jackass for a year and a half now, all day 5/7. It's almost unbelievably inconspicuous, super adjustable, and probably middle of the pack on price. The holster itself is (by design) easily the shittiest one I've ever used. I've modified it to at least keep the gun from falling out, but I still have to monitor it fastidiously. There are only so many rigs out there that let you carry down-draw cocked and locked, so I have no idea what I'll get whenever it wears out or pisses me off for the last time...
I have the Galco Classic Lite...agree with you on the shitty holster. Mines set up for my HK P30SK so I'm pretty sure it'll fit my new Ultra...but I'll have to wait until spring to try it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Got a KEEPER MG gun magnet. It's supposedly rated for a rifle, handgun shotgun or pistol up to 35lbs.

My S&W 500 would fall off from turning right or left, but for pistols with flat slides it'll do the trick.

Holds the Glock tight, but I bet a 1911 would turn sideways and slide around too much.

Gonna appendix iwb/shoulder holster for 1911.

Automotive design Automotive exterior Personal luxury car Tints and shades Auto part

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Got a KEEPER MG gun magnet. It's supposedly rated for a rifle, handgun shotgun or pistol up to 35lbs.

My S&W 500 would fall off from turning right or left, but for pistols with flat slides it'll do the trick.

Holds the Glock tight, but I bet a 1911 would turn sideways and slide around too much.

Gonna appendix iwb/shoulder holster for 1911.

View attachment 128343
I see the prob. You mounted it at 12. No good. The ads show that and it seems bad for most guns. I mounted mine on the side of the center console. The flat slide 1911 wont budge.
I’ll see if I can find a shot or I’ll take one over the weekend. Hope you didn’t screw it in yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CitySlicker

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I see the prob. You mounted it at 12. No good. The ads show that and it seems bad for most guns. I mounted mine on the side of the center console. The flat slide 1911 wont budge.
I’ll see if I can find a shot or I’ll take one over the weekend. Hope you didn’t screw it in yet.

I did a test before installing to see how well it would work.
I put the magnet on top of the slide of my loaded but unchambered Glock, and gripping the magnet firmly (don't try this at home) shook it side to side. The gun didn't budge.
I soured on the idea of putting any of my Kimbers on a magnet, so this position will easily hold the plastic-framed pistols I'm gonna use it for.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Glock would be fine but I thought you wanted to use a 1911. Tops are rounded so its not stable. Side of center console will let you use a variety but tito.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Took 4 shots. My edc P365 and what I believe is one of the heaviest 1911s I own. TRP Operator 45. Both on that magnet solid. Ain’t going no where and I hit some crazy bumps.

P365

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
P365

21 - 40 of 78 Posts