Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most everyone on this forum carries a Kimber.... It's a Kimber forum. My question for everyone; What kind of ammo do you carry daily. I finally tracked down the self defense ammo i have been looking for. Sig Elite V-Crown 147 gr. Have been looking for it since the begining of october when I got my micro 9.

I had been packing Winchester Defender PDX-1 147 gr. I really like the sig v-crown though. It's also what I run in my .45 if i carry .45. Just been hard to find any ammo. Much less exactly what you want. I have gathered a nice collection of 9mm luger carry ammo, though.

·
Administrator
38,888 Posts
We had a thread going on this subject a while ago, I tried a quick search and couldn't find it.

I carry a Kimber Ultra Tactical .45, and my go-to EDC ammo for years has been Winchester Ranger T.

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
Kimber Super Carry Ultra Plus .45acp Winchester Silvertips, I can't recall the bullet weight at the moment.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Good defensive ammo has been hard to come by in these crazy times. I've hooked up with some new Federal Punch JHP ammo in 124gr.

My preferred ammo is Inceptor ARX in 86 grain for 9MM...but it is scarce. I did hear that they may have become another victim of the oppressed economy. Hard to believe an ammo manufacturer going under in these times.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Not as picky as I was before the madness set in. I do like the Sig Sauer stuff. I usually carry 115 for 9mm and 185 for .45. Was a 230gr 45 guy for years and sometimes still do. Especially at places the environment will be somewhat crowded. In my feeble mind slow and heavy means less over penetration.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Another Speer Gold Dot guy here. I've been looking to try an ARX for as long as I've had a 1911 with no luck, and after this past year I have little hope of ever getting to since they were nearly impossible to find before the shortage.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
In my Sig P938 I use 9mm Federal HST 124gr, Speer Gold Dot 124gr and Remington Golden Saber 147gr. In my Ultra TLE II 45 I use Federal HST 230gr and Remington Golden Saber 230gr. I recently picked up some Sig V Crown 9mm 124gr. It was available and I ordered some but haven’t tried it yet. Golden Saber is something that every gun seems to like, it has a very round nose.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
...it varies, as does my carry... ...carry can be Colt Government Competition 9mm or Colt Government Competition .38 Super or Kimber Pro CDP II .45 ACP... the ammo is either Ball or HST; ...my limited experience is that Ball (read RN FMJ) will do its job as well...

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
...it varies, as does my carry... ...carry can be Colt Government Competition 9mm or Colt Government Competition .38 Super or Kimber Pro CDP II .45 ACP... the ammo is either Ball or HST; ...my limited experience is that Ball (read RN FMJ) will do its job as well...
.45 Ball will absolutely work, 100%.
I carry Ball ammo when out in the country or swamp, and keep a spare mag of ball ammo in my pocket.
HST are for more social settings.
HPs tend to stop IN the bad guy when ball ammo might just keep on truckin'.

·
Registered
813 Posts
In my Kimbers, the Pro Carry .45 alternates between Federal Defense 205 grain and Golden Sabers in 185 grain.

The Evo is loaded with Underwood 115 grain Nosler hollow points.

Reactions: Aviator

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Has anyone else tried the Norma MHPs? I got a box of them a while back. While they look interesting i dont carry them. I dont feel a 3" barrel will pull off the 1400 fps thus negating the entire point of the ammo. Just curious as to other peoples experience with them.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Has anyone else tried the Norma MHPs? I got a box of them a while back. While they look interesting i dont carry them. I dont feel a 3" barrel will pull off the 1400 fps thus negating the entire point of the ammo. Just curious as to other peoples experience with them.
I tend to stay away from the specialty ammo for Defence. I stick with proven man stoppers like the Ranger, HST, Golddot and Golden Sabre’s. And if your using a revolver in 357 cal. Hard to beat a 147 grain lead Wadcutter. Don’t have to depend on expansion it’s taking whatever’s in front of that flat face with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
Most everyone on this forum carries a Kimber.... It's a Kimber forum. My question for everyone; What kind of ammo do you carry daily. I finally tracked down the self defense ammo i have been looking for. Sig Elite V-Crown 147 gr. Have been looking for it since the begining of october when I got my micro 9. View attachment 125844

I had been packing Winchester Defender PDX-1 147 gr. I really like the sig v-crown though. It's also what I run in my .45 if i carry .45. Just been hard to find any ammo. Much less exactly what you want. I have gathered a nice collection of 9mm luger carry ammo, though. View attachment 125845
Micro, micro 9, EVO, K6s, s&w 637 & 642, all with hand loaded xtp!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts