Kimber Talk Forums banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
...the performance and function of XTP projectiles are right up there. I like Fiocchi Extrema 90gr in .380, countless failure free rounds through my Micro. For 9mm I like Federal's 124gr HST offering as it was available in 50 round boxes at nice prices pre pandemic. An honorable mention would be Winchester's PDX1. I have not tested handgun cartridges but it has performed flawlessly in my Ruger Mini 30. I believe it was available at top dollar prices in several popular calibers before the the drought and would probably be worth considering if some makes itself available?

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
...the performance and function of XTP projectiles are right up there. I like Fiocchi Extrema 90gr in .380, countless failure free rounds through my Micro. For 9mm I like Federal's 124gr HST offering as it was available in 50 round boxes at nice prices pre pandemic. An honorable mention would be Winchester's PDX1. I have not tested handgun cartridges but it has performed flawlessly in my Ruger Mini 30. I believe it was available at top dollar prices in several popular calibers before the the drought and would probably be worth considering if some makes itself available?
Agreed! 90 gr 380 and 124 9mm is what I carry in the xtp loads. Also 125s in 38 spcl. Been shooting a lot of the Xtreme plated bullets for practice loads. In those, the 380s are 100 gr. They’re a good and reasonably priced bullet, and feed like a dream!

·
Registered
147 Posts
No one has mentioned Hornady Critical Defense. I started using it years ago when I couldn't get POWERBALL
ammo for my 380 acp Colt Mustang. Been using it for all of my carry guns without issue.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
No one has mentioned Hornady Critical Defense. I started using it years ago when I couldn't get POWERBALL
ammo for my 380 acp Colt Mustang. Been using it for all of my carry guns without issue.
My wife uses Hornady CD when she carries her .38.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I’ve tested some calibers of critical defense ammo and it functioned great! That’s my choice in factory carry ammo as well. I just can’t seem to get away from that hand loading!!! Haha! My wife also carries the critical defense lite in a 38.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Most everyone on this forum carries a Kimber.... It's a Kimber forum. My question for everyone; What kind of ammo do you carry daily. I finally tracked down the self defense ammo i have been looking for. Sig Elite V-Crown 147 gr. Have been looking for it since the begining of october when I got my micro 9. View attachment 125844

I had been packing Winchester Defender PDX-1 147 gr. I really like the sig v-crown though. It's also what I run in my .45 if i carry .45. Just been hard to find any ammo. Much less exactly what you want. I have gathered a nice collection of 9mm luger carry ammo, though. View attachment 125845
SIG ammo shoots great in my .45 and 9mm. Also like the Super Vel ammo.

·
Registered
185 Posts
In my Micro 9 stainless I always have loaded in it hand loads with Hornady 124 gr xtp. Shoots to point of aim and tested in ballistic gel. Excellent performance and I don't expect any bad guys complaints either.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
In regard to Hornady CD, I've carried it now for a few years since it first came out in my nines and .45's with perfect function and accuracy. Terminal expansion is also excellent as can be seen in the photo. Shot with my Sig P938 into water-filled gallon milk jugs, end to end, eight deep. The recovered bullets all expanded perfectly in jug #5 and all look exactly the same. Remember this is also a 3" 9mm like a Kimber Ultra or Micro 9.

Lots of choices, but with demonstrable performance like this, CD works for me in my EDC's, and is usually available (in 'normal times').

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I don't have a Kimber carry gun...:( Hopefully a Micro 9 Raptor someday. But for now Federal Hydra-Shok runs 100% in my P95.

There is nothing wrong with a ruger. Its not so much what you carry, to an extent, it's that u simply carry. Your ruger is a much better defensive tool than a kimber on lay-away. Between dad and me we probably have 10 different rugers of some variety. American made and reasonably priced. Hard to beat a ruger.

·
Registered
185 Posts
In regard to Hornady CD, I've carried it now for a few years since it first came out in my nines and .45's with perfect function and accuracy. Terminal expansion is also excellent as can be seen in the photo. Shot with my Sig P938 into water-filled gallon milk jugs, end to end, eight deep. The recovered bullets all expanded perfectly in jug #5 and all look exactly the same. Remember this is also a 3" 9mm like a Kimber Ultra or Micro 9.

Lots of choices, but with demonstrable performance like this, CD works for me in my EDC's, and is usually available (in 'normal times').
That is same projectile I use in my handloads for my Micro 9.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thats true..and the P95 is also my FAST-15 race gun, so other than my trap gun..it's what i have the most trigger time on. And if my SR1911 wasnt so good..i wouldnt have fell in love with 1911s..So i have Ruger to thank for that...lol.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Confining it to just my 3 Kimbers....

In my 2 K6Ss I carry Hornady Critical Defense 125 grain 357 mag.

In my Classic Custom I carry Winchester 230 grain FMJ flat nose. I’ve never found a JHP round it was reliable enough with, but it’s been 100% with the flat nosed FMJ loads.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Thats true..and the P95 is also my FAST-15 race gun, so other than my trap gun..it's what i have the most trigger time on. And if my SR1911 wasnt so good..i wouldnt have fell in love with 1911s..So i have Ruger to thank for that...lol.

The FAST pistol challenge with the 3x5 card and circle?
lol.
Nice!
That's not an easy shoot.
I dont think I can do that with my 3inch carry gun, but probably could with my HK or tricked out RI 1911....just probably not in 5 seconds.

Reactions: Lisa93

·
Registered
74 Posts
The FAST pistol challenge with the 3x5 card and circle?
lol.
Nice!
That's not an easy shoot.
I dont think I can do that with my 3inch carry gun, but probably could with my HK or tricked out RI 1911....just probably not in 5 seconds.
It's kinda like that.. not as organized..and no tokens. Just store credit for 1st thru 3rd. 15 - 6in circles at 40ft. If you miss one it's a 1/2 sec penalty. So you are better off to go slower if you have to to hit them all. 3.38 seconds is the fastest i have seen anybody do it. I'm usually in the low 4sec range. But i think im gonna start using my 92FS. It's heavier..so a little less bounce, and has a shorter trigger reset. They also have a FAST-30, Which involves a reload.. There are a few people that have some kinda sooped up guns.. but just locals having fun really... I finished 3rd once..but that was only because a few of the faster folks were home sick that time...lol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm using the Remington Sub sonic 230 gr HP's. Although Remington rebranded it Sub Sonic, it's still the same old regular .45 ACP round they used to make.
It's never failed me in the past.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 77 Posts